Forums » The Lounge

I need serious, legitimate help.

• 278 posts
    September 7, 2017 9:41 AM EDT

I need help. I cannot stick to a character - I physically can't. I keep ideas I like, such as the scholar part from my Minotaur scholar part - I really love the idea of being a scholar, y'know a loremaster. Another problem was I couldn't wear any clothing other than forsworn armor on the goatman race, or 'KABOOM CRASH PEW PEW!' on me :( So, bye bye minotaur dude. I legitamatelly need to learn how to stick to a character - here's an idea, please help me perfect it. 

Skills: Archery, Sneak, Light Armor, Speech, One-Handed (Typical ranger/rogue type stuff) 

Alignment: Chaotic Good, but prefers to stay out of trouble. 

Race: Lykaois, meaning I can use SSE (Yay, better graphics and 64 bit engine, not to mention Beyond Skyrim) and I'll roleplay him as lilmothiit - could be interesting, i coudl make up my own lore, you know? 

Armor: just some generic travelling gear. 

Mods: ordinator, alt.start, all Beyond Skyrims, so he can chronicle the lands of tamriel, immersive armors and weapons, Lykaois, some graphics stuff, mainly saturation based, um dunno what else. 

God, I hate myself sometimes xD

• 278 posts
    September 7, 2017 9:51 AM EDT

I won't be posting anything other than y'know, forum stuffs for a while, so that I can properly plan and create a fun and sustainable character. i'd like to thank the vault for being so supportive of people, and always being there for someone, no matter what they need. Good on you, guys. Thanks.

:D

• 773 posts
    September 7, 2017 11:00 AM EDT

This is what is technically called 'restartitis'

If you search the archives there is a (very long and very good) thread called (something like) 'Help, I've got restartitis' - which established that most of the people on this site suffer from exactly the same problem.

I'll be honest, I am one of them!

• 224 posts
    September 7, 2017 11:28 AM EDT

As a person who has suffered from the dreaded disease known as Restartits, I know your feeling. The one thing that helped me was to write down as many character ideas as I could think of and once done step away for a day or so, and come back and look at which one or ones appeal to you the most. Then slowly work from there by adding roleplay, likes, dislikes, etc.

• 700 posts
    September 7, 2017 12:50 PM EDT

I found 3 threads on restartitis if you'd like to read through em.

One

Two

Three

I know the one Paul is talking about, though I can't find it unfortunately. I find that when I'm afflicted with restartitis, it's because my roleplay isn't tight enough. I'm the kind of person who needs a character with goals and a plan in order to stick with them. As long as I feel like I'm working towards something, I stick with characters much longer. Otherwise I'm just wandering around, guessing my way through the world and I attempt to treat my inevitable boredom by trying a different playstyle. Never works. I need that character connection. Maybe you could start there?

• 295 posts
    September 7, 2017 3:29 PM EDT

I'll echo Legion in that finding a real strong roleplay angle keeps me engaged in a character. And actually the only reason I get restarteritis now is if I somehow mess up mods or I'm not happy with them - yes, I have restarted an established playthrough for a build because I've totally hated a house or his armor didn't look quite right - but not anymore due to losing interest in a character. Like, I could replay any of my builds again totally and enjoy them because I don't go through with a build until the roleplay is sooooo set that the playtest, unless mods screw it up, usually just falls into place.