Forums » Elder Scrolls

High elf dilemma

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 7:45 PM EST
    I have a problem, I just created a high elf who is going to be allied with the thalmor, and like all of my characters I planned on having him get married (everybody deserves some happiness, right? (Go ahead and call me a sap, or a hopeless romantic. I don't care)... The problem is, there is only one high elf who can be married, and she is a complete bitch (pardon my French).

Can someone come up with a good roleplaying reason to marry any other character? I was hoping for Mjoll the lioness or maybe one of the housecarls (Jordis or Lydia, screw Iona, no one cares about her).
    • 140 posts
    December 11, 2012 7:50 PM EST

Hi Hunter!  I played an Altmer scholar pacifist who managed to "fall for" Ysolda.  She is a Nord who seems to be more open minded towards other races and seems to be actually interested in learning about them (example is her interest in the Khajiit and her puzzlement at their poor treatment).  

If you are role playing your Altmer as a purist, then I think the Altmer female in Solitude is your best choice.  But as you work out your character's quirks, some one else may come to mind...sometimes the game mystically makes these things happen.  

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 7:51 PM EST
    I don't want a trader, I want my character to actually be married to a person, that's why I always hate seeing videos of people who use there spouses as a quick way to make money. The same goes for followers, they are not human pack mules, I carry my own junk and if I can't carry it all, I drop some of my items.
    • 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 7:55 PM EST
    No offense, but did you not read the end of the first paragraph? "The problem is, there is only one high elf who can be married, and she is a complete bitch (pardon my French)."

But I could see the reason my character falls for someone is that he gets to know them and realizes humans are not so bad as other high elves think they are (Ex: Serana)
    • 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 7:56 PM EST
    I take my characters spouses on adventures with them, that way they can protect each other from dangers.
    • 140 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:00 PM EST

I did read the last paragraph Hunter and I apologize for trying to answer your question.  Unfortunately she is the only Altmer out there, and I understand that you do not like her.  I was simply making suggestions for an RP perspective.  What are the character's motivations other than a Thalmor supporter?  Why has he chosen to support the Thalmor?  Perhaps if you can answer those questions than the appropriate spouse will make sense.

And yes, offfense taken.  I was only trying to be helpful and polite.

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:05 PM EST
    I'm sorry, it's just I hate that character sooooo much... And I only married her once to see if she is nicer (spoiler: she isn't). I feel bad for making you offended when all you were doing was trying to help me, please except my apology :(
    • 140 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:19 PM EST

No problem Hunter.  It is the difficulty with communicating solely by written word and one cannot note an individual's tone very well, so you may have meant your comment in a teasing manner.  I see now by your other comments that you are looking for a companion...is your character planning on joining the College or Companions?  Brelyna at the College is a nice option for a magic user companion...

I think you could make a case for any of the ones that you mentioned...bravery in adventures could make any one of those Nordic warriors fall for your fella!  

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:22 PM EST
    Thank you, and that could work. Brelyna was always one of my favorite characters, she is adorable and has the funniest quest in the college quest line.
    • 291 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:32 PM EST

Hmm, I could see an Altmer maybe marrying a Breton if they proved to posses a degree of grace, perfectionism, and familiarity as well as affinity for a more formal approach to life.

That leaves you with two options:  Senna, a priestess of Dibella.  And Muiri, the assistant at Hag's Cure in Markarth.

However, there are problems with both of these:

Senna is known to be quite forward and flirty, which may be interpreted as offensive to any self-respecting Altmer.  Especially since it only exacerbates the colloquial perception that Dibella worshipers are "east".

Muiri requires completing a Dark Brotherhood quest to make her a candidate, and her need for revenge might be seen as off-putting, depending on your Altmer's character and may not be feasible if you decide not to join the Dark Brotherhood.  However, her personality is more respectful of the two as she only wishes to be left alone to pursue her interests.

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:38 PM EST
    I remember commenting on a video showing you how to marry Muiri. I said
    "so you kill her ex-lover and basically closest thing to a sister she'll ever have and then you can marry her? that's romantic (sarcasm)". So yes, she is the better out of those two, but it is a little odd marrying a girl after killing her former lover and closest thing to a sister she has.
    • 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:40 PM EST
    And it is funny that the comment is still a top rated comment for that video
    • 291 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:47 PM EST

I think that all depends on your perspective.  It would be odd coming from someone whose mind is not bent on conquering or displaying strength in such a way (which is admittedly not a very Altmeri perspective).  But yes, it is a bit weird.  In thinking about it further, I doubt Muiri would really want another relationship of any kind given that level of estrangement from those she's loved very deeply.  She is likely a very damaged person.

I do have to second that Brelyna is another good choice, though it would depend on how religious your Altmer is and whether or not Brelyna is open-minded or has renounced her attachment to the Dunmeri pantheon (which would certainly be at odds with the Altmeri pantheon).  As a student in a quest for knowledge, and as a young and impressionable person, it is possible she could latch on to the Altmeri myths were they presented in a manner that attracted her.  Actually, here you could have the opportunity for your character to take on a professorial role--a mentoring role.  Or he could lure her in with the promise of unfound knowledge in the powers of the Aedra, then attempt to persuade her to believe in them once those powers were discovered.

• 23 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:47 PM EST

Well if your character is a thalmor supporter... The faction he supports wishes to destroy the very dimension you reside in, destroying the towers in order to bring an end to the kalpa, and an end to mundus. In order to restore there immortality.

Of course a low level / medium level supporter may not know the overall plan, so from a roleplay perspective could be blind to that... BUT a thalmor supporter certainly would not want to take a human (nord or otherwise) as a wife, considering the thalmor even view other elves as beneath them.

Unfortunatley, if you are roleplaying as a thalmor... well, YOU are roleplaying as a complete bitch. It would be akin to being a member of the KKK, and marrying an ethnic minority because they're "nicer", it goes against your characters believes. And contradicts the very point of the roleplay. 

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:49 PM EST
    I love it, that sounds like the perfect reason... Now I just have to come up with a reason for why he has white hair... He dies it regularly, or was born part witcher.
    • 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:50 PM EST
    ^dyes
    • 291 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:54 PM EST

Or he's part snow elf.

Or he had an unfortunate accident as a child with misplaced magic.

Or...you could pull a bit of biblical reference and say he had an encounter with one of the Aedra, that left his hair white, prematurely aging parts of him a bit.

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:56 PM EST
    Hey, I've read a few stories that could come up with a convincing way to make a thalmor fall for a Nord who believes in Talos (even though most of the stories are of Ondolemar and the Dragonborn)
    • 1913 posts
    December 11, 2012 8:59 PM EST
    I like the second idea best. I have a feeling that if he was part snow elf, the gene that would make him have white hair wouldn't work (I have no idea if that is correct, I'm not great with genetics)