Forums » The Lounge

Help with VPN's

• 426 posts
    July 16, 2012 8:06 AM EDT

Im going to be moving to the UAE in a month or so and I know that there access to the internet is restricted. To be able to still access sites like the Skyrim Blog Im going to need a VPN Virtual Private Network. Could any of the PC Techies out there give me some pointers as to my best course of action. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• 856 posts
    July 16, 2012 10:41 AM EDT

I have very limited knowledge on the topic, but this link may help.  At the bottom of the linked page is a link to get a VPN connection.

Most of the restrictions I understand, but it's sad that they don't allow skype - I don't really understand that one.  (I understand does not equal agree with).

• 2 posts
    July 16, 2012 2:55 PM EDT

We use https://www.witopia.net/ at our school for the faculty that visit China.

We have been very happy with it, and it has allowed them to get around the firewall there.

• 34 posts
    July 16, 2012 6:13 PM EDT

I personnaly use HMA VPN at home, About 12USD a month but I like it. I don't plan on getting rid of it in the near future. Website Proxies are not a bad option either but they are a bit more limited.

• 426 posts
    July 17, 2012 5:17 AM EDT

Thanks guys Will these allow me to use my x box and access x box live? or are they purely for pc's? Sorry Im clueless lol 

• 2 posts
    July 17, 2012 12:21 PM EDT

There is no way to configure a VPN directly on the Xbox that I have found. 

You will either need to have a Windows Laptop connected to the VPN via Wireless, then sharing it out of it's ethernet port to the xbox (http://www.intl-alliance.com/store/en/content/12-vpn-xbox360)

Or you will have to purchase something like Witopia's Cloakbox and connect the xbox to that.

What ever vendor you decide to go with, try to get a confirmation email from them that they will work where you will be going. Good Luck

• 856 posts
    July 17, 2012 12:28 PM EDT

There are some tutorials on youtube that may show you how - just try a search for 'xbox' and 'vpn'.  I didn't actually watch any, so I don't know how involved it is nor do I know whether it requires you to make a purchase.

• 426 posts
    July 17, 2012 1:14 PM EDT

Thanks Anthony I will look into it 

• 426 posts
    July 17, 2012 1:18 PM EDT

They only supply it to US addresses Im based in the UK but this is def the thing I need cheers again man