Forums » Elder Scrolls

To bound or not to bound.

• 144 posts
    August 22, 2012 7:35 AM EDT

Is using bound weapons advisable? I think they are really cool, but with smithing don't they seem under powered? 

I'd like to use them for a new build but if they won't hold up in the end game I wont bother.

• 708 posts
    August 22, 2012 7:48 AM EDT

Depends on the build really.

Pros:

• Levels conjuration on hit
    • With the Mystic Binding perk has the same base damage of an equivalent Daedric weapon
    • Can be perked for infinite charge enchantments
    • Cannot be disarmed
    • Weightless, allowing for lots of power attacks
    • Super-fast draw speed on the Bow
    • 100 free Daedric Arrows every time you summon the bow
    • Looks wicked cool

Cons

• Have to summon it every time
    • Only 120 second duration
    • Unsummons whenever it is sheathed
    • Doesn't improve over the playthrough
    • Don't work with Elemental Fury

Depending on your build I think they can be really good, if you're already using Smithing it's kinda redundant though. Personally on my Arcane Bladesman I found them really good, as I could spend Smithing perks elsewhere.

In the end it's really dependent on the other skills your build will use.

• 952 posts
    August 22, 2012 8:34 AM EDT
    Well, I haven't seriously used them yet, but to me they seem to be a bit of a waste of magicka without the right perks. When you invest perks in making the weapon stronger and giving it new effects it's very strong against conjurers and other mages. But without those perks it's just a sword that instead of costing you weight, costs magicka instead.
    • 708 posts
    August 22, 2012 9:07 AM EDT

If you're using Bound weapons you pretty much have to take Mystic Binding otherwise there's no point. I found Bound Sword's cost fairly negligible past level 10 or so but the Bow and Axe still have a pretty big hit, the bow in particular. The bow is a favourite of some assassin types, once you get quiet casting.

• 377 posts
    August 22, 2012 9:17 AM EDT

I thought it leveled conjuration when summoned in the presence of an enemy. One way of leveling up conjuration was to go annoy mud crabs and then summoning a weapon and then sheathing it, while avoiding their pincers. Slaughterfish might work as well.

• 377 posts
    August 22, 2012 9:20 AM EDT

I say it might be useful in the early game, but it becomes obsolete in the late game. You can't improve them at a grindstone or enchant them.

• 708 posts
    August 22, 2012 9:25 AM EDT

I'd have to disagree there, I find them perfectly viable later on. You can spam power attacks, and put perks into areas other than smithing, and the Bound Bow has pretty much infinite Daedric arrows and a crazy fire rate with the fire rate perk.

Of course if you're using Smithing to improve armor it's pretty redundant.