Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dragons don't actually attack in major cities?

• 21 posts
    December 11, 2011 6:42 PM EST
    I've put in over 100 hours, and have yet to experience a dragon attack within the walls of any of the 5 major cities.  Falkreath, Riverwodd, sure.  But once you need a loading screen to enter, it seems like Dragon attacks are turned off.

Has anyone seen a Dragon attack within the cities of Whiterun, Windhelm, Riften, Solitude, or Markarth?
    • 2 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:02 PM EST

I have fought a dragon in Solitude.

• 21 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:10 PM EST
    Really?  Whereabouts in the city?  (Just out of curiosity).  Did any named NPCs get taken out?  (For me, Alvor got iced by a Frost Dragon in Riverwood at one point).

Thanks for the info.
    • 739 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:15 PM EST

No me neither mate! Ive only fought them on the outskirts of cities, like around stables and whatnot and they LOVE the college of winterhold. The big cities are considered as interior cells in this game and i dont believe dragons can maneuver convincingly in such closed spaces, oh the lag if they did though..... Still i may yet be surprised.

• 708 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:16 PM EST

I know I can call Odahviing inside a city and he can roast guards, but I'd say normal dragons can't enter the interior cell.

• 132 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:20 PM EST

I've fought dragons in Solitude, Whiterun and Riften. It just seems to be much rarer than outside, I've only fought one in each. Plus the damn dragon corpse in Solitude is still there

• 17 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:33 PM EST

I've wondered the same. I don't know if the normal dragons attack inside the major walled cities. It would be cool though.

Everytime I go to Dawnstar and the College there is a dragon. ALWAYS! And I think it is going to start happening to Whiterun too lol

• 31 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:37 PM EST

Yep, I've watched footage of a dragon attack in Whiterun. Player took it out and then got killed by a motley group of hired thugs!

• 739 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:48 PM EST

Man, those hired thugs always turn up at the wrong time!! I was on my way to use Farengars enchanting table once, walked in and a bloody thug was using it! And his mate was busy creating poisons to kill me at the lab next door.  (no really, they werent just standing there, they were busy crafting away)

Turned out old farengar wasnt pleased about me stealing his two soul gems while he was sleeping and had decided to take out a hit on me.

This is actually a testament to radiant story people, those thugs that come to kill you actually visit the person who takes out the hit to collect the contract first! Very clever.

• 17 posts
    December 11, 2011 7:54 PM EST

I've had fired thugs attack me because I wouldn't leave someone's porch lol

• 577 posts
    December 11, 2011 10:53 PM EST

Yeah, what's up with that? ha! everytime I fast travel to Winterhold there's a dragon. EVERYTIME! It's like a pesky fly to me now. ha!!

• 17 posts
    December 11, 2011 10:58 PM EST

I know, right!? I hate it! There was one time though that a dragon was flying baove Winterhold and then it just flew away. I was so happy! But I ended up having to re-load my game for some reason and then it attacked >.<

• 18 posts
    December 11, 2011 11:05 PM EST

I have over 230 hours and have yet to experience a dragon attack inside of a city as well. I thought that they couldn't "spawn" in cities, because of the fact that I had not seen one attack.

• 6 posts
    December 12, 2011 12:58 PM EST
    I've been attacked inside whiterun a few times. I do most of my smithing there and the dragons tend to show up while I'm overloaded with weapons and armor
    • 8 posts
    December 12, 2011 1:28 PM EST
    They do attack the major cities and they can be a pain in the ass as soon as you start fighting them in one part of the city they fly to the other side.
  • December 12, 2011 1:59 PM EST

I have seen a dragon flying outside Whiterun. But it didnt attack sadly.

• 6 posts
    December 12, 2011 2:08 PM EST

Ive fought a dragon in Whiterun twice and once in Solitude.

• 132 posts
    December 12, 2011 2:17 PM EST

Depends which city. I fought one in solitude once, and the guards surrounded it and turned it into a pincushion in seconds. I had time to shoot about 2 arrows before it died.

• December 12, 2011 2:19 PM EST

Solitude

It's really rare and only happened once.

• 1 posts
    December 12, 2011 3:00 PM EST

I fought one just outside dragonsreach, within the walls that is.

• 2 posts
    December 23, 2011 3:44 PM EST

It was in the place where you first enter the city. I don't think any but guards were killed. ALvor got killed by a dragon for as well.

• 81 posts
    December 23, 2011 4:05 PM EST
    I haven't seen one yet either , I guess it's just really rare.
    • 10 posts
    December 23, 2011 5:21 PM EST

I've got attacked at Winterhold twice by a dragon, I also fought a dragon in Whiterun near my house!

• 16 posts
    December 23, 2011 5:29 PM EST

Ive only seen an elder dragon in Markarth......I died

• 10 posts
    December 23, 2011 5:38 PM EST

I've dealt with one, inside Solitude. Didn't have the problem with the corpse sticking around for too long as some have mentioned. It happened near the slope that leads to Castle Dour. Pretty bad place for a dragon to choose to swoop down on, considering the number of Imperial guards nearby.