Forums » Elder Scrolls

Can Non-Human Races still be viable for role-play?

• 278 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:19 PM EDT

Okay, so (first up, sorry for posting two topics - they're completely unrelated!) I was wondering. As I've said, I'm starting a story about the Telvanni, and I wanted to use a goatman mod, but felt it just too odd, so I'm going to be splicing details of that with a new story - not abandoning it, just mixing it with something else. Okay, so I'm thinking - can minotaurs learn magic, or talk to other humans? Is thta possible? Just like, theoretically, could a falmer become a merchant (a pretty shit one, tho) just like a dremora could become a merchant? I mean, is that possible, really? Are they limited to doing nothing but being agro monsters, or could say a minotaur join up with the Telvanni and that sort of thing? Thanks.

• 1441 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:26 PM EDT

Wulf said:

Okay, so (first up, sorry for posting two topics - they're completely unrelated!) I was wondering. As I've said, I'm starting a story about the Telvanni, and I wanted to use a goatman mod, but felt it just too odd, so I'm going to be splicing details of that with a new story - not abandoning it, just mixing it with something else. Okay, so I'm thinking - can minotaurs learn magic, or talk to other humans? Is thta possible? Just like, theoretically, could a falmer become a merchant (a pretty shit one, tho) just like a dremora could become a merchant? I mean, is that possible, really? Are they limited to doing nothing but being agro monsters, or could say a minotaur join up with the Telvanni and that sort of thing? Thanks.

There are Mudcrab and Scamp merchant.... 

• 278 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:27 PM EDT

But theoretically, could a minotaur learn magic and join the telvanni

• 1595 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:40 PM EDT

Wulf said:

But theoretically, could a minotaur learn magic and join the telvanni

The minotaur, Domihaus the Bloody Horned introduced in ESO's Horns of the Reach dlc can talk and use magic. There are minotaur shamans too - pretty much anything that can reason can use magic, but talking was beyond minotaurs before Horns of the Reach, iirc. Dom's speech could be because Domihaus' "line is unbroken" according to him, which probably means he traces direct descendency from Mor and Alessia.

The Telvanni are extremely xenophobic, but they are also meritocrats. The Telvanni series of quests in ESO's Morrowind Chapter introduce us to Sun-in-Shadow, an Argonian slave who's ambition sees her rise up through the ranks of that house, albeit faced by plenty of opposition. Telvanni value ambition and power, and those who can use guile and treachery to gain power are respected, or can earn respect.

It is not beyond the bounds of reason that a minotaur, like Dommy, could be captured and used as a slave and then rise like Sun-in-Shadow. It's unlikely, but not entirely impossible :)

• 278 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:43 PM EDT

Okay, well then - my story's gonna be adjusted to fit that. I'll list it on the Campfire, explain what I'll be changing. But Domihaus is one of ESO's best villians in my opinion.

• 1595 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:49 PM EDT

How about instead of blogs you consider modder's logs? You can still tell a story, but the pressure is off in terms of writing chapters. You can play a bit, log the journey as a story and note mod changes on the go - put your entire creative process in one place so that if you do change anything, you can just log the change and continue all in one super Wulf thread...?

Dom's the bull's horns! His moo of death is just insane :D

• 278 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:52 PM EDT

Hey, modder's logs, maybe? Sounds pretty cool actually - I'll be honest, I haven't enjoyed anything on this blog more than Tein's Telvanni Bug Musk & Other Frivolties. It's so good :)

• 278 posts
    September 5, 2017 8:53 PM EDT

But for the minute, I'll work on blogs - but you might see a modder's log start up soon, somewhere near the 17th ;)

• 585 posts
    September 6, 2017 8:28 AM EDT

This lore article by the legendary Kyrielle ought to get the gears going. The gist of it is that all beings on Nirn were born with some level of magic inherent in them, but some have evolved out of it depending on their need at the time. So yeah, I reckon Minotaurs can talk and use magic, as they're one of the more satient of creatures out there.