Forums » Elder Scrolls

What Type of Character Do You Play?

• 557 posts
    September 11, 2012 7:30 AM EDT

After ten months of playing Skyrim, I'm sure we've all played through a lot of different characters. I don't know about you, but I've witnessed Alduin's destruction of Helgen well over twenty times! 

With that being said, I would like to know what type of characters you all usually play. Do you play a warrior? A mage? A thief? Some type of combination? Leave your Character Type in he comments, let's see how many of us have the same taste in character! 

• 82 posts
    September 11, 2012 9:05 AM EDT

Some type of Warrior Hybrid.  My favorite character is based after Ponty's Paladin.  I am also starting a thief/warrior hybrid.

• 739 posts
    September 11, 2012 9:34 AM EDT

I'll have to go with strong hybrids, if I'm running a pure mage I miss combat and vice versa if I'm running a warrior class. I don't mind characters that start weaker because of varied skill options because I know the end result will offer far more enjoyment and versatility.

I really enjoy crafting (maybe I'm the only one) I just feel weird running past 4 butterflys when I'm using a character that doesn't utilise alchemy for example, feels like a waste. Most of my characters will use one or two crafting skills.

My favourite character so far was as a pure Sorcerer I think, lots of magic yet able to embrace close combat and tank beautifully.

• September 11, 2012 10:06 AM EDT

Chronic backstabbing disorder. Literally and metaphorically.

• 856 posts
    September 11, 2012 11:02 AM EDT

I play a wide range of characters; from "single class" to pure hybrids - old, young, male, female, mer, man, beast, powerful, gimped.  Their common thread is role-play.  I usually design my character's background before creating the avatar.  I choose a 'profession', personality traits, goals, and a quick background.  My characters are mostly good aligned, partly because it is more restrictive than 'evil', making for a more interesting playthrough (even my 'evil' characters work within a set of personality traits - I never play 'insane psychos' - really no role-play elements there).  I retire many of my characters in the mid-20's, and never play past 50th.  

To summarize:  I play a wide variety of characters, always with role-play.

• 856 posts
    September 11, 2012 11:06 AM EDT

I know how you feel about running past butterflies... I was playing a Bosmer staying true to the 'green pact' - flowers were so tempting.

I usually have a crafting skill for my characters as well.

• 140 posts
    September 11, 2012 1:10 PM EDT

Interesting discussion, Emer!  I kind of take a similar approach to Rune Red, and develop character backstories with certain goals in mind.  However, I always find myself personally attracted to making a spell sword type character in the first couple of play throughs, and then a pure mage.

I do try to role play as much as possible...even if I cannot find an inn or bed roll to sleep, then I try to find a fairly secure place to "set up camp" and just wait the game out a decent amount of sleep time.  I do not do dead is dead like Rune...maybe some day when I am more skilled.

I like crafting, too, Mason, but try not to do them all in one character.

• 490 posts
    September 11, 2012 1:35 PM EDT
    I am a melee fanatic.

Assassins are fun but get dull and too easy at certain points in a playthrough. Pure mages are a hoot, but not my cup of tea most of the time. Pure warriors are fun, but I always like using magic to buff my character.

My character now is a more refined (no wasted perks this time!) of my first character. A holy warrior/knight who only uses restoration as his only "offensive" and defensive type of magic. The rest is weapon and shield and what I like to think is a deep and rich role play. Tons of fun and posting tonight.
    • 1 posts
    September 11, 2012 2:10 PM EDT

I'm new to this website and this is my first discussion post. I love this blog site and the character builds you guys make are super awesome. I've seen Alduin burn Helgen down more times than I can remember but my absolute favorite characters have a sneak base and with that base usually comes alchemy and archery but I've played around with totally different builds. Nothing beats sneaking behind someone and supplexing them to death!

• 66 posts
    September 11, 2012 6:26 PM EDT

The characters I seem to be most successful with are the ones that utilize stealth.

With the exception of most dragons enemies can be dispatched before they even know you're there which, for me, is very satisfying gameplay.

Added to this the amazing *thunk!* you hear when your arrow strikes its mark - Bethesda did such a good job with that sound.

• September 11, 2012 6:42 PM EDT

No Snake's disagrees( look up the Demonhunter if you don't get the joke) :P Welcome to the site, Mason II.

• 10 posts
    September 14, 2012 4:17 PM EDT

Mostly characters that use alchemy and archery i love poisons!

• 557 posts
    September 15, 2012 7:40 AM EDT
    I love poisons as well. There's nothing like poisoning your enemies with a paralysis poison while you hack them to pieces.
    • 10 posts
    September 15, 2012 9:18 AM EDT

Yeah i use mostly use paralysis + lingering damage health

• 28 posts
    September 15, 2012 10:00 AM EDT

Well, my most played character is a sort of archer/paladin/assassin thing. Maxed out archery for range, Skyrforge Steel sword and Restoration spells for close-range combat, and enough sneak so that I can easily assassinate people, even while wearing my Ancient Nord Armor. No crafting at all (still leveled smithing but put no perks into it).

Having that much variety sometimes brings difficulties(there was one particularly frustrating battle with a Death Overlord that stays in my mind) but actually makes the experience more satisfying. If I can kill a fully armor clad warrior in three swings, why shouldn't he be able to do the same? Makes combat very intense and visceral.

• 557 posts
    September 16, 2012 1:48 PM EDT

I do love playing on challenging characters. It makes the game much better.

• 557 posts
    September 16, 2012 1:49 PM EDT

I actually like weapon/magic switching. Nothing makes me feel better than casting a nice flame cloak and then hacking away at my helpless and charred enemies!

• 661 posts
    September 16, 2012 2:03 PM EDT

Anything that involves Katanas, Kamehamehas, and killing.

• 557 posts
    September 17, 2012 6:55 AM EDT
    Do you use any of the builds that use th? Or just play and use them?
    • 6 posts
    October 25, 2013 1:43 AM EDT
    Mine's a battlemage, with a bit of thievery here or there for some quick cash
  • October 25, 2013 1:48 AM EDT

My most used character is also a battlemage that mostly on focuses on restoration and alteration magic while wielding a unique weapon (dawnbreaker for example)

• Al
    • 23 posts
    October 25, 2013 2:05 AM EDT

I've played a lot of sorcerer type characters, but I've come to enjoy just about all playstyles for the most part.

• 108 posts
    October 25, 2013 5:03 AM EDT

" I just feel weird running past 4 butterflys " haha I can relate to that so much. Every nirnroot that is calling out for me would be such a wasted opportunity. ^_^

• 108 posts
    October 25, 2013 5:07 AM EDT

I love to mix playstyles and keep them challenging, but enchanting seems such a waste since I rarely need more than one outfit. And enchanting is definitely evil, so most of my backstories don't fit.

• 40 posts
    October 25, 2013 6:59 AM EDT

I like to play any character with a bow. Doesn't matter if they are using stealth or not. I just like bows. And I have to role play or I couldn't continue to play. I would have gotten bored long ago.