Elder Scrolls Lore » Discussions


Monthly Lore discussion: The Essence of Water

Tags: #Magic  #Water  #Metaphysics  #Monthly Lore Discussion  #Open Debates for the win! 
  • July 7

    When it comes to sea gods what about Stuhn? He is the whale after all.

  • Member
    July 7

    KaiserSoSay said:

    You guys know about that theory of Yokuda being the past, Tamriel the present and Akavir the future? 

    MK said something about traveling from west to east means more than taking time to sail, it means sailing across time.

    Since we're associating water with memories, and memories are often associated with time, could this actually add more to the theory that Tamriel is the center of time?

    I don't know maybe I'm just rambling here, but I couldn't help but think about that theory the more I relate Tamriel's waters with memories.

    Dammit Kaiser, way to complicate things :D But absolutely as far as I'm concerned. It's like, and I remember a discussion about this time last year in which things got weird real quick and the nature of Amaranth and Godhead was discussed which I think we spoke about Redguards on space ships. I digress but it'd be helpful to lay paws on it now. I think it's a brainstorming thread.

    Yokuda, Aldmeris, Akavir, and Atmora are like mythic origin places. They are almost nebulous, places lost in the same way we sometimes deal with Atlantis. For the elves, Aldmeris may be a physical place, but it seems more likely it is a mythic enviroment representing a time of spirit.

    The dream, reality, are pieces of memory flitting through the mind of the dreamer, so it's this case of Aldmeris was once a real place but when the new cycle started it's just a fragment of memory from which mer say they're from in some sort of deja vu.

    So to extrapolate, these mythic places were once real, and those who came from there may have travelled cross-Kalpa. And then we really do have space voayge scenarios - which means spacetime.

    Space and time are linked. When you drop a massive object onto the fabric of spacetime, time itself is affected. Distance in maths = speed*time. We can look at the theory of relativity and discover that the faster you move in relation to another, time is experienced differently, right?

    With the Starry Heart, Tamriel, we have the knowledge that it's Lorkhan's divine spark - The Spirit of Nirn. He is the centre.

    We also know he is the Space God - the one on the end of the Aubilical cord attached to his twin, Time, Akatosh.

    So, the farther we go from the centre, the mass, the more time changes.

  • Member
    July 10

    Another odd thing I discovered in ESO was the mourning stone in Kenarthi's Roost. It's a magical artifact that essentially looks like a transparent orb that makes water appear around it.

    It was originally used in a local temple to seal away a magical entity capable of taking over the minds of those within its sphere of influence, it appeared to me that the mourning stone restricts this influence to essentially the space within the seal.

    I don't know guys, what do you all think of this weird artifact? There might be a whole lot more magical to water than we think.

  • Member
    July 10

    Teineeva said:

    Another odd thing I discovered in ESO was the mourning stone in Kenarthi's Roost. It's a magical artifact that essentially looks like a transparent orb that makes water appear around it.

    It was originally used in a local temple to seal away a magical entity capable of taking over the minds of those within its sphere of influence, it appeared to me that the mourning stone restricts this influence to essentially the space within the seal.

    I don't know guys, what do you all think of this weird artifact? There might be a whole lot more magical to water than we think.

    Is that some sort of symbolism, like water acting as a barrier? I'm thinking along the lines of water representing the underworld? Not to mention the name, "mourning stone." To mourn one who has gone has both memory and death connotations. It's quite a fetishistic form of magic in that sense.

  • Member
    July 10

    Paws said:

    Teineeva said:

    Another odd thing I discovered in ESO was the mourning stone in Kenarthi's Roost. It's a magical artifact that essentially looks like a transparent orb that makes water appear around it.

    It was originally used in a local temple to seal away a magical entity capable of taking over the minds of those within its sphere of influence, it appeared to me that the mourning stone restricts this influence to essentially the space within the seal.

    I don't know guys, what do you all think of this weird artifact? There might be a whole lot more magical to water than we think.

    Is that some sort of symbolism, like water acting as a barrier? I'm thinking along the lines of water representing the underworld? Not to mention the name, "mourning stone." To mourn one who has gone has both memory and death connotations. It's quite a fetishistic form of magic in that sense.

    Actually, a second thing the artifact seemed to do was to appease all the spirits of at the very least all those who were entombed in the temple, to begin with (the lack of the puppeteer's influence certainly helped there) however, some of the spirits we meet outside after seem a bit out of place in a Khajit temple. I don't remember exactly but I believe there was a group of either Orc or Nord spirits that were clearly meant to be some form of raiding party. This on its own isn't strange for these races but to find them buried in a khajit tomb would be extremely odd. The only reason in recent history for either races to be present on the island is for the interregnum wars but the temple seems far older than that and doesn't seem like the kind of place to bury your enemies so perhaps this could be another form of the visions Kaiser mentioned earlier?

  • Member
    July 10
    Oh crap I remember that quest now. Nords near the fountain talking about Sovngarde, and a Priest of Arkay realising what's happening. I wish I could remember more - were these spirits acting as the barrier, or were they trapped victims of the dude's magic?
  • Member
    July 10

    Paws said: Oh crap I remember that quest now. Nords near the fountain talking about Sovngarde, and a Priest of Arkay realizing what's happening. I wish I could remember more - were these spirits acting as the barrier, or were they trapped victims of the dude's magic?

    Oh, yes. I remember now; an orc raiding party, a group of Nord warriors discussing valor and Sovngarde, a priest of Arkay trying to wrap his head around what is happening (thinking you're the dead one which really isn't that weird of a thought when talking to the Vestige) and some more weird spirits.

    What if they came directly from the Mourning stone?

    It actually reminds me of something I wanted to mention with the Argonians. In their case, it seems like the flow of memories is almost constant. The Hist absorb the memories of the dead Argonians and use these to fashion the identities and consciousness of hatchlings; I'm assuming the cycle repeats itself over time and overall the memory pool doesn't increase in size by a whole lot.

    What about when humans and merkind die? Their memories seem to just end up in the water, but does it mean there has to be a wellspring, like the mourning stone, to allow for the amount of storage to increase? In that case are there other mourning stones? Because if there aren't I'm starting to think Kenarthi's Roost' prisoner may be way more powerful than one might expect.

    This weird little artifact just brings up so many questions XD