Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why do people play evil characters?

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:32 PM EST
    You don't have to become Dragonborn Mason, I've gone through the game all the way till I was in the 40's and I stopped playing the character, I never even talked to Jarl Balrguuf
    • 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:32 PM EST
    Avada kedavra
    • 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:33 PM EST
    I'm such a nerd
    • 6 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:34 PM EST

It may be silly for you to get mad over it, but it doesn't change the intention of someone doing it... and don't get me started on unintentional evil. 

Ugh, talking about this stuff always opens a can of worms with me. I always look at things too seriously. 

• 739 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:36 PM EST

I'm aware of that Bryn, thanks for the update though...

What I'm saying is that you wouldn't get to progress far in any questline if your character is chaotic evil because doing quests often involves working alongside others to meet a goal and very few goals in the game involve evil-doing.

• 180 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:37 PM EST

I think it is fairly easy to play an evil character. An evil  person has their own moral principles just like anyone else. To say an evil person has no morals makes no sense. It is just that their concept of right and wrong, is so different to the majority of people that they are unable to comprehend it.

As for why your character would be evil from a roleplay perspective there are plenty of reasons: Acting on orders from an evil deity, acting to further their personal power, acting the way they do because they feel wronged in some way. I'm sure you can think of more.

The reason someone would want to roleplay an evil character is simple: In Skyrim, you can be whoever you want to be.

I really think evil is in the eye of the beholder. If you think your characters are morally ambiguous because they feel bad when they wrong people then that is fine and you are free to classify your character as such. However, consider how the people they steal from/ murder relatives of would think of your character if they knew what you had done.

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:37 PM EST
    True, unless you use the Ohgma infinium and just do side quest or kill everything you see
    • 80 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:39 PM EST

The difference between "evil" and "morally ambiguous" is in the eye of the beholder and perhaps is a matter of degree.  If you are a true role player, every character is morally ambiguous. Is it not morally ambiguous, if not evil, to kill?  Yet even a paladin kills, and most people would consider them a "good" character.    

I imagine what you are calling an "evil" character is simply one who always makes the "evil" choice.  Well, that is a tricky role play. How do you explain their motivation? It's hard to make that believeable, but not every player cares so much about that. 

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:42 PM EST
    Yeah I get that, but I like to roleplay my characters, just doing something cause I can has never appealed to me (except saints row 3 but I haven't played that since summer break)
    • 739 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:42 PM EST

I killed a fox with flames the other day...

I could have dispatched the creature humanely with my dagger, but I chose not to...

Because my current character doesn't give a shit...

So I watched it try to run while the fur melted to its skin...

Evil character??

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:44 PM EST
    That's just cruel... But in skyrim burning isn't Real so it's fine
    • 952 posts
    December 28, 2012 7:48 PM EST
    I have an evil character, he used to be a Bosmer hunter, with more sympathy for the Thalmor than the Empire or Stormcloaks. I made him avoid most human contact and make him go on extremely long hunting/adventuring trips. One day however I decided I wanted him to start being bored with hunting animals, and being poor. So I just said that all the solitairy hunting, his cannibal/carnivore instincts as a Bosmer, and being alone so much made him snap. And he started hunting humans for money and pleasure. Steal from people to get rich, became a vampire lord to be the ultimate hunter, to be something, someone, someone solitairy, powerhungry, someone sadistic, someone... evil.

And I sure as hell don't regret it. He's a lot off fun to play.
    • 409 posts
    December 28, 2012 9:59 PM EST

I suppose it's the fun of being able to ditch morallity and say I don't care who I kill or hurt. Something we typically don't get to do in the real world. Well some people do it in the real world and that's when there are problems.

• 409 posts
    December 28, 2012 10:17 PM EST

Ya that's also how I do most of my characters with their own personalies and verying degrees of evil my favorite is an orc I made who will kills any one if an npc makes a comment he doesnt care for he turns around and kills them then drags their body to the nearest child and eats him (namira's ring).

• 409 posts
    December 28, 2012 10:23 PM EST

Ya decided to make that character after I got tired of the goodey two shoes-ness of the paladin.

• 144 posts
    December 28, 2012 10:46 PM EST

In fallout I have a real hard time being an evil person. I just feel more connected and sympathetic to the people inhabiting that universe. But TES games and the fables, I enjoy being a dick immensely 

• 1913 posts
    December 28, 2012 10:49 PM EST
    Odd, I enjoyed being a slaver in fallout 3 for awhile. Eventually I started to feel sickened by it and deleted the character
  • December 28, 2012 10:51 PM EST

I'm the other way around, sort of. I can be 'evil' in both series. But in Fallout, I'm brutal, I killed an old lady for her glasses and murdered a city because one of the guards killed my dog.

• 158 posts
    December 28, 2012 10:53 PM EST

Good or evil, the minute a dog is killed, shit hits the fan.