Forums » Elder Scrolls

Creation of Family Sigils (accurate to lore)

    • 1437 posts
    August 28, 2017 8:11 PM EDT

    Davey, that rocks! That's an impressive lineage, trust the Altmer to track it. The current patriarch or matriarch of the Azaraths must be a very powerful and influential individual indeed, I hope he's not pro-Dominion :D The motto is good, I like that, very well-thought out. The whole thing is clever, all that symbology tells the tale of the culture and beliefs of kinhouse Azarath. Very impressive, yes do more or expand on the Azaraths in a RP Profile or the like. 


    This post was edited by Paws at August 28, 2017 8:12 PM EDT
    • 1437 posts
    August 28, 2017 8:18 PM EDT

    Medieval said:

    Nice concept Paws!, your talent and inspiration is represented on the coat of arms you have created, that is the idea to make your inspiration flow on your representation in an artistic way, mixing lore concepts and your own idea in one shape, I hope this worth to be more poeople interested on participate on this, you "have put the first rock", I appreciate it. ( by the way I try to speak the best english I can, so forgive me If I say something weird xD, I'm always improving on it)

    Thanks Medi :) It's still in progress, but may need to take it to the art group for help. I will play around a bit more later and see how it goes. Your English is fine, don't worry, and I too hope others join in - it's fun, creative, and a nice new way of looking at a character. Can't recommend it highly enough - it's a great idea!


    This post was edited by Paws at August 28, 2017 8:21 PM EDT
    • 224 posts
    August 28, 2017 8:23 PM EDT

    Paws said:

    Davey, that rocks! That's an impressive lineage, trust the Altmer to track it. The current patriarch or matriarch of the Azaraths must be a very powerful and influential individual indeed, I hope he's not pro-Dominion :D The motto is good, I like that, very well-thought out. The whole thing is clever, all that symbology tells the tale of the culture and beliefs of kinhouse Azarath. Very impressive, yes do more or expand on the Azaraths in a RP Profile or the like. 

    Thank you. Yeah, I thought so too. They are indeed a very powerful since they are considered one of the "original" families and they have major power in the military, and no they currently hate the current Dominion but were supporters of the old one. Thank you and I thought it was a great fit. Yeah, that comes from me looking up all the Heldary symbols and trying to translate it to the Elder Scrolls world and finding ones that fit them perfectly. I may do both actually, I had a lot of fun doing this so if anything I may create an Azarath family tree and an RP profile for the current Matriarch of the Azarath family, and create some more sigil and such.

    Also, I would like to say thank you because you were right about me joining in on this and having fun.

    • 1437 posts
    August 29, 2017 2:17 AM EDT

    Edited it a bit else I wouldn't be able to sleep, here's my newest attempt - I gave it a leather boss background as if it were an actual shield, for some reason:

    The bull's head is pretty self-explanitory: Mor was a bull, father of minotaurs with Alessia. The triskelion is the device of Morthal, in itself a very old pre-celtic symbol. In TES the number three is just as significant as it is in our own religions, representing as it does all the gradients back to the original interplay of the three primal concepts; Anu, Padomay, and Nir. In this case, the three are Morihaus, Al-Esh, and Pelinal. 

    I have yet to incorporate the Lord Sign, that's the next stage. 

    The motto, "of kindred fugue" comes from the following verse from Morihaus' Lament for Pelinal:

    "Who set us to self-hubris, to burnt ribbons
    Of kindred fugue?
    Which tremble would do it worse?
    If my own abeyance might stamp summer
    Back into your pallid vanish,
    Would I lift this hoof again, assigned?"

     


    This post was edited by Paws at August 29, 2017 5:23 AM EDT
    • 224 posts
    August 29, 2017 8:38 AM EDT

    Paws said:

    Edited it a bit else I wouldn't be able to sleep, here's my newest attempt - I gave it a leather boss background as if it were an actual shield, for some reason:

    The bull's head is pretty self-explanitory: Mor was a bull, father of minotaurs with Alessia. The triskelion is the device of Morthal, in itself a very old pre-celtic symbol. In TES the number three is just as significant as it is in our own religions, representing as it does all the gradients back to the original interplay of the three primal concepts; Anu, Padomay, and Nir. In this case, the three are Morihaus, Al-Esh, and Pelinal. 

    I have yet to incorporate the Lord Sign, that's the next stage. 

