Forums » Elder Scrolls

POLL: Favourite Elder Scrolls playable race

• 127 posts
    September 7, 2017 1:09 PM EDT

Legion said:

That's really cool, Josh (can I call you Josh?). I've heard many stories similar to yours and I love hearing more. This is a game that we all hold dear in some way; a game often rooted in our identities, even if in a small way. You favor Bretons for how Skyrim helped you in a time of need; I favor Dunmer for very similar reasons. As much fun as it can be to pick a side and stand stalwart in allegiance, it's always important to take a step back and really understand what it is that drives us to the sides we pick. There's a lot of love that deep. Sharing these kinds of things is never easy, but there's strength in being able to say what you stand for and why, and open yourself up to a community of folks who have the same deep connections we do. Anyway, I'm sure I've talked enough about this. I hope more come around to sharing as you have. 

I agree.  I think it's important to note that fantasy, in the right conditions, is just as 'real' as reality, and the events that happen within them can be just as impactful as those without.  It's easy to ignore these aspects of video games if we don't think of them as an art form, which I think doesn't give the creators of such artistry enough credit.  There's a tranquility and some sense of belonging for someone to find in each of the races, and that matters more to me than any gameplay aspect that is offered, though admittedly that becomes a factor further down the line.  I'm extremely grateful to this game, and even this community, for helping me become comfortable enough to talk about it in this way.

And yes, you can call me Josh.  :)

• 224 posts
    September 7, 2017 1:24 PM EDT

Legion said:

I honestly didn't know that about the Altmer, but knowing it now makes me see them in a much more positive light. That's really cool though, thanks for sharing. It's so easy to forget sometimes that the races (or species) aren't a homogenous group of broiling evil. They have so many things worth praising! Yes, even the Argonians. I will be the first to admit it, as much as I like to rag on them. And while the Thalmor may have smeared the name of the Altmer, the people that make up the race are worth getting to know. 

Yeah at first I didn't either until I started to read about them in more depth. No problem and I figured you shared your view in depth I would do the same. Right, you can't say the loudest voices speak for the majority because each individual is different. I get you every race has something worth praising or something that you can relate easily. Exactly, just because the Thalmor are evil doesn't mean every Altmer supports them, I mean even Queen Aryenn's Dominion in ESO, which really wasn't that bad, had people who opposed her and one of them was her own sister-in-law, I believe. 

• 167 posts
    September 7, 2017 1:39 PM EDT

@Legion - Legion I strongly recommend to go at the Lore section in the Archives Here and chect out the posts regarding the Altmer. Their story is quite interesting. In these posts it is also explained why the Thalmor (which is the most part of the reason people think Altmer are lame :P) came into power and why the Altmer weren't able to resist their advance in power after the Oblivion crisis.

Also I 'm very interested in what you said regarding the Budhist elements and the Dunmer, something new to look into.

• 295 posts
    September 7, 2017 2:20 PM EDT

Duvain said:

@Legion - Legion I strongly recommend to go at the Lore section in the Archives Here and chect out the posts regarding the Altmer. Their story is quite interesting. In these posts it is also explained why the Thalmor (which is the most part of the reason people think Altmer are lame :P) came into power and why the Altmer weren't able to resist their advance in power after the Oblivion crisis.

Also I 'm very interested in what you said regarding the Budhist elements and the Dunmer, something new to look into.

The Altmer are in a huge state of flux after the Oblivion Crisis, which made the climate ripe for the Thalmor to step in. I mean, like imagine if every piece of art, manuscript, artifact, everything you cherished as a culture, AND the tombs of your most beloved leaders suddently disappears with the collapse of a tower and you have to live with that. Just read Rising Threat. You could argue Lathenil of Sunhold's mental state when he wrote it, but damn, for a people who pride themselves on culture to LOSE the representation of their culture like that. Really puts things into perspective and that is why I voted for the Altmer. For me, they are extremely compelling to play, from both a Thalmor standpoint and from a non Thalmor standpoint. I mean my Dragonborn is an Altmer in my fanfiction, because I felt that no other race captured that dichotomy better than an Altmer. The psychological ramifications of what they are as Dragonborn, what they are to their own people, is something that is beyond what any of the other races can really give to the table, at least IMO. An Altmer Dragonborn would potentially be practically like an Anti-Christ to their people. The Devil. The Doom Drum. 

• 13 posts
    September 7, 2017 4:10 PM EDT

@Lissette I was about to say, hey, that sounds like Straag Rod! You should read it! ...then I saw your name. Maybe I should get my reading skills checked out :P

@Legion: Wow. Finished reading it, and while it took me a bit to understand the whole Love and Will things, I eventually got it (I think), and that's... a lot deeper than anything I've ever seen before, to be honest. I think I'll look into this further.

• 224 posts
    September 7, 2017 6:02 PM EDT

Felkros said:

@Lissette I was about to say, hey, that sounds like Straag Rod! You should read it! ...then I saw your name. Maybe I should get my reading skills checked out :P

@Legion: Wow. Finished reading it, and while it took me a bit to understand the whole Love and Will things, I eventually got it (I think), and that's... a lot deeper than anything I've ever seen before, to be honest. I think I'll look into this further.

