Forums » Elder Scrolls

POLL: Favourite Elder Scrolls playable race

• 773 posts
    September 4, 2017 4:56 AM EDT

Yay... site polls are back!

Those with long tenure on the Vault (and before that, the Skyrim Blog) will recall the many weekly polls that we had on the front page of the site over the years. Well, the good news is that site polls have returned. Initially this will be monthly - but perhaps it will become more frequent. Let's see how it goes...

And to kick off this new era of polls, here is a poll that has been certainly done before and has always been mega-popular

Which is YOUR favourite Elder Scrolls playable race?

I've put all ten into the poll which currently lives on the front page sidebar. Simply pick your favourite and - most important - tell us WHY in the thread below. I look forward to your vote and comments.

P.S Khajiits are the best. You just know it ;) 

• 1595 posts
    September 4, 2017 5:25 AM EDT

Imperial. Come from anywhere race more so than any other, ideally suited to the first plythrough of any TES game. Tried playing a Nord from Windhelm in TES V? Don't work, nobody there will know who you are and ruin immersion quicker than a fat bloke ruins his trousers. More than that, though, it was their mythic history that sucked me into lore when I first entred TES, and it's their religion that we are most familiar with.

Love my Khajiit, Dunmer, Altmer and Nords, and have probably played more of them than I have Imperials in recent years. But my heart beats a red diamond that will never truly be stilled :p

• 627 posts
    September 4, 2017 5:53 AM EDT

Noone will be surprised that I picked the Superiors since everyone else will be as well :P They are the best because they are superior and are superior because they are the best and more circular logic...

This post was edited by Golden Fool at September 4, 2017 5:53 AM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    September 4, 2017 6:01 AM EDT

So I put Dunmer but to be honest I'm tied between Dunmer/Altmer because the Elves are really excellent. I mean, the Dunmer have a rather fleshed out culture, society, religion, etc. They've got the most interesting religion as well in my opinion because we've been able to clearly see how it's evolved with the rise of the Tribunal, coming of the Imperials and just the Daedra/Ashlanders. So I'm a big fan of them for all these reasons, and Altmer are just awesome and of course I kind of blame Straag Rod for me loving Altmer so much :D

So yeah, really I just like everyone but Bretons because fuck Bretons. 

• 649 posts
    September 4, 2017 6:09 AM EDT
    Someone picked the Orcs. Huh, weird. I picked Redguards :P
    • 167 posts
    September 4, 2017 6:55 AM EDT

I 'll have to go with the Altmer or High Elves for this one. The reason is that I like their culture and "train of thought" in general (before the Thalmor took control at least, this is quite complicated though so I won't go into details here) and also because elves are cool :D .

• 44 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:14 AM EDT

I picked Dunmers because it was first race I ever player in TES world, and I love their culture and architecture. Not to forget Ashlanders which are always being interesting subject to me. I have also played Nord and Breton, but you just gotta love Dunmers! :P

• 261 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:20 AM EDT

I honestly can't say I have a favorite race, I like them all.

• 773 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:21 AM EDT

Dragonborn1921 said:

So I put Dunmer but to be honest I'm tied between Dunmer/Altmer because the Elves are really excellent. I mean, the Dunmer have a rather fleshed out culture, society, religion, etc. They've got the most interesting religion as well in my opinion because we've been able to clearly see how it's evolved with the rise of the Tribunal, coming of the Imperials and just the Daedra/Ashlanders.

I'm inclined to agree DB. Dunmer have probably the most fleshed out culture and lore simply because of the depth of how they were portrayed in Morrowind. I don't think will ever topped, because now that we have come to expect fully-voiced dialogue we're never going to get the amount of exposition that we had from the reams of text-based dialogue in Morrowind.

I've still not done all that much in the Morrowind expansion in ESO, because I'm kinda 'saving it' for when I have the opportunity (and the time) to make a fresh Dark Elf character to play in Vvardenfell. But I hear there is a LOT of Dark Elf lore in that expansion.

• 773 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:22 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Noone will be surprised that I picked the Superiors since everyone else will be as well :P They are the best because they are superior and are superior because they are the best and more circular logic...

OK, I'll bite GF: Which race do you mean? ;) 

• 140 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:37 AM EDT

Hmm, this is a bit of a tough one for me.

Gameplay-wise, I've always liked Nords and Argonians due to their abilities and Skill-bonuses, but for culture I just can't say no to Dunmer. Nords are decent there as well I suppose (I've always had a soft spot for Viking culture), and I've always liked learning new things about the Lizards and their history. But again, Dunmer are just so much more detailed in just about every aspect.

