Forums » Elder Scrolls

Want to evaluate my build?

• 21 posts
    December 16, 2011 4:12 PM EST

I'm intrigued by the Character Building group, and thought it would be interesting to see some of the character-creation gurus on this site sort of "reverse engineer" the build I've developed.  Let me say off the bat that I went into the game with a play-as-you-want mindset, without too much forward thinking as to how the end-result would be.  My Dovahkiin is not a mish-mash (I don't think), but he's not as finely-tuned as any of the builds on the Character Building Group.

Anyway...I just hit level 47 as a Nord, and here's my info:

Perks

• Two-Handed Barbarian (5), Champion Stance, Devastating Blow, Great Critical Charge
    • One-Handed  Armsman (5), Fighting Stance, Savage Strike, Critical Charge
    • Light Armor  Agile Defender (5), Custom Fit, Matching Set
    • Block             Shield Wall (1), Power Bash, Deadly Bash
    • Smithing       Steel Smithing, Arcane Blacksmith, Elven Smithing, Advance Armors, Glass Smithing
    • Enchanting   Enchanter (1), Soul Squeezer, Soul Siphon
    • Destruction  Novice Destruction, Destruction Dual Casting
    • Restoration  Novice Restoration, Apprentice Restoration, Respite, Regeneration, Recovery
    • Conjuration  Novice Conjuration, Apprentice Conjuration, Adept Conjuration, Summoner, Atromancy

When my skills get high enough and I level up a tiny bit more, I'm going to take Elemental Potency (Conj.), Dragon Armor (Smith), and Deft Movement (Light Arm.)  That will take me clean to level 50.  Not sure where I want to go after that, though I have thought about putting some perks into Archery, just enough to zoom in and slow time a bit.  I'm a horrible shot with the bow.

Skills

• Two-Handed (92), One-Handed (81), Smithing (95), Block (61) Archery (35), Heavy Armor (27)
    • Conjuration (66), Restoration (63), Enchanting (61), Destruction (32), Alteration (24), Illusion (21)
    • Light Armor (97), Lockpicking (67), Speech (61), Alchemy (19), Sneak (21), Pickpocket (16)

So there it is.  The main criticism I anticipate is that I put too many perks into both one-handed and two-handed,  My reasoning, though, is that I wanted to be good with pretty much all melee weapons.  I wanted to be able to use a sheild (which requires one-handed, obviously), and I wanted to be able to have a staff in the other hand if need be.  (Or just cast candlelight, clairvoyance, or summon Atronach's with the weak hand during a fight).  That being said, I definitely wanted to be able to use a greatsword or a battleaxe well, and deal serious damage when the situation called for it.

I think of myself as a fighter with some conjuration on the side.  But all my armor and weapons are enchanted, and I have some destruction staffs that I use here and there.  I collect and fill soul gems non-stop, and am fairly decent at lockpicking and persuasion.

Thoughts as to what I should call this build?  (a la the Character Building Group)  Ways I could improve?  Things I should've done differently?  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 739 posts
    December 16, 2011 5:05 PM EST

You have done a pretty good job balencing your one handed and two handed skills, they are both very high considering. Hopefully when you make your next character you will know which style you preferred and focus on just one of them to save yourself points.

Conjuration is my favourite and definitely a strong choice if your primarily a melee character, it allows you to quickly cast as you enter combat and then continue fighting as normal knowing that your summon is chipping away at opponents in the background. They are also good for ferriting out hidden enemies, using as decoys if you have to escape a tight spot, or casting into that 'spooky looking room' you dont want to set foot in.

I believe you have picked the weak side of the tree in enchantment, although your perks sound cool carving a path straight down the middle of the tree towards extra effect is the path to a strong (sometimes overpowered) build. Smithing is obviously looking good. Restoration is looking strong, recovery perk/s probably not needed. Probably to late to start destruction training now.

My advice to finish this build, select mage stone, kill yourself a wolf and spam soul trap at its corpse to get conjuration to at least 75 for your dremora lord, preferably 100 for two of the buggers. Job Done.

Class? Your a fighter/summoner/healer so a Cleric maybe?