Forums » Elder Scrolls

Do you look for dragons or do dragons find you?

• 9 posts
    December 13, 2011 9:06 AM EST
    I usually am walking along and a dragon pops by and is like hey there I'm going to hurt you.
    • 6 posts
    December 13, 2011 9:32 AM EST

They will usually find you. There are locations where dragons are however you will usually be given a quest to kill them and these locations will be added to your map. You can however stumble upon these locations just by exploring.

• 21 posts
    December 13, 2011 9:37 AM EST

Yes, dragons tend to come and say "Ohaithar!" I've been on quests such as the one for the Thieves Guild to torch beehives and a dragon got there first and burned the lot.  Who got blamed?  WHO I ASK YOU???  I killed the dragon but noooo, ungrateful sods.

• 17 posts
    December 13, 2011 10:14 AM EST

They find me. Usually at the College and Dawnstar. (if that is wrong then it's because the current tv I am using isn't great for gaming)

I have hunted down a dragon on purpose those, ofr a bounty lol

Also, I was exploring as normal and saw the little dragon head thing and went towards it, you know, to find another thu'um and all. Well I came over the hill and a dragon was just sitting there, the tip of his tail twitching like a cats. I was like...... HOLYSHIT! I ended up getting detected and it was a fight to the death! I won, obiously :D

• 37 posts
    December 13, 2011 11:17 AM EST

Its a bit of both for me, sometimes i'm out questing/exploring and all of a sudden am attacked from above by a dragon and other times i actively seek them out, because as already mentioned, they are often guarding words of power which i crave.

• 577 posts
    December 13, 2011 11:27 AM EST

In the beginning I was looking for them, of course for the word wall. But now, not so much. If I see a dragon skull on my compass that hasn't been discoverd, i will definatly go to it. Boy that's gotten me into trouble. I always try the short cut, skimmin cliff walls etc. The funny thing is, when I get there, there's always a trail leading to it. haha!! Sometimes though you have to go through a cave to reach it. Well, I encoutered that once. Mainly I see/fight them when I fast travel. I need to chill on fast travel, but that's a whole nother blog.

• 82 posts
    December 13, 2011 11:35 AM EST

So you ever hunt dragons and come across them already getting owned by something else? I was going after the wordwall for Frostbreath in that volcanic area south of windhelm.  I hear the dragon but I don't see it.  I get to the wordwall to learn frostbreath, and look down, and there the dragon is attacking a giant and a Mammoth.  I'm ready to go charge down the hill to kill the dragon but the giant kills it first.  I get down there and still absorb it's soul, but it wasn't me who killed it.

• 14 posts
    December 13, 2011 3:34 PM EST

They usually find me, sometimes when I'm very carefully trying to avoid drawing the attention of a giant and his mammoths. Thaaanks, that's great.

I do go hunting for dragons (and dragon walls) when I see a dragon head marked on the compass. It may look weird for an adventurer walking down a path to suddenly stop and spin around in a complete circle but it's worth it.

I just found a map of dragon burial sites that uses Kynesgrove as a reference point. I don't know if I'll try to use it but I'm keeping the map just in case.

• 708 posts
    December 13, 2011 3:51 PM EST

I'll go to any word walls marked on the map and fight any that attack me but I won't go chasing after one I see in the distance. If I'm really stuck on souls, I can just go to Winterhold, it seems to constantly get attacked by up to 3 at once!

• 377 posts
    December 13, 2011 5:53 PM EST

Both. Making and selling dragonscales armor is very profitable!!!

• 66 posts
    December 15, 2011 4:14 AM EST

Just found a word wall there was a dragon there, dispatched of it then an NPC called Krosis pops out of a coffin, i'm AWMGNOWAI and proceed to play the "i'm behind this rock but you can't see me lol now you've given up and i'm sneaking behind you to shoot you" game that worked and I got a mask called Krosis.

But usually dragons seem to find me, thankfully i'm in a city most times and the guards help me out, being a sneaky character is such a disadvantage vs a dragon 

• 739 posts
    December 15, 2011 6:58 AM EST

Man, i filled my pants the first time he came screaming out his coffin at me!

• Jay
    • 12 posts
    December 15, 2011 7:24 AM EST

Statistically the more you play the more your random-dragon-encounter ratio will increase.  Meaning, at some point the amount of random dragons you encounter will be far more than mission-based dragon hunts. 

• Jay
    • 12 posts
    December 15, 2011 7:26 AM EST

When that dude popped out of the coffin I nearly dropped an ingot.  He was way harder than the dragon, too.