Forums » The Lounge

Are You Afraid of the Boogeyman?

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 12:17 AM EDT

Since it's Halloween month, I'll be doing a series of threads on horror/terror subjects. This one is for Julian since he told me I should do a thread on the boogeyman.

I think most of us can remember huddling under our indestructible shield (otherwise known as blankets) on those long pitch dark nights, wide eyed and terrified as we stared at our closet door or imagined what was lurking in the darkness beneath the bed. When you peered into the impenetrable void, what did you imagine was lurking there? Was it in human form or something twisted? Did it slaver for flesh or just want to disembowel you?? Did you use a nightlight to keep it away? We really want you to tell us about the monster that lurked in the darkness of your room.

Go towards the light, Carol Anne, Nooooooooo stay away from the light, Carol Anne.

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 12:21 AM EDT

I still to this day can not sleep with my closet open. I know there are only clothes and shoes in there, but what if one day there wasn't. My closet could be a door to a parallel universe of nasties, then one small rip in the fabric of space/time and boom, out they come. I know that small latch on the door will hold them at bay. Also, maybe they don't have doorknobs there and are unfamiliar with how to turn one...

• October 6, 2012 12:33 AM EDT

To this day...

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 12:37 AM EDT

What the heck are those things, Matthew?

• October 6, 2012 12:56 AM EDT

Cliff racers from Morrowind, the most annoying enemies I've ever fought. A.) There are a shit ton of them. B.) They give diseases 95% of every encounter. C.) They swarm like crazy. D.) They have a really weird hitbox( mixed with Morrowind's weird dice-rolling combat they were a chore to fight). E.) THE FUCKING SCREECHING! F.) They will track you for miles on end. G.)They waste so.much of your time-_- I was going to post a picture Tommy Wisaeu but for some reason I can't copy &paste ATM but I already had this pic on standby ;)

• 490 posts
    October 6, 2012 1:21 AM EDT
    The worst would be shirts hung up over my door and pants on hangers on my room's door knob, so when I would wake up mid dream or be going to sleep, it would look like a tall figure would be hovering over me. I would be too scared to take them down since that would mean getting out of bed!
    • 952 posts
    October 6, 2012 7:49 AM EDT

I just didn't like darkness because I didn't know what was in there. I got over it when I was like 7 or something.

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 5:34 PM EDT

Then don't read House of Leaves or you will be afraid of the dark again, Dieter.

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 5:35 PM EDT

LOL, Henson. You were terrified of pants and shirts that you KNEW were pants and shirts. That is awesome.

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 5:38 PM EDT

Sounds annoying Matthew. I hate flying enemies. They are always a pain. Raks in Borderlands. GRRRRRRRRRR!!

• October 6, 2012 5:39 PM EDT

• 952 posts
    October 6, 2012 5:44 PM EDT

I don't think that's in the library.

• 668 posts
    October 6, 2012 5:47 PM EDT

I'm warning you, it will mess with you! I am not kidding on this. It twists your psyche. 

After I read it, I had a bad time.

I was sleeping upstairs when I heard the phone ring in the middle of the night. I started racing down the stairs in the pitch darkness to catch the phone. At about the last step I realized that I was in utter and complete darkness. I started to panic thinking oh my god, I'm never going to get out of this. So I bolted like a startled doe and ran as fast as the wind "through" what I thought was the kitchen door. Turned out to be the hall wall...which I smacked into face first at top speed. Sooooo good luck with that.

• 668 posts
    October 7, 2012 11:40 AM EDT

Wow, Jo D! And yet I bet there are those kids that still won't mind. Is that a local legend? That is super interesting. I love monsters.

• October 7, 2012 12:16 PM EDT

UGH!

#1 - I never told you to make a thread about this, you where thinking of it and where maybe not going to so I told you to.

#2 - I thought this was supposed to be about someone's 'personal boogeyman', something they where afraid of. Even today.

When I was a kid I knew that there where no monsters but I still was scared by the thought of them. I remember I was scared that there where monsters under my bed, and occasionally I'd look, cause despite the fact that I knew there where none I was still scared. The other thing that used to scare me at night was that I always would imagine I saw some kind of red eyed demon dragon thing outside the window.

I was also afraid of burglers or murderers coming to the house.

• 668 posts
    October 7, 2012 12:41 PM EDT

Julian, WHAT??! You got all up in arms cuz I did the questions thread instead. I swear. YOU! 

And it IS about your personal boogeyman, correct?! You are impossible.

I used to dare myself to look under the bed sometimes. But basically, I was more afraid of what was in my house in the daytime to be too afraid of things I couldn't see.

• 668 posts
    October 7, 2012 12:43 PM EDT

Holy crap, Jo Daro...a headless fire-spitting mule. Sounds amazing. I may date a priest just to become one. That is awesome. Sack man, sounds eerie...

• 57 posts
    October 7, 2012 12:49 PM EDT

I was years ago but now Im like : COME AT ME YOU SON OF A ****  

• 668 posts
    October 7, 2012 1:54 PM EDT

Scar you so crazy! The boogeyman will shred your innards!! RUN! RUN!!

• October 7, 2012 2:02 PM EDT

From what you say in the thread main part it seems like you are asking what you where afraid of at night etc. when you where a kid/younger kid.

• 291 posts
    October 7, 2012 2:28 PM EDT

There are no clothes, there is only Zuul...

• 291 posts
    October 7, 2012 2:32 PM EDT

It's a great book, though.  Read it anyway.  Just read it in the daytime when you can see into all the corners. ;)

You can also lay measuring tapes to make sure your rooms don't change sizes.  And nail the windows shut so they can't close on you.  And remove the doors so you can watch each room.  Then install some Hi-8's so you can monitor the whole house at every moment.

But still...you may end up with a hallway that goes into nothing...

• 291 posts
    October 7, 2012 2:43 PM EDT

The boogeyman that haunts me to this day doesn't have a singular shape.  It's just a mass of darkness with reaching hands that grasp and clutch and choke and drag you into its depths.  Sometimes it creeps.  Sometimes it rushes.  The very worst part is knowing you feel it coming for you, but you're an adult, dammit, and you don't act scared of things that aren't there.  But still it's coming, rushing at you, and you can feel it's predatory stare.  So you spin around, terrified and wanting to see this nameless thing...

There's nothing there.  But you can't shake the feeling that something was right behind you.

• 140 posts
    October 7, 2012 9:13 PM EDT

Let's see if I can unwrap that knotted mess of neuroses that I have tried to carefully keep hidden all these years...

Yes, I believed that if I held my blanket all the way up to my neck then it would protect me from vampire bites.  Closet doors and drawers had to be closed, with the light completely on and not by me.  And nothing could hang over the edge of my bed in case something underneath decided to grab me (we do not use bed frames by the way, and it solves that whole, what is under the bed? debate with the kids....yeah, right, the kids!)

My kindergarten teacher read a poem by James Whitcomb Riley I think about something that lived in holes that used to snatch children.  Well, I believed it was true and was terrified to walk around outside. 

I also distinctly remember an episode about the girls in the bathroom chanting "Bloody Mary"...that old urban legend.  Scared me too, and honestly still sorta does.  I stay away from scary movies in general...

• 668 posts
    October 8, 2012 1:19 AM EDT

What library, Dieter? It probably isn't since it was out of print for several years.