Eh screw it. I'm voting Dark Elf.

• 321 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:38 AM EDT

I'm tied between Dunmer and Altmer like Deebs. Both have rich culture and lore, the former being a bit more bizzare than the latter. 

• 295 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:39 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Agreed, there can only be one... 

• 627 posts
    September 4, 2017 8:00 AM EDT

Paul said:

Because they are superior and everyone knows they are superior, there is no need to name them ;D

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

Liss gets it :P

• 773 posts
    September 4, 2017 8:03 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Paul said:

Because they are superior and everyone knows they are superior, there is no need to name them ;D

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

Liss gets it :P

OK, Breton it is then...

• 627 posts
    September 4, 2017 8:07 AM EDT

I said there was no need to name them and since you named the Bretons they clearly aren't the Superior race :P

• 457 posts
    September 4, 2017 8:49 AM EDT

I remember watching my brother-in-law playing Oblivion; he was crawling through an Ayleid ruin, and I was captivated. He took the time to explain the game to me a bit, mentioned he was playing a Dark Elf, and even showed me what his character looked like. I kind of fell in love with the concept, so naturally the first race I played in Oblivion was Dunmer--same with Skyrim.

I don't play them quite as frequently as I used to, but Dunmer are still my favorite race.

• 70 posts
    September 4, 2017 11:18 AM EDT

My first Race in Oblivion was a Bosmer because i looked at gamefaqs (biiig mistake) for the best Assassin class (Edgy 12 Year old right there). After getting into Roleplay and reading alot about the Lore i either Play Argonian for the rich and interesting culture they have or an Imperial since they are the most "Human like" Race . No weird magic stuff or anti frost Skin, just a dude who is a little lucky ^^ 

This post was edited by Vezrabuto at September 4, 2017 11:20 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 4, 2017 11:56 AM EDT

You know I usually choose Khajiit for this question, but I think I've had a change of heart. Now I reckon the Orcs have just cinched them out of the top spot. Hmmm, it looks like Karver's subliminal message is working...

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 4, 2017 12:06 PM EDT

It's been so long since I last played TES properly that I'm not sure I'll be able to choose my favorite based on gameplay. But lore-wise, my favorites are the Nords and the Dunmer, respectively... Although maybe I'm biased in favor of the Nords since my definitive Dragonborn is one and because I'm fascinated by real-world Norse mythology.

Damn. I really want to go back to playing RPGs. I keep saying "when I have more time", but that time never comes!

This post was edited by Mr. at September 4, 2017 12:06 PM EDT
    • 490 posts
    September 4, 2017 12:33 PM EDT

Imperial! I guess I blame it on Oblivion being my first ES game but I love the history, rich, RICH culture, Cyrodiil, Ayleid ruins and White Gold Tower being associated with the Empire, the Empire itself, and much more. Imperials are an extremely versatile race but what is cool is that "Imperial" isn't really a "race" - we have Colovians and Nibenese lumped together which gives more diversity. Imperials could be sneak thieves, straight up Legion fighters, powerful Battlemages, and much more easily by their stereotype.

• 13 posts
    September 4, 2017 1:32 PM EDT

You're right, Khajiit are the BEST. <3

• 284 posts
    September 4, 2017 2:00 PM EDT

Dunmer. Don't get me wrong, I love the Altmer and the Khajiit just as much. It's just that Dunmer culture, tradition, religion and just the overall look and feel of Morrowind that draws me to the Dunmer. Also, because I absoulutely love Brelyna from the College of Winterhold.

• 404 posts
    September 4, 2017 2:11 PM EDT

I picked Orcs because I do like them and in Oblivion I started as one besided the Nord. I also like Dunmer sometimes and Nords are alright

This post was edited by ShyGuyWolf at September 4, 2017 2:12 PM EDT
    • 773 posts
    September 4, 2017 2:17 PM EDT

Henson said:

Imperial! I guess I blame it on Oblivion being my first ES game but I love the history, rich, RICH culture, Cyrodiil, Ayleid ruins and White Gold Tower being associated with the Empire, the Empire itself, and much more. Imperials are an extremely versatile race but what is cool is that "Imperial" isn't really a "race" - we have Colovians and Nibenese lumped together which gives more diversity. Imperials could be sneak thieves, straight up Legion fighters, powerful Battlemages, and much more easily by their stereotype.

Interesting. The gameplay reasons you give are the reasons that I consider them to be the least interesting race! I just find Imperials to the archetypal vanilla race, capable for most purposes, but not really very distinctive. In other words a bit 'meh'...

Funny how we see things differently :)