Fallout Hub » Discussions


Fallout Roleplay Help Desk

  • January 15

    MaddMannatee said:

    Just joined this group and am in need of help. I need to get a better undertsanding of Goodneighbor and its ideals. If there's any info that can be provided or a thread with info that I could be pointed to then that would be great. Thanks!

    There are no threads about Goodneighbor on this site, but the best way I can probably sum it up is this: Goodneighbor is a haven or asylum for (mostly) ghouls who otherwise would've been killed or oppressed in the wasteland. The founders of the city came from Diamond City, where they had been thrown out by the Mayor. So if you look at their history, their ideals could be described as "leave us alone and we'll do the same". I wouldn't say they were isolationist, because they let you in pretty easily, but given the opening 'cutscene' when you enter, you could also describe them as pretty laissez-faire in general. 

    That paragraph is pretty general, so I guess I'll give a bit more details about other aspects about them. Looking at the opening cutscene again, as well as the scene of Hancock giving the Institute speech, it's easy to tell that Hancock pretty much has the city under his boot. I don't know if political terms can be applied to so small a place, but if we assume that out of game it is much larger (at least a few blocks), then we could describe the governance as 'anarchist dictatorship'--whatever goes, goes, but only if Hancock approves. 

    Going back to (mostly) ghouls in my first paragraph, the fact that the memory den is there makes it a pretty important place for freed synths. Despite its underuse, you can kinda imagine it being a spot of pilgrimage for synths, as well as one of very few places that they wouldn't be as abused as they were in the outside world. 

    Damn...now I want to write an article on Goodneighbor. 

    EDIT: Welcome to the group as well!

  • Member
    January 15

    Thank you a ton Probs! very helpful, especially the part about synths and how Hancock's leadership works. Much gratefullness, both for the info and the welcome! I'll make sure to mention that i got help from you for the build I'm working on. And I fully support the idea of a Goodneighbor article ;)

  • January 15

    MaddMannatee said:

    Thank you a ton Probs! very helpful, especially the part about synths and how Hancock's leadership works. Much gratefullness, both for the info and the welcome! I'll make sure to mention that i got help from you for the build I'm working on. And I fully support the idea of a Goodneighbor article ;)

    Happy to help :) it is my job after all :P

    And it's always cool to hear of a build in the works! I'll try to check it out if/when you post it. Thanks for the support, but that is currently in the back of a long list of articles I still need to write.

  • Member
    October 15

    So I recently started playing New Vegas again, but I want to create a character that differs from the normal ones I have made in the past that have either sided with Yes Man or the NCR and have been mostly good. My idea is he/she is a former NCR citizen who decided to work for the legion because of some horrific event that happened in the past that turned him/her against the NCR, but I can't think of a solid backstory that would justify the character switching sides like that, especially in favor of the legion. I'm one of those people that needs a backstory for all of my characters in RPG games. Any ideas on this? 

  • Member
    October 15

    Durzo said:

    So I recently started playing New Vegas again, but I want to create a character that differs from the normal ones I have made in the past that have either sided with Yes Man or the NCR and have been mostly good. My idea is he/she is a former NCR citizen who decided to work for the legion because of some horrific event that happened in the past that turned him/her against the NCR, but I can't think of a solid backstory that would justify the character switching sides like that, especially in favor of the legion. I'm one of those people that needs a backstory for all of my characters in RPG games. Any ideas on this? 

    I would recommend taking a look at this. Your character could see that NCR will soon fall or fail due to over-expansion, citizen installability and that they can actually do more harm than good. I think the video I provide the link could really help as it goes into pretty good detail about Hegelian Historian. Also, I would suggest helping the Followers as well since they share the same ideas as you.

  • Member
    October 15

    The Postman said:

    Durzo said:

    So I recently started playing New Vegas again, but I want to create a character that differs from the normal ones I have made in the past that have either sided with Yes Man or the NCR and have been mostly good. My idea is he/she is a former NCR citizen who decided to work for the legion because of some horrific event that happened in the past that turned him/her against the NCR, but I can't think of a solid backstory that would justify the character switching sides like that, especially in favor of the legion. I'm one of those people that needs a backstory for all of my characters in RPG games. Any ideas on this? 

    I would recommend taking a look at this. Your character could see that NCR will soon fall or fail due to over-expansion, citizen installability and that they can actually do more harm than good. I think the video I provide the link could really help as it goes into pretty good detail about Hegelian Historian. Also, I would suggest helping the Followers as well since they share the same ideas as you.

    That was a really good video. Thank you for pointing me to that! So in a way, Caesar's ideals are the best for the Mojave, but his execution is very extreme. The more I think about it, in a world where there is no set civilization, extremes are necessary. Maybe not enslaving and the sexism, but the brutality of the legion, and the way they get things done is really what's needed, but again, they're a double edged sword in my opinion

  • Member
    October 15

    Durzo said:

    The Postman said:

    Durzo said:

    So I recently started playing New Vegas again, but I want to create a character that differs from the normal ones I have made in the past that have either sided with Yes Man or the NCR and have been mostly good. My idea is he/she is a former NCR citizen who decided to work for the legion because of some horrific event that happened in the past that turned him/her against the NCR, but I can't think of a solid backstory that would justify the character switching sides like that, especially in favor of the legion. I'm one of those people that needs a backstory for all of my characters in RPG games. Any ideas on this? 

    I would recommend taking a look at this. Your character could see that NCR will soon fall or fail due to over-expansion, citizen installability and that they can actually do more harm than good. I think the video I provide the link could really help as it goes into pretty good detail about Hegelian Historian. Also, I would suggest helping the Followers as well since they share the same ideas as you.

    That was a really good video. Thank you for pointing me to that! So in a way, Caesar's ideals are the best for the Mojave, but his execution is very extreme. The more I think about it, in a world where there is no set civilization, extremes are necessary. Maybe not enslaving and the sexism, but the brutality of the legion, and the way they get things done is really what's needed, but again, they're a double edged sword in my opinion

    You're welcome, and in a way, yes. It may be because I had a friend who loved the Romans and the Legion that he broke down every single thing they did and how it was justified though he had the sexism part and he explained the enslavement was based on the idea of "the weak support the strong so they can have protection and food." Right, morally now what he does is brutality, but in a world where civilization doesn't exist and man has restored back to its primal state, there is no right or wrong in a sense, but also remember that every time there is no law or morality they will create a social contract and begin to build from their. Also, think about they are survivalist they can live off the land by hunting and gathering something the NCR doesn't teach. I do agree they are a double-edged sword, but really the NCR is no better.