Forums » General Gaming

Saints Row The Third? Any thoughts?

• 773 posts
    June 11, 2012 9:00 AM EDT

As I was saying on the Dragons Dogma thread I feel a bit burned out on Fantasy RPG at the minute and fancy trying something a bit different

When I was in my local game exchange store last week I saw they had reasonably priced copies of 'Saints Row The Third'.

This was a game I ignored when it first came out, because it was so close to Skyrim's release and I just wasn't bothered about any other game. But I was looking at some You Tube reviews and stuff, and it seems like fun - a whole lot of mindless and over-the-top violence in an 'open world' city, with loads of crazy stuff to do and experience.

Anyone had any experience of this one? What did you think of it?

• 15 posts
    June 11, 2012 9:16 AM EDT

It's really fun, not exploding with content, but the fun factor makes it fun to play whenever, the gameplay is good, and the vehicles are fun to use, so are the guns! Story wise it isn't very compelling though. :}

• 8 posts
    June 11, 2012 1:53 PM EDT

Agree with Kyle, story is not great. Otherwise it's a great buy. You need to play through probably 2hours of story to really unlock the world to you. Once you do, it's a ton of fun. There are so many mini challenges, that I ignored the main quest almost completely. Like Skyrim, by the time I got around to doing main quest missions, I was awesome! Really allows for some creative moments on your own. 

A good example, when I unlocked the really big downtown crib. I spent hours of my life trying to bail off the roof of a 100+ story building and smash a car with my corpse. 

The missions are challenging, but not unforgiving. There is even a meta-game called Mr.Genki where you compete in deathmatch style levels gameshow style. You move through a maze and shoot men in giant hotdog costumes and various other ridiculous outfits. 

Most vehicles are fully customize-able and really fun to mess with. I made an awesome evil kenevil looking motorcycle with red/white/blue color scheme that had nitro and was basically indestructible. The helicopters and airplanes are awesome too. There is a late game hover jet that shoots a freaking laser. 

The guns can be upgraded and some of them are pretty cool. My favorite is a device used to remotely operate any vehicle in the game that you can shoot within line of sight. It made for great moments when playing with a buddy. With him driving I would shoot a car behind us with the remote device and take control of it and drive along side us. When we encountered heavy resistance, I would turn the car sideways on the road and detonate it allowing us to escape.

Paul, you should at least give it a try. It's a great break from Skyrim, but it won't suck as much of your time. It's really good for a little bit here and there. I played through it at the same time as Skyrim, even though Skyrim was dominating my life at that time. My usually routine would be to play for an hour with a friend and then finish the night with Sryrim.

Hope you have fun! Let me know if you try it out and what you think.

Nick