    The motto, "of kindred fugue" comes from the following verse from Morihaus' Lament for Pelinal:

    "Who set us to self-hubris, to burnt ribbons
    Of kindred fugue?
    Which tremble would do it worse?
    If my own abeyance might stamp summer
    Back into your pallid vanish,
    Would I lift this hoof again, assigned?"

     

    Not bad, Paws. I would suggest you could make the wind symbol smaller and place it on the bull, and place the Lord sign below it, just a suggestion though.

    • 175 posts
    August 29, 2017 10:31 AM EDT

    We see the forest for the trees

    Here's a little something I threw together this afternoon. I'm going to assume it won't be too difficult to find out who this belongs to.

    • 1437 posts
    August 29, 2017 1:26 PM EDT

    Pickle Rick said:

    Not bad, Paws. I would suggest you could make the wind symbol smaller and place it on the bull, and place the Lord sign below it, just a suggestion though.

    Good call, I'll see where that thought takes me. 

    Teineeva said:

    We see the forest for the trees

    Here's a little something I threw together this afternoon. I'm going to assume it won't be too difficult to find out who this belongs to.

    Looks really cool, Tein :) 

    • 487 posts
    August 29, 2017 1:58 PM EDT

    Bloody hell everyone! Tein, David and Phil you're all smashing it! They all look like they'd be in Game of Thrones, simple and elegant yet very informative.

    • 224 posts
    August 30, 2017 2:42 PM EDT

    This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Imperial family named Draconus. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Protector Antionus Julius Draconus, who was the Grand Protector of the Order of Hour. Their motto is Jus est Ordo Draconis which means the Law is the Order of the Dragon in Latin. The Crismon background represents the blood that was split in freeing Man from the Ayelids and their determination to protect Akatosh at all cost, and the Gold Dragon represents Akatosh the Dragon God of Time.

    I know this one is a little more basic, but I think it fits nicely. Also, as a note, I am planning on doing one of these for every race because of how much fun they are.


    This post was edited by David at August 30, 2017 3:55 PM EDT
    • 175 posts
    August 30, 2017 3:01 PM EDT

    Pickle Rick said:

    This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Imperial family named Draconus. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Protector Antionus Julius Draconus, who was the Grand Protector of the Order of Hour. Their motto is Jus est Ordo Draconis which means the Law is the Order of the Dragon in Latin. The Crismon background represents the blood that was split in freeing Man from the Ayelids and their determination to protect Akatosh at all cost, and the Gold Dragon represents Akatosh the Dragon of Time.

    I know this one is a little more basic, but I think it fits nicely. Also, as a note, I am planning on doing one of these for every race because of how much fun they are.

    Isn't their bloodline extinguished? Or were those the Draconis? I remember killing every last one of one of the two. Anyway looks nice.


    This post was edited by Teineeva at August 30, 2017 3:06 PM EDT
    • 224 posts
    August 30, 2017 3:59 PM EDT

    Teineeva said:

    Pickle Rick said:

    This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Imperial family named Draconus. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Protector Antionus Julius Draconus, who was the Grand Protector of the Order of Hour. Their motto is Jus est Ordo Draconis which means the Law is the Order of the Dragon in Latin. The Crismon background represents the blood that was split in freeing Man from the Ayelids and their determination to protect Akatosh at all cost, and the Gold Dragon represents Akatosh the Dragon of Time.

    I know this one is a little more basic, but I think it fits nicely. Also, as a note, I am planning on doing one of these for every race because of how much fun they are.

    Isn't their bloodline extinguished? Or were those the Draconis? I remember killing every last one of one of the two. Anyway looks nice.

    Nope because this family and others are ones I have made up in my C0DA, fanfiction, or whatever you want to call it. Draconis is the Genitive Singular version of Draco. Also, thank you.


    This post was edited by David at August 30, 2017 4:02 PM EDT
    • 1437 posts
    August 30, 2017 5:43 PM EDT

    Pickle Rick said:

    This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Imperial family named Draconus. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Protector Antionus Julius Draconus, who was the Grand Protector of the Order of Hour. Their motto is Jus est Ordo Draconis which means the Law is the Order of the Dragon in Latin. The Crismon background represents the blood that was split in freeing Man from the Ayelids and their determination to protect Akatosh at all cost, and the Gold Dragon represents Akatosh the Dragon God of Time.

    I know this one is a little more basic, but I think it fits nicely. Also, as a note, I am planning on doing one of these for every race because of how much fun they are.

    Very cool, nice and Imperial looking. Another RP profile or is this stand alone?

