Forums » The Lounge

Your Top 10 Favorite Dystopian Movies.

• October 7, 2017 6:35 PM EDT

So with Blade Runner 2049 getting great reviews and kind of bringing back the dystopian style movie back into the mainstream. I began to wonder what are you guys favorite films of this genre.

1) Metropolis and Brazil (I can't pick between the two)

2) I Am Legend (2007)

3) Escape from New York

4) Logan's Run

5) Soylent Green

6) 12 Monkeys (1995)

7) Equalirbilim

8) Dark City

9) The Matrix (just the first one)

10) V for Vendetta

Honorable Mentions: Blade Runner, The Postman, Gattaca, A Clockwork Orange, Mad Max Trilogy, The Running Man, RoboCop (not the crappy remake), A Boy and his Dog, The Omega Man, The Road, and District 9

• 248 posts
    October 7, 2017 7:03 PM EDT
    The original Blade Runner is much higher up there for me. Def love the first Matrix. The original Mad Max is pretty sick too. Let me think on this and I’ll come back with more maybe.
  • October 7, 2017 7:05 PM EDT

No problem, and it took me a while to make my list as well.

• 457 posts
    October 7, 2017 9:49 PM EDT

Stream of consciousness list in no particular order:

Akira
    Lego Movie
    Bladerunner
    Westworld
    Escape from New York
    Six String Samurai
    WALL-E
    Delicatessen (French film)
    Serenity
    Mystery Men

I'll  probably think of others later on, but I'm sticking with this xD

• 277 posts
    October 8, 2017 1:37 AM EDT
    I might just commit heresy by saying this but, I love the whole Matrix trilogy. Even as a kid, I would often come home from school on a Friday evening, load up my VHS copy of Revolutions and re-watch it in excitement. Later as an adult and fan of science fiction, I came to appreciate Reloaded and Revolutions even more. These two movies greatly expanded on the lore and explored some awesome yet scary things. Even though the first movie is my favorite, I don't get why the internet in general shows so much hate for the sequels.
    This post was edited by Noodles at October 8, 2017 1:37 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    October 8, 2017 4:16 AM EDT

Man, I really need to start watching more films. I've barely even heard of any of the films on your list, let alone watch any (I think the Matrix is it). Well at least I've now got loads of suggestions for films to watch!

• October 8, 2017 5:38 AM EDT

@Shinjin there is not a bad movie on there especially Akrika. Though the Lego movie caught me off guard.

@Noodles I never understood it either. I like the other two Matrix films, but to me, I think the first one was the best one of the three or four depending if you count the Animatrix.

@Zonnonn I grew up watching movies all the time because I had no cable/satellite until I was fifteen. I am also a huge fan of Cinema and have a huge collection of movies on VHSes, DVDs, and Blu-Rays so there really isn't a movie I don't know. If you want more suggestions, I will gladly tell you some more to look into.

• 457 posts
    October 8, 2017 11:48 AM EDT

The Postman said:

@Shinjin there is not a bad movie on there especially Akrika. Though the Lego movie caught me off guard.

I know, right? A happy/funny movie, but the dystopian elements are all there lurking in the background. xD

• October 8, 2017 1:00 PM EDT

ShinJin said:

The Postman said:

I know, right? A happy/funny movie, but the dystopian elements are all there lurking in the background. xD

I may have to watch it now.