Forums » Elder Scrolls

Does anyone else not like magic?

• 11 posts
    November 22, 2012 1:25 PM EST

Hello everyone. I recently joined the site after lurking for a year. As my first "contribution" to the site, I would like to pose a serious question. Now, looking at the title, I'm wondering if anyone else here does not like magic. I have never done well with magic in a lot of games and Skyrim is no different. I'm not sure what it is exactly. Maybe I've never learned to spec myself for it or maybe it's a subconscious RP factor. I do usually feel better in a game with a sword and heavy armor. I do, however, like abilities that are similar to the ones in Dragon Age: Origins, such as Sunder Arms and things like that. Thoughts?

• 133 posts
    November 22, 2012 1:30 PM EST

Are you kidding? How can you not like magic? Magic along with skooma is what keeps Skyrim running 

• 966 posts
    November 22, 2012 1:32 PM EST

Don't forgot sleeping tree sap. Dat effect.

• 856 posts
    November 22, 2012 1:48 PM EST

My major complaint about magic in skyrim is the small number of existing spells.  We need more utility spells (such as 'open lock', 'find traps', charm (to help speech/barter), etc.) as well as more variety of existing spells (eg more weapons to conjure, more metals to 'transmute', more specialized runes, spells with increased damage for increased magic cost, etc.).  Some of these problems would've been solved if they had just included the ability for us to create our own spells.  Also enchanting should never be able to negate spell cost.  I would've removed all spell reduction enchants as well as the fortify artisan enchants/effects or at the very least capped it.

• 1913 posts
    November 22, 2012 1:58 PM EST
    Yeah, the only magic I tend to use is conjuration (for weapons) and illusion but illusion makes me feel too OP. everything else is either useless or the only good spells in it have a minimum or needing 50+ in order to use it
    • 11 posts
    November 22, 2012 2:35 PM EST

I agree with you and RuneRed. More utility spells would have helped. I also would have preferred some of the spells to be cheaper. I love runes, but I always hated having to use what I considered useless spells to get to them.

• 44 posts
    November 22, 2012 2:55 PM EST
    when i first started playing skyrim i didnt like magic one bit,but now i'm starting to see its usefulness but i still wont go for a pure mage....maybe you should go for a hybrid build like i did using both melee and magic.
    • 44 posts
    November 22, 2012 2:57 PM EST
    for a sec i thought you were gonna make An arrow in the knee joke lol.