Forums » Elder Scrolls

Bugs are killing me!!

• 3 posts
    May 8, 2012 2:39 PM EDT

I know I'm not as leveled as some here, but since December, I've clocked in just over 250 hours of PC game time. I've hit a few bugs along the way but worked around them using the setstage codes when I needed to. (Up till now, the only major quest that I haven't been able to complete is "Diplomatic Immunity.") I've decided maybe it's time to wrap up the game and restart with a new char. So I decided to finally do the "Reunification of Skyrim" campaign. But now I'm stuck in the middle of the Reunification quest, and it won't go forward. I am on the Imperial side, and followed orders to go to The Rift and talk to Rikke. I have gone to the camp, and spoken with her, but the dialogue won't advance to where she gives me the next quest. I have tried for hours to get through this step, and have followed every trick and work around posted on the wiki. All of the things I've read about the bugs in this quest say that once you've tried the obvious, the only thing left to do is force the entire quest to completion. So... I pretty much just kill Ulfric and reunite Skyrim with the use of a code. That sucks.

I don't know why this game is so buggy for me. I'm not running a ton of mods (I think I have only four) and the computer is rarely used and less than a year old. But given that the Ulfric storyline is so key to the whole game, if I have to use a setstage code to advance it, I'll be pretty disappointed.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this, I'm all ears... and stuck between The Rift and Compelling Tribute.

• May 8, 2012 2:53 PM EDT

Well, there is definately evidence (I have experience myself) that certain computers (parts) occasionally have 'incompatabilities' with certain games etc.

For instance, Total War: Shogun 2 - Total War is known to have lots of bugs/crashes but I have this thing where it seems to crash at the loading screen every 2 battles. Though the guy I was playing with does not have this problem. It seems to have gotten better but I still Quicksave and sometimes end up losing progress of a very well played battle. Like when I fought against a humongous army and miraculously beat them but it crashed XD

Yet I hardly get ANY bugs in Skyrim. I've had a pretty much bug-free playthrough.

So, my theory is that Xboxs and PS3s are the same, so they have similiar bugs and sadly there are a good amount it seems.

As for PC, I'd say it's your hardware/software, sorry Dogstar

PS. Go find the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and get it. It might fix some of your bugs by now.

• 3 posts
    May 9, 2012 2:07 PM EDT

I'll look for the patch, thanks. Hopefully it'll help.

• 952 posts
    May 9, 2012 2:45 PM EDT

I looked it up and even UESP doesn't know a fix for that bug except for finishing the whole imperial questling with console.

• 271 posts
    May 10, 2012 4:59 PM EDT
    Yeah, i hate bugs to, flies are the worst! Lol :-P