If you want to dwell more into Vivec and the whole Love and Will thing look up the works of Alister Crowley.

• 13 posts
    September 7, 2017 7:27 PM EDT

Will do! Thanks, David.

• 224 posts
    September 7, 2017 7:29 PM EDT

Felkros said:

Will do! Thanks, David.

No problem.

• 700 posts
    September 7, 2017 7:38 PM EDT

Duvain said:

Thanks, Duvain, I'll check em out. I wish there was a single text I could point you to that would spell everything out, but there's just so many. If you can get your hands on it (though I'm sure it's online), The Bodhicaryavatara by Santideva has two excellent introductions that explain it all pretty well. Just look for the Oxford World's Classics edition. The actual text of the Bodhicaryavatara should look very familiar if you've read the 36 Sermons. It's structured exactly the same. 

Joshua Primrose said:

I agree.  I think it's important to note that fantasy, in the right conditions, is just as 'real' as reality, and the events that happen within them can be just as impactful as those without.  It's easy to ignore these aspects of video games if we don't think of them as an art form, which I think doesn't give the creators of such artistry enough credit.  There's a tranquility and some sense of belonging for someone to find in each of the races, and that matters more to me than any gameplay aspect that is offered, though admittedly that becomes a factor further down the line.  I'm extremely grateful to this game, and even this community, for helping me become comfortable enough to talk about it in this way.

And yes, you can call me Josh.  :)

Same! I share that gratitude wholeheartedly. It's great to have folks around who really get it. 

• 295 posts
    September 7, 2017 7:39 PM EDT

Felkros said:

That's too funny. I'll definitely give that old horse a read again. :P

• 224 posts
    September 15, 2017 1:09 AM EDT

Hello Mr. Paul, my favorite TES race is Imperial, I'm going to tell you about lore what I think of Imperials.

I think resemble humanity with all their virtues and deffects, I like their history with Alessia Rebellion raising humanity againts slavery againts the subjugation and the worst face elves have ever had what were the Ayleids. Of course not all beings of races are equal on their values and features, but some things remains on each culture, some particular features distinguish them, If I think in an ideal Imperial, highlighting their most special features, I will say the will at fight adversity, their planner mind and their ambitiousness, despite this last one could be seen as a defect can also be a virtue If that ambitiousness is focused on good deeds. Other thing I love of Imperials what is not a good virtue is their plottery, I really love that of their culture, Imperials usually got involved in a serie of complex schemes and nets, like Mafia, Romans, Italians, I really like that, and I like it so much, what I like most is the counter-plottery. Also I like Imperials because I feel Imperial my self, I'm descendent of Italian family. I like TES races and cultures due resembles in different ways real life "races" and cultures. so think this classic question is always a good one!

• September 15, 2017 10:52 AM EDT

Medieval said:

...Also, I like Imperials because I feel Imperial my self, I'm descendant of an Italian family.

I am glad you said this because I have changed my favorite due to this reason in a sort.

Originally my favorite was Khajiit because they were cat people, but after looking through the Lore, I have discovered I have a major thing in common with my new favorite race, Breton. Everyone knows that Bretons are basically a mixed race of Elf and Human and they combine Elven and Man ideas to form their own, this is something I can relate because my mother is Japanese and my father is French thus making me similar to the Bretons for I combine both the ideas of East and West. Their home of High Rock also reminds me of parts of my home country of French and Ireland and Scotland, two places I have visited before and fallen in love with the landscape. Plus, Bretons make for some of the best Battlemages and Soccers two classes I always love playing as.

• 773 posts
    October 1, 2017 2:56 PM EDT

Final results

• 1595 posts
    October 1, 2017 4:53 PM EDT

The Bretons and Khajiit share 3rd place?! What the actual? I thought the kitties would have it in the bag. Cats love bags!

• 1467 posts
    October 1, 2017 6:27 PM EDT

There must be a bit of a glitch in the poll, just don't believe Bretons could nearly win, no way when you've got...9 good Races to choose from. I guess it must be a gameplay only thing

• 743 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:10 AM EDT

Dragonborn1921 said:

There must be a bit of a glitch in the poll, just don't believe Bretons could nearly win, no way when you've got...9 good Races to choose from. I guess it must be a gameplay only thing

Why do I feel like this is targeted towards someone who's username starts with a "Rog"?

• 278 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:25 AM EDT

I wonder why. #DUNMERMASTERRACE

• 558 posts
    October 5, 2017 7:07 PM EDT

I am shocked that Imperials got second place. There must be more Legionnaires on this site than I thought.

• 17 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:15 PM EDT

Not surprised, Dunmers are cool as xD

My personal favourite is the Imperials though. I guess there's a lot of sentimental motive for my love for Imperials since my first TES game was Oblivion and my first character was an Imperial, but I also like the lore of the Imperial race. Of all human races they are by far the most educated, artistic and intelligent, and without them humanity would still be at the stone age basically (or TES equivalent of the stone age anyway). I like the whole Roman thing and how well the writers managed to include that in their universe without making it feel out of place.