Forums » General Gaming

How do you pick your names for your RPG characters?

• 82 posts
    June 14, 2012 12:44 PM EDT

Hello All,

I am just curious how all you pick your names in the RPG games you play.  I always have a frustrating time figuring out names for my different characters in Skyrim, Diablo 3, etc.  Are there a few names you always pick in every game?  Do you consult the internet name generators?  Do you try to find names that fit with the lore of the given game?  I honestly wish this part of the process doesn't frustrate me so much.  I have scrapped high level characters because I just didn't like the name I originally picked. 

What's your process or do you even care?

• 952 posts
    June 14, 2012 12:46 PM EDT

I usualy look for the style they used for NPC's of certain race, and create a name that makes sense and doesn't sound too odd.

• 856 posts
    June 14, 2012 12:49 PM EDT

I try to select names for my character that fits the lore, sometimes following it with their profession, e.g. Gaz gro-Shurgak (male orc), or Ja'Riis the Hunter (khajiit).  I don't bother with the name generators, but rather look into lore for examples of names for my chosen race.

• 82 posts
    June 14, 2012 12:51 PM EDT

I've done that, I've also picked names from history or from some side character in a movie I liked.  That's easier to do with ES, not as much with a game like Diablo 3 where lore seems to take a back seat. 

• 297 posts
    June 14, 2012 12:53 PM EDT

I usually make them in character create first and then see what would suit them, Here are some names i have used in Skyrim, Jiiblets, Azazel, Bobin Wood, Atarak, Tiberius, jh'darr , Charadon, so as you see there is often no rhyme or reason other than i look at the character and ask myself who are you?

• 82 posts
    June 14, 2012 1:01 PM EDT

I've used that one before, I think I got my Paladin's name Bothos from there. 

• 63 posts
    June 14, 2012 1:30 PM EDT

Same. I poke around the lore bit. For example gro- and gra- that is always part of Orc names to indicate male/female. I have an Orc character waiting in Helgen at level 1 whose name is

Eleeza gra-Dushku... ... ...named after an actress from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Eliza Dushku) get it?

Nephili, my Breton mage is meant to sound "Breton" which is based on Norman culture in France. It's based on my searching for a female demon name on the Googles. It's a shortened form of the ancient jewish word Nephilim, which means Fallen Ones apparently

Other names are either made up to sound like lore or I just picked a name from TES wiki sites listing names used in past games. Tarerane for example is an Altmer female name.

• 952 posts
    June 14, 2012 1:56 PM EDT
    That one is good only for human races. But you should avoid it for Orcs, Kahjiits, and Argonians, because it gives them stupid and wrong names. The project itself is very interesting though, I still wait for some new releases.
    • 82 posts
    June 14, 2012 2:02 PM EDT

I like that name Nephili, Nephilim are from the old testament, they were fallen angels who mixed with humans (there's also another school of thought that refutes this).  Actually a huge part of Diablo 3 lore by the way. 

I'm trying to figure out a cool name for Demon Hunter on Diablo 3.  Can't decide on one.

• 297 posts
    June 14, 2012 2:14 PM EDT

what about Rolento a demon hunter with a spanish flair "OLE!"