Forums » Elder Scrolls

At this point, is ES6 going to happen?

• 558 posts
    October 6, 2017 9:31 PM EDT

It doesn't feel like it. They keep milking Skyrim even though they are due for another ES game. You could say they are stalling. I would imagine if Bethesda came out and said there is not going to be an ES6, there would be a pretty decent backlash.

According to them it isn't even in development. That means we won't be seeing it for the next four years, at least, if it ever gets made. That's 10 years without a new non-spinoff ES game.

They might eventually start to develop it, or they might not. They might get too amibtious and have to throw away their progress. 

Is Elder Scrolls 6 the new Half-Life 3?

I guess they could just be tricking us for a surprise announcement like Fallout 4.

• 77 posts
    October 7, 2017 2:06 AM EDT

I still think it's coming, 2 years since Fallout 4, which used same game engine as the original Skyrim, only transferring it to PS4/XB One.

Todd Howard apparently wants technology that is not available yet, so they need to build a new game engine on technology they haven't got yet, tricky. They probably have some ideas kicking around, reading Reddit, the Vault and other fan sites to get a feel for what people want to see next, but they'll still make a game that they love too.

Add onto this, 2 new IP's so the developer's don't get bored just doing Elder Scrolls or Fallout. 

The new Skyrim releases don't really bother me too much, that's just business, and opening the franchise up to more people so when the do the next game, there's more prospective buy in ;-) Games aren't cheap, budgets like movies these days...

This post was edited by Meli at October 7, 2017 3:00 AM EDT
    • 167 posts
    October 7, 2017 3:39 AM EDT

At the moment the gaming industry is going through some changes mostly due to the VR and all the new technologies that are in the making or already made tested and developed further and will be out in time. My guess is that they are waiting for this before they start. It will take a few years before an ES6 and my guess is 7 years at least maybe more like close to 10 years or so but that depends on how fast the new technology will be out, when they will be able get it or develop it, the testing, the market and all that stuff.

Of course this is just my speculation from what I 've seen thus far in the general gaming not only with Elder Scrolls.

This post was edited by Duvain at October 7, 2017 3:52 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    October 7, 2017 12:23 PM EDT

Eh, I'm not convinced either way. Yeah, it makes sense that they'd end on a high, and the fact that Beth is draining Skyrim as much as possible attests to that. But at the same time they can't just leave it there. I'm with Meli, they want stuff that just isn't here yet. When we see the next new technology we might start seeing some new stuff.

• 140 posts
    October 7, 2017 12:50 PM EDT

Much as I'd like to see a new Elder Scrolls game, my inner sceptic get's more and more convinced that ES: VI is either never going to happen, or be so far away that most Skyrim fans will be long gone by the time it comes out. And if the latter's the case, I'd also be worried that there wouldn't be enough hype for Bethesda to want to make VII (If such a thing will even happen in our lifetimes, anyway)

And I don't really buy into that "the technology isn't here" thing. Couldn't ES: VI be made with the ridiculously horrible tech we have now, and ES: VII be made with this stuff that "isn't here yet"?

Who knows, maybe they want to make another Fallout first, so both series would have five main titles. That gives us a release date of about 2020/1, right?

• 167 posts
    October 7, 2017 1:24 PM EDT

What I 'm thinking is that Bethesda after the success Skyrim had decided to go ahead with other projects and enter a market they were never into before which is the online gaming. That is why after the success Skyrim had and how many people "followed" Elder Scrolls, new and older fans, we saw games like ESO and the Elder Scrolls Legends coming out which is a whole new territory for Bethesda also don't forget FO. It is all about timing and planning. For a few years they will sit back and sustain on these titles before they go to something new that is a new Elder Scrolls series which is their big gun that will get the people back all over Elder Scrolls like Skyrim did and will allow them to reap again beneffits from it for a few years which is logical I think. That is just my thought though ^_^

Regarding technology well, that new technology will be coming in the game industry in the next few years is pretty much a sure thing with the way things progressing thus far (it reminds me the evolution of cellphones lol). If Bethesda is really waiting for such a technology to get out in the market to make an ES VI game we don't know for sure.

It could be both the reasons I mentioned above but still we can only make speculations and hope. :P   

This post was edited by Duvain at October 7, 2017 1:29 PM EDT
    • 20 posts
    October 9, 2017 12:44 AM EDT

I really hope that an Elder Scrolls VI is coming sometime. Skyrim was too wickedly successful for them not to make more it feels like and the popularity of the series keeps growing. It seems like overall everything just points towards another TES title being immensely in their favor as a business.

On top of that, I think Skyrim would be a horrible place story wise to end the series, it just has so many loose ends. What happens with the civil war? What about the failing empire? The assassination of the emperor? What's the dominion doing? Morrowind and Oblivion both feel like they wrap up more, especially Oblivion in my opinion, with the whole world being saved from daedric destruction and the line of emporers in every TES game before it being wiped out. If they were going to end the series, I would expect closure like that, not like what Skyrim offers.

So I'm putting my two cents over on TES VI is coming, but the earliest I'd expect it, being very optimistic, is 2021. Just have to play everything else while we wait.

This post was edited by bolionce at October 9, 2017 12:44 AM EDT
    • 743 posts
    October 10, 2017 12:46 PM EDT

Perhaps I'm just a cynic, but I believe the whole "waiting on better technology" thing is complete bullshit. The technology IS there. Look at Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed Origins, or the Witcher 3. All three games are a technological wonder. The only reason Bethesda is using this sorry excuse is to further milk Skyrim without having to invest the money like they would have to do with an entirely new Elder Scrolls.

Eventually, I think we will get Elder Scrolls 6, as fans are already getting pissed with Bethesda for rerealsing Skyrim 50 times on every console imaginable. The hype will die soon and they'll be forced to make a new TES if they are to remain in the good graces of the RPG fanbase. 

• 140 posts
    October 10, 2017 1:19 PM EDT

Rogue said:

Perhaps I'm just a cynic, but I believe the whole "waiting on better technology" thing is complete bullshit. The technology IS there. Look at Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed Origins, or the Witcher 3. All three games are a technological wonder. The only reason Bethesda is using this sorry excuse is to further milk Skyrim without having to invest the money like they would have to do with an entirely new Elder Scrolls.

Eventually, I think we will get Elder Scrolls 6, as fans are already getting pissed with Bethesda for rerealsing Skyrim 50 times on every console imaginable. The hype will die soon and they'll be forced to make a new TES if they are to remain in the good graces of the RPG fanbase. 

I couldn't possibly agree more.

• 167 posts
    October 11, 2017 3:18 AM EDT

@Rogue - Yeah it 's all about numbers and timing like I said in my comment above. The outburst of Skyrim was very big and attracted old and new fans to be all over Elder Scrolls which gave Bethesda what they needed in order to start new projects like ESO, ES Legends etc and still be able to have proffit from Skyrim even after six years. They will wait until a bigger amount of the fanbase loses interest before they decide to make a new one because let's be honest who of those who played skyrim won't go back and try a new ES game even after a few more years. At the end of the day we 're talking about a company, money, investments etc so I think it is logical on their part to wait and try to make some more profit.

This post was edited by Duvain at October 11, 2017 3:19 AM EDT
    • 71 posts
    October 11, 2017 6:11 PM EDT

I'm always skeptical in regard to what Bethesda says about their release cycles; they avidly denied the existence of FO4 up until like 6 months prior to its release. I'd like to think they're pulling our legs again in regard to ESVI, but I'm really not sure. I hope it comes out sooner rather than later; I'm fine with waiting for a game to ensure that it's done well, but eventually you start getting diminishing returns the longer you wait - 10 years of work means that some parts of the game will inevitably be 10 years old at launch (be they concepts or mechanics). I really don't want to see TES go down that route.   

• 558 posts
    October 11, 2017 9:08 PM EDT

Yeah, I think they could be working on it secretly just so they can milk the maximum amount of moolah from Skyrim. That is the narrative I am subscribed to.

• 29 posts
    October 26, 2017 12:13 AM EDT
    I think that they are making it right now, as we speculate. Honestly, I think setting the game in either Valenwood or Hammerfell makes the most sense, and having the Stormcloaks win the Civil War makes sense in many ways. Look at who's in the top position of power in the United States! Ulfric Stormcloak is nothing compared to Donald "The Pussy Grabber" Trump! All jokes aside, if it comes out in the next four years, I would consider that to be too soon.