    • 175 posts
    August 30, 2017 6:32 PM EDT

    Pickle Rick said:

    Teineeva said:

    Pickle Rick said:

    This is my Sigil/Coat of Arms for the Noble Imperial family named Draconus. They can trace their lineage to the Grand Protector Antionus Julius Draconus, who was the Grand Protector of the Order of Hour. Their motto is Jus est Ordo Draconis which means the Law is the Order of the Dragon in Latin. The Crismon background represents the blood that was split in freeing Man from the Ayelids and their determination to protect Akatosh at all cost, and the Gold Dragon represents Akatosh the Dragon of Time.

    I know this one is a little more basic, but I think it fits nicely. Also, as a note, I am planning on doing one of these for every race because of how much fun they are.

    Isn't their bloodline extinguished? Or were those the Draconis? I remember killing every last one of one of the two. Anyway looks nice.

    Nope because this family and others are ones I have made up in my C0DA, fanfiction, or whatever you want to call it. Draconis is the Genitive Singular version of Draco. Also, thank you.

    I looked it up; there is a Draconis family in Oblivion and yes, those were the guys that end up murdered to the last man. Anyway interesting Sigil and background nonetheless.

    • 224 posts
    August 30, 2017 7:51 PM EDT

    @Paws Thank you and yes there will be another RP Profile for this one.

    @Teineeva My fault, I had no clue about that and I thought you were criticizing me for using nus and not is because is is used to show possession or of. Also, thank you.

    • 191 posts
    August 31, 2017 1:43 AM EDT

    This is really cool, great!, really good concepts,

    Paws, I can see the new coat of arms you have created resemble with Morthal and Morihaus; UESP: "Morthal, supposedly named after the great Nord hero Morihaus, is the capital of Hjaalmarsh" , interesting what have you described about "morthal" symbol, and the references of Lament for Pelinal is really poetic,

    Pickle Rick your new coat of arms of Draconus, I like the image and the colors meanings, and the refreneces to Order of the Hour, nice work,, and oh yes will be great to see more coat of arms or sigils with refreneces of lore.

    Welcome Teineeva nice concept, I can see Morthal symbols, a raven, collegue of winterhold symbol and the motto: "we see the forest for the trees", I think is cool you make people wonder about what family name, group or faction is that coat of arms, the idea of this activity is to give references and explain a bit what is about the coat opf arms or sigil you have created, from what have you inspired on and some lore references, thanks for participating, will be nice to see more.

    • 1437 posts
    August 31, 2017 3:47 AM EDT

    Medieval said:

    This is really cool, great!, really good concepts,

    Paws, I can see the new coat of arms you have created resemble with Morthal and Morihaus; UESP: "Morthal, supposedly named after the great Nord hero Morihaus, is the capital of Hjaalmarsh" , interesting what have you described about "morthal" symbol, and the references of Lament for Pelinal is really poetic,

    Pickle Rick your new coat of arms of Draconus, I like the image and the colors meanings, and the refreneces to Order of the Hour, nice work,, and oh yes will be great to see more coat of arms or sigils with refreneces of lore.

    Welcome Teineeva nice concept, I can see Morthal symbols, a raven, collegue of winterhold symbol and the motto: "we see the forest for the trees", I think is cool you make people wonder about what family name, group or faction is that coat of arms, the idea of this activity is to give references and explain a bit what is about the coat opf arms or sigil you have created, from what have you inspired on and some lore references, thanks for participating, will be nice to see more.

    Thanks Medi :) Spot on with Morthal, that is why Mor of my interpretation is a Nord. Here's my third attempt at the base concept, wanted to tidy it up a bit while still keeping a weathered look. Still looks like ass, but it was fun:

    • 175 posts
    September 9, 2017 6:54 AM EDT

    Medieval said:

    This is really cool, great!, really good concepts,

    Paws, I can see the new coat of arms you have created resemble with Morthal and Morihaus; UESP: "Morthal, supposedly named after the great Nord hero Morihaus, is the capital of Hjaalmarsh" , interesting what have you described about "morthal" symbol, and the references of Lament for Pelinal is really poetic,

    Pickle Rick your new coat of arms of Draconus, I like the image and the colors meanings, and the refreneces to Order of the Hour, nice work,, and oh yes will be great to see more coat of arms or sigils with refreneces of lore.

    Welcome Teineeva nice concept, I can see Morthal symbols, a raven, collegue of winterhold symbol and the motto: "we see the forest for the trees", I think is cool you make people wonder about what family name, group or faction is that coat of arms, the idea of