Forums » The Lounge

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Movie Discussion

• 140 posts
    December 15, 2012 4:24 PM EST

Well, I have been curious if anyone was going to post this, but I have decided to take the initiative and do so myself!  (I am taking the chance that fans of a fantasy RPG might remotely be interested in this movie).  

I have anxiously anticipated the release of this movie and actually pre-ordered tickets so that I could see it last evening.  I hesitate to mention too much about it as I do not want to ruin some of the content for others, but a 2 hour 49 min movie basically takes us through Chapter 6 of Tolkein's The Hobbit. 

Overall, I am highly pleased with the movie and think Bilbo was magnificent.  Those who are book purists may be bothered by some things, but they were bothered by similar things in the LOTR trilogy (and I admit to being one of those at times, too).  I actually have read some reviews of the movie, which seem to mostly be negative.  I think this often happens with the fantasy genre, and certain critics are derisive of anything that has elves or magic.  I also wonder at some of the critics of the movie as it seems that they did not read the book(s).  So I wonder if I can be unbiased in my views of the movie as I have read Tolkein's works so many times?

I actually would like to see this again, though I am resisting the 3D version, so I cannot comment on the film speed that so many people are talking about.

So, I have not included any official movie review type comments or other commentary on plot choice, etc, but happy to share these things within the comment section at some point.  Looking forward to what the discerning members of The Skyrim Blog think!  

• 291 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:02 PM EST

Will be seeing it in IMAX Soon(tm).  All depends on when I can get my father and brother available to go at the same time.

• 773 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:09 PM EST

I'm taking my three boys next Saturday - we'll be seeing it at the local IMAX in 3D 

• 140 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:11 PM EST

Sweet!  I will be looking forward to hearing how it is in 3D...I get a little motion sick in general, which is the only reason why I have not seen it in that format.  I hope you all enjoy!

• 140 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:14 PM EST

Hooray!  I hope you can get their schedules to mesh with yours...and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  I have read so much negative that it really bums me out, and I do not think the negativity is warranted.  Next weekend is packed with family stuff, so last night was the best time for us to go...I just could not find my elven ears in time to celebrate, though!  

• 291 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:21 PM EST

It's probably going to be awesome and the critics can go sit and spin on a bunch of pinecones for all I care. :D

But we'll see.  I've read Tolkein probably as much as you have, but what I learned with the LOTR movies is to take any movie adaptation and treat it exactly for what it is: an adaptation.  It's not going to be exactly like the books, because that wouldn't make much sense for a movie (they'd have to provide housing services to really do the book exactly as it is word for word...you'd be camping out there for at least a week, watching non-stop).  

Since The Hobbit was done by basically the same folks that did LOTR, then it's going to be awesome and Peter Jackson and co would have to try really hard to screw it up.  (From what I've seen of the production blogs, it looks like they've got it right on track once again.)

• 140 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:35 PM EST

Flaming Gandalf pinecones would be highly appropriate, I think!  I appreciate the laugh!

I have to agree with you on the differences between books and adaptations...Tolkein is a delight to read, but goodness, he has to be edited I think in order to make a movie, so I honestly have no problem with that.  The stories Tolkein writes are so powerful because I believe that he touches on the deepest heartstrings in humanity and our desire and struggle for what is good and right.  I do think the movies preserve that spirit, even though they may deviate some from the established story.

(Clapping hands in excitement)  I really hope you get to the theatre...I so want to talk about it with someone else!  

• 377 posts
    December 15, 2012 6:22 PM EST

I saw it last night and it was GREAT! Peter Jackson and his crew really know how to make a good movie. The actor that played Bilbo was great. I had read The Hobbit about 10 years ago, so it was fun repeatedly remembering things from the book. I really don't have major complaints, I thought it was great.

• 285 posts
    December 15, 2012 6:37 PM EST
    Haven't seen it, but I can't wait to!
    • 52 posts
    December 15, 2012 8:53 PM EST

I'm thinking of posting a build for this movie of that one White Orc.(I think his name was Azlak, correct me on that if i'm wrong.) But i don't know how to put pictures when i'm making the content. If someone could put up a tutorial video that would help me a lot , and i'd be ever grateful.

• 52 posts
    December 15, 2012 8:56 PM EST

I thought it was a great movie, though the moment when Bilbo fell of the bridge and didn't die was kinda WTF though.

• 291 posts
    December 22, 2012 4:37 PM EST

Okay, I've now seen it, and it was quite good.  For the most part, very true to the book, and I went in expecting as much and was not disappointed.  However, there was something...run-onish about the plot, probably because I would blame Tolkein for writing the Hobbit that way in the first place.  Just seemed like it went on for quite a while then suddenly stopped.  Maybe it was missing a proper denouement.  Or maybe the stopping point wasn't the greatest ever.  Maybe it's also because I know there's sooooo much more to be shown.  I feel like I sat down and watched one third of a movie rather than a whole movie.

Which just goes to show, once all three come out, I'll have to watch them all in succession to see the book properly.

I guess it's just that Lord of the Rings seemed to be better set up to have a trilogy format.  You had 6 books, and the movies very faithfully delivered in showing two books at a time.  The Hobbit is a standalone novel that is, quite frankly, not very long, yet we have a trilogy being made from it.

I suppose the next movie will stop with Smaug, because after that, there's the whole Battle of Five Armies business (that I ALWAYS forget is in The Hobbit).