Forums » The Lounge

The All Time Greatest Paid Games on Steam

• 278 posts
    October 30, 2017 7:22 AM EDT

Ok, so I've been saving my money for quite a while, been doing some jobs, thinking of getting  a job, actually - nah, I'm too lazy. Anyway, I've got like $150 'straya dollars (spent the rest of what I'd earnt on headphones) and I'm wondering. What are the greatest games on steam?

Criteria; 

1. Quality; A game must be overall well-made, with both an inspiring and moving story, gripping gameplay, unique mechanics and interesting characters. It should stand out from other similar titles (eg. Witcher 3 and Skyrim in the WRPG genre)

2. Price to Quantity; My general consensus is simple; a dollar is an hour. For example, Skyrim Special Edition I got for 30 bucks and I'm already like 100 hours in on various characters (my most recent being Anubi) and that's excluding my time on the XB360 legendary edition. Another good example is Overwatch; $60 dollars and 90 hours. A bad example would be something like Superhot VR - an amazing game that drove me over the edge with how fun it was, but it ended in 2 hours for $60. It, simply said, wasn't worth it. Buy Superhot instead. A game should keep you going for hours - whether through mods, content, multiplayer (a surefire life-extender) or simply replayability.

3. Community; This one isn't really important, but it's nice not to have the CS:GO community every once in a while.

4. That Secret Sauce; That something special that makes the game good - for Skyrim, it would be the endless immersiveness (with a few mods) as well as the livable and realistic world built and drenched in lore so thick you could grow gills and swim through it. For Titanfall, it's the interesting mix of fast paced parkour and slow, sluggish (in a good way) mech fighting. For PUBG, it's the immense satisfaction and pulse pounding emotion it brings to the table. 

With all said and done, what do you think are the greatest paid games on Steam? 

*may turn this into series with greatest free games next?*

• 966 posts
    December 19, 2017 11:33 PM EST

Europa Universalis 4. Unique, a true and amazing Grand Strategy game. After 1550 hours in the game I don't know if I can really give any other answer.

• 1441 posts
    December 19, 2017 11:40 PM EST

Alduin said:

Europa Universalis 4. Unique, a true and amazing Grand Strategy game. After 1550 hours in the game I don't know if I can really give any other answer.

Have you played Crusader Kings?

• 966 posts
    December 19, 2017 11:41 PM EST

May or may not have a solid 567 hours in Crusader Kings 2. Personally my preference would go to EU4 but I love both.

• 1441 posts
    December 20, 2017 12:10 AM EST

Alduin said:

May or may not have a solid 567 hours in Crusader Kings 2. Personally my preference would go to EU4 but I love both.

I remember when a friend introduced CK2 to me, ah, dying of a heart attack during sex at 64

• 966 posts
    December 20, 2017 12:14 AM EST
    Nothing beats committing incest and murder at age 90 and being declared a saint by the church.
    • 1441 posts
    December 20, 2017 12:20 AM EST

Alduin said: Nothing beats committing incest and murder at age 90 and being declared a saint by the church.
    Good times. Theres also some of the older SW games, and Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines