Forums » Elder Scrolls

ESO - Playing an Assassin

• 190 posts
    September 24, 2017 3:29 PM EDT

Hello there, one and all! Delta here and I have some questions for you. As you might know, recently I bought Elder Scrolls Online and I'm having a blast with it. I just love it! However, I am quite new to the MMO genre. I played a bit to get my feeling on the controls and the user interface. So, know I started a new playthrough, that of a Breton assassin fighting for the Daggerfall Covenant. What tips can you give me on that playstyle in ESO? Is there a Tamriel Vault guild or group that I can join? And most importantly, how do you earn crowns? Can I get them as ingame reward or do I have to buy them in RL? Also, because Phil made me, I will also be logging down my journey in TSC. My ToC will be posted shortly. Thanks in advance.

• 1422 posts
    September 24, 2017 5:57 PM EDT
    Way to make me sound like a tyrant :D But good! Also, poor Patriarch and Tenebrous, they'd have loved this posted in their group, I'm sure :p
    Assassins. Hmm. Paul has been putting together a guide to help those new to the game, but generally speaking the Nightblade class is the go-to assassin. As you level up and unlock skills, you can choose between one of two morphs per active skill. Those morphs determine how you can approach the game.
    Crowns are given monthly if you subbed to ESO Plus, but buying them with real money is how to get them otherwise. Normally I wait until there is a sale on before stocking up, and there is a good chance there will be another sale soon as the new Crate season begins soon.
    This post was edited by Paws at September 24, 2017 5:57 PM EDT
    • 190 posts
    September 24, 2017 6:01 PM EDT

Well, it does seem like it's more fitting to be posted in the ESO group. And that's where I shall post. Sorry Sotek :P

• 689 posts
    September 25, 2017 4:45 AM EDT

Hi Delta

Glad to hear you're enjoying ESO. I've just started my 'ESO for Dummies' gameplay guide and tips, check out the ToC in the ESO group. I'm playing AD, but my character San-daro is a sneaky assassin type, a Nightblade, and most of the tips will be totally transferrable to DC.

If you get ESO you'll get free crowns every month, and you'll also get all the DLC which gives you the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLC, with their content and - perhaps even more crucially - skill lines that you'll want to invest into to enhance your assassin character. As soon as you start the Dark Brotherhood, you'll be handed the Blade of Woe, which is an awesome weapon to use for assassins - another reason to get ESO Plus. Yes, I know it costs real-world money to get ESO Plus, but you really get the benefits (the Crafting Bag is an absolute must if you plan on doing any type of crafting)

Beyond that, keep and eye on my guide (two more parts this week)and if you have any specific questions then please do ask

• 190 posts
    September 25, 2017 7:31 AM EDT

Thanks for the help Paul. I'll get ESO Plus when my next paycheck roles in. I'm also planning on getting ESO: Morrowind key to upgrade my game, those Wardens look awesome. Anyway, I got ESO Gold Edition which gave me the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Orsinium and Imperial City.

• 190 posts
    September 25, 2017 7:34 AM EDT

Also, I can't seem to spend those crowns, I want to buy a cat but it just sends me to the buy more crowns section. Do I have to be a member?

• 703 posts
    September 27, 2017 10:49 AM EDT

First off, are you mainly looking to PvE or PvP? And are you looking to be magicka or stamina based?

• 190 posts
    September 27, 2017 12:10 PM EDT

Currently, I'm just trying to experience the whole package. For now, I'm doing a non magic playthrough and later I'll go with a magic character.

• 703 posts
    September 27, 2017 12:12 PM EDT

DeltaFox said:

Currently, I'm just trying to experience the whole package. For now, I'm doing a non magic playthrough and later I'll go with a magic character.

I would recommend staying PvE for the main portion of leveling. Because you are a Breton, you will be put in a minor disadvantage against other stamblades; due to Bretons being magicka based. You are a nightblade, right?

This post was edited by Rogue at September 27, 2017 12:12 PM EDT
    • 190 posts
    September 27, 2017 1:16 PM EDT

Yes. I actually was challenged to a dual already by some guy and managed to beat him. But only because he was playing an unarmed Khajiit and I just spammed arrows at him. We're friends now, though. :P

• 703 posts
    September 27, 2017 1:49 PM EDT

DeltaFox said:

Yes. I actually was challenged to a dual already by some guy and managed to beat him. But only because he was playing an unarmed Khajiit and I just spammed arrows at him. We're friends now, though. :P

Duels are a great way to practice PvP before actually getting into it. As a stamblade, your absolute go-to skills for a dps PvE will be Steel Tornado and Endless Hail. Both of these offer significant damage at a decent resource cost. Once you hit 160 CP (or if you are already), you'll want to take a look at endgame gear. For a PvE/PvP hybrid, Hunding's Rage is a beast of a set. It's craftable, too, so it's quite accessible.

Dual Wield is also a skill line you'll probably want to get into. It's the best dps for PvE stamina builds by a considerable margin. Make sure you get all of the passives for your class and weapon skill lines. 

Here are some additional skills that are excellent for a dps stamblade. I actually run these on my current PvE setup.

Assassination

Grim Focus -> Relentless Focus

Death Stroke -> Incapacitating Strike (good for single target damage; AoE not so much)

Shadow

Veiled Strike -> Suprise Attack (Single target)

Shadow Cloak -> Shadowy Disguise (Only useful for PvP)

Siphoning

Strife -> Swallow Soul (Awesome healing buff)

Dual Wield

Whirlwind -> Steel Tornado

Blade Cloak -> Deadly Cloak (One of the best defensive/offensive buffs for a stamblade)

Bow

Volley -> Endless Hail

Poison Arrow -> Poison Injection (Single target)

Medium Armor

Shuffle

Fighter's Guild

Dawknbreaker (Insane AoE damage)

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

This post was edited by Rogue at September 27, 2017 1:51 PM EDT
    • 190 posts
    September 27, 2017 1:58 PM EDT

Thanks Rogue, I'll definetly incorporate this into my playthrough

• 703 posts
    September 27, 2017 2:00 PM EDT

DeltaFox said:

Thanks Rogue, I'll definetly incorporate this into my playthrough

No problem; it's good to have a new ESO player!