Forums » General Gaming

Magic the Gathering

• 22 posts
    June 19, 2012 10:25 AM EDT

Hey guys I've been playing magic for about 12 years now, more then half my life. But I was wondering if any of you guys play and what's your take on the game. I generally play casual with the group I play. We are very relaxed and we don't really care about restricted or banned cards. Unless it's EDH format because that stuff can get pretty out of hand. I did play type 2 for about half a year during the Zendikar block but nothing to serious because frankly I don't have the money because I'm not working right now and I'm still in high school. I prefer playing red, green, and blue decks. black and white IMO are just to boring but certain decks can be a lot of fun like re-animator decks .

I just want to get your guys' opinions on the game, what format you guys play. Basically I just want to talk about magic outside of my normal crowd!!!!

• 856 posts
    June 19, 2012 11:00 AM EDT

I used to play in tournaments, but that was many, many years ago - just a couple of years after the game came out.  I mainly played in double tournaments, and my partner and I came in first in every tourney we entered.  I quit playing at some point, but my partner continued playing - he went on to become state champ, a feat he repeated 3 times.

My most valuable card that I ever owned was a Mox Pearl - but I traded it for many cards including several dual lands, a mirror universe (whose value decreased after some rule changes), and many cards - I got about double in value for the mox.

I still have many of my cards, although most of the dual lands I sold at about 10 dollars each.  I plan on selling them all at some point, and I recently found a dealer.

I had quite a bit of fun playing in the day.  I played nearly every type of deck you can think of.  My favorite was a direct damage deck that involved destroying everyone's lands and creatures (including my own) - it was a multicolor deck, but the direct damage was almost all red.  I also had a deck that could lock the game - it involved Zur's Wierding and simply running my opponent out of cards - once the lock was fully established there was no defense.

If you have several people wanting to play at once (eg 3 or more), you may want to try this varient.  It is known as 'attack to the left', which in a nutshell meant that you could only attack the opponent to the left with creatures, but anything else could be directed to any opponent.  With an even number of players, partnership games are fun.  We also played a game that involved 5 players, one player of each color - our only rule there was you couldn't use cards that mentioned any opponent colors (so if you were playing white, you couldn't use circle of protection 'red', for example).

Well, you brought back some memories - have fun playing.

• 22 posts
    June 19, 2012 11:24 AM EDT

My father and brother actually co own a Mox Sapphire. My did as a complete set of white boarder dual lands. Any of the originally dual lands can go for a minimum of about 40 bucks so I'd check what you have lol. I have tried the game where every one plays 1 color and it's pretty fun. We play once a week and we have about 10-12 people on that said night. was you Land destroying deck did it involve the dingus egg?

• 856 posts
    June 19, 2012 11:56 AM EDT

No, there were no dingus eggs at the time... I used 'Wraith of god' and 'Armageddon' to destory lands and creatures.  I sold most of my dual lands long ago (I had at least 4 of every type) - $10 was the going price then - thx for the heads up on the current price, I am going to a dealer this summer.

• 54 posts
    June 19, 2012 12:22 PM EDT

I have recently just got into MTG, and I play standard games with friends occasionally.

• 22 posts
    June 19, 2012 12:44 PM EDT

Yea they've gone crazy in price lol can't go wrong with wraith of God it's still the end of be all get rid of everything.

• 22 posts
    June 19, 2012 12:45 PM EDT

How do you like the game. And what aspects of the game do you enjoy.

• 54 posts
    June 27, 2012 12:33 PM EDT

I like the strategies one can make with good cards. In all respects it all depends on your individual skill and your deck is what I've seen.

• 22 posts
    June 27, 2012 1:09 PM EDT

I have a similar philosophy on the game as well. Where it's more on if your a better player rather then if you have better cards.

• 856 posts
    June 27, 2012 2:24 PM EDT

oh, minor correction... I did see dingus eggs toward the end of my playing.  It would not have worked w/ my deck very well anyways since I destroyed my lands too.

• 8 posts
    June 27, 2012 6:31 PM EDT

Funny that someone should post up a discussion like this because I was just wondering if anyone else on this site played mtg.  I have been playing for about six years and I usually play in a tournament every friday and one or two days besides a week.  

I would be extremely interested in learning what kinds of decks you guys have played (for standard) I for one have played so many different decks that I have lost track (mostly standard) this is my current standard tournament deck... http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/green-white-humans-29/

• 22 posts
    July 5, 2012 12:01 PM EDT

I don't play standard bu in the last 3 drafts did I played green white and either came in 2nd or first and the other person (my bro) also played green white. the drafts were all the Inistrad block.