Forums » The Lounge

Our amazing Universe and Beyond

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 10:59 AM EDT

I am a huge lover of science as I know several of you are as well. And even if you are not, I am sure that you can appreciate some of the beauty and wonder that comprises this place we reside. I wanted to make a thread dedicated to your favorite bits of science, the part of the universe you find most interesting or astounding, even if it's right here on Earth. Here are a few of my favorites.

I'll start with Ganymede, one of Jupiter's moons. I've been fascinated with this moon all my life.

Black holes. One of the ultimate mysteries in space.

Nebulas, the star nurseries:

And of course, Higgs Boson, explaining special relativity and quantum physics one particle at a time.

I've named a very few of my favorite parts of this vast universe. Will you show me yours? :)

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:10 AM EDT

The Horse head nebula

• 238 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:13 AM EDT

i love everything space ........really has me in awe the size and mystery of it all......and how in the heck it came about.........im not believer in big bang theory.......firstly because human theories are usually always wrong haha.

i also love ancient aliens on discovery channel. it really explains how the pyramids and how worm holes exist and to be honest.........i think you have to be really naive to not believe in extraterrestrial beings.

theres countless proof all over our planet that theyv been here. and if you look at all living things.......dna matchs 99%...........u throw us into the mix.....and our dna only matches by....1%...........so its amazing how people BELIEVE science when it proves something acceptable and ordinary........but when it proves something such as the dna....something.....unbelievable that changes everything and is even very scary at thought......it is ignored.

to put it briefly ........i believe in the annunaki.......and im an ordinary guy trust me haha. just open minded. 

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:14 AM EDT

Imagine that, Charles. Horsies again.

Nebulas are such amazing places. They give us a glimpse billions of years into our past, it's incredible.

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:14 AM EDT

what?

• 856 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:20 AM EDT

I love science.  I used to be a science teacher (physics, astronomy, earth science  primarily); perhaps I'll return to that profession one day.  I could place a zillion (that is too a number, it's a little less than a bizillion) pictures here.  I'll just post two for the moment:

The red spot on Jupiter. A hurricane-like storm that you could fit three earths into:

And, my favorite moon of Jupiter, Ganymede (and our best chance of finding life outside of earth imo):

(yes, Shannon, we both love Ganymede).

• 966 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:22 AM EDT

I very much doubt real aliens have been on Earth, it doesn't explain pyramids or the nascar lines and such, we already KNOW exactly how they were made, and it doesn't involve aliens.

I do believe Aliens are out there, although maybe they are not even high tech. But the chance is very small that we will encounter any, since most stars dont have planets around them, i do believe in the big bang, we understand many things, although we still dont understand everything, like black matter, the higgs bozon may not even exist... So many things, i know quite alot, i'm a true follower of QI, they teach many things, like that the Earth has seven moons, and that our main moon once contained live untill it collided with the Earth.

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:27 AM EDT

Ryan hmmm. There are layers of universes parallel to ours where things exist that we cannot even fathom. As far as life in the far reaches of space, well I will quote Francis Drake:

I've never heard of the annunaki sorry. And not all human theories are false. We have some pretty brilliant minds that make up this place.

• 856 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:29 AM EDT

Actually, most stars probably do have planets around them...especially the population II stars.  New planets are being discovered in other star systems practically every day.

And I agree, we do know who and how the pyramids were built - I wish 'aliens' would quit stealing credit from the Egyptian people.

• 238 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:30 AM EDT

well SCIENCE....../ maths has proved that how the pyramids were built is not possible. taking the weight amount of people amount of structures and the time it was done in.....it proves that matchmatically it was impossible. again people just ignore this FACT.

There are other countless structures out there and there is even drawings of light bulbs on hieroglyphics.....drawings of men in suits (space suits) in rocket ships........this is unavoidable imo. there is soo much evidence. especially the dna part. we were genetically produced by these first visitors. it makes soo much sense and there is countless evidence and facts. bt people deny and ignore it because of the modern mind set we are all in.

this whole no way thats impossible business......which is kinda understandable because it seems so farfetched, but its not.....i laugh at how people cannot see it!! its right infront of us written in stone and in structures.......its there in our dna to see. but due to its scary and mysterious and "impossible" image......its ignored.

pity......hopefully evidence that is not deniable is found

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:33 AM EDT

WOOT! Ganymede! I posted that too. I don't know why that moon has held such thrall over me all my life. I agree that it is a promising place to search for life. But never fear, it is out there. We just have to find it.

You used to teach science? That explains a LOT. I am pretty much self taught. I devour anything at all that offers a glimpse into the workings of the universe. You should see my volumes of notes. YIKES! :P

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:35 AM EDT

As vast as the universe is, so far, you and Rune have duplicated 2 of my answers. LOL, It's a small universe after all...

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:35 AM EDT

the milky way (the galaxy not the chocolate bar.....mmmmm milky way)

Mars (it kinda looks like a burnt moon)

• 856 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:37 AM EDT

Moving the blocks aren't that hard, nor impossible mathematically.. Most likey, they used wheels - but the block itself was at the 'center' of the wheel.  A relatively small group of people can move that type of set-up; I've seen it done, but that's not as 'colorful' as aliens.

Yes, there are some stone structures that are smoothed and tooled beyond what our modern machines can do.  But never underestmate what our ancestors could do - they knew a lot more about stone work than we do today (just think about it, how many people today can stone knap?)

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:37 AM EDT

oh......ooops

I just really like horsies and wasn't totally paying attention :P we can blame it on the fact its almost 2 am XD

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:38 AM EDT

I have to agree with Alduin, there. If there had been some kind of ET visit, we would have some shred of proof. I would have to think that we would have found one rusty space ship bolt, one fingernail clipping, one of these so-called probes they place in people's heads, etc. It is impossible to not leave SOME KIND of evidence behind. I just can't see it. But anything is possible. I am not one to scoff at anything.

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:39 AM EDT

LOL Rune, poor Egyptians walk stooped over to this day and can't even get due credit.

• 966 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:40 AM EDT

Well, it should also actualy be impossible to ride a bycicle, and i do it every day. Humans must still learn somethings^^

Lol, no, we dont understand those drawings, and it just looks like things we have now, but they are something else completely, things that we simply dont use and forgot about.

Read up on the DNA thing, we already figured that out in 2002^^

I'm afraid its more because some people dont fully understand it, because of lack of education, intrest or simply intelligence.

Turning to aliens like you do to explain what you do not know seems more like religion, where they explain everything through gods.

• 856 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:41 AM EDT

John Carter lives there....and tall green men with four arms...

It's all written in books, but most people refuse to believe.

• 952 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:42 AM EDT

True, those people that sneak to the piramids during night and break in during the night to connect to the aliens while in the process damaging the piramids should be thrown in jail.

• 952 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:44 AM EDT

People just misinterpret these drawings wrong all the time, they think they see something they recongnize and then they refuse to believe it is something else that just vaguely looks like it.

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:45 AM EDT

John Carter would approve. :P I always hoped I could be a Martian one day. I'd live on some colony on the red planet. Also instantly lose a bunch of weight. :P

• 856 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:46 AM EDT

Aye, and Egyptian 'teams' placed graffiti inside with claims like "our team is the best and we built this"... not "Ra and Isis came in big sun chariot and 'poofed' this here".

• 773 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:46 AM EDT

When Charlie thinks of Milky Way

When Charlie thinks of Mars

'No....NOT the chocolate bar'. I mean the Galaxy'. Oh, OK, then

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:47 AM EDT

bwhahahahaha grr now i'm hungry