Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim General Tips Thread!

• 20 posts
    July 1, 2012 12:45 PM EDT

Hey guys, I had this idea where we all add general non-spoiler tips for the game, and create a huge thread of all our tips. Let's try to get to 500 tips! I'll start with 5 of my own.

1. Give a follower a torch and they will use it when it's dark.

2. Waiting one hour will refill all your health/magicka/stamina bars.

3. Shops reload inventory and gold every 2 in-game days.

4. Save as much as possible.

5. Loot based on a 1/10 weight/value ratio. For example, those boots that are worth 10 gold but weigh only 1? Take 'em. But don't take that warhammer that's worth 50 gold but weighs 20.

• 952 posts
    July 1, 2012 5:13 PM EDT

Try not to die, if this happens a lot you should lower difficulty or try fighting properly.

• 856 posts
    July 1, 2012 8:10 PM EDT

I use number 5 as a rule of thumb as well. 

I wrote some Adventuring Tips just a few days after launch.  They'll be my contribution.

• 16 posts
    July 1, 2012 8:15 PM EDT

Instead of waiting, as in number 3, save, kill the merchant and reload.. You can run ahead of hadvar or ralof and speak to arvol or gerdur prematurely their arrival to get Before the Storm quest as soon as soon as possible, etc.. I know a bit more but I have been a little bit off the game latelly.

• 708 posts
    July 1, 2012 8:23 PM EDT

To quickly mine ore you can hit the ore vein manually with a pickaxe equipped, minecraft style. Dual wield pickaxes and pop on level 3 elemental fury for some real fast mining!

• 668 posts
    July 1, 2012 8:50 PM EDT

Get to high ground and use a ranged weapon when fighting dragons. (Or bait a trap with Skittles)

Enchant a necklace for underwater use.

Smith A LOT at first.

• 342 posts
    July 2, 2012 2:15 AM EDT

isn't that a 50 skill point talent in the stealth tree?

• 577 posts
    July 2, 2012 3:08 AM EDT

Did not know that...

• 577 posts
    July 2, 2012 3:14 AM EDT

Take a nibble of EVERY ingrediant....

If your married, put the seat down after using...

• 20 posts
    July 2, 2012 12:09 PM EDT

Whenever you see oil on the ground, there is usually a lamp that you can shoot so it can fall and ignite the oil.

• 144 posts
    July 2, 2012 8:10 PM EDT

wow, very good advice, i'll do that!

• 144 posts
    July 2, 2012 8:18 PM EDT

6.) Get the Transmute Mineral Ore in Halted Stream Camp just north and a little west of whiterun and Mine as much iron ore as you can. Smelt the gold Ore and make Jewelry, increasing your smithing, then enchant them, increasing your Enchanting. then sell the finished product for Booku Bucks.

7.) Don't worry about getting the best armor set you can, worry about getting the perks in your selected Armor skill tree. Even steel armor can nearly get the maximum Armor rating with the right perks!

8.) Don't shun Vampirism because of its disadvantages. they can be easily overcome. Plus, with the necromage Perk from the restoration skill tree, You can be a mighty Spellcaster.

• 16 posts
    July 2, 2012 8:32 PM EDT

Lol I always wield two pickaxes and a word of elemental fury haha!

• 16 posts
    July 2, 2012 8:33 PM EDT

Also you can jump for the same effect and not unwield the weapon, in case you have a conjured weapon for example.

• July 2, 2012 10:11 PM EDT

for xbox players: when waiting, press the xbox home button in the center of your controler right after you press a  and the waiting process goes 5x faster

• 577 posts
    July 2, 2012 10:20 PM EDT

In a hurry are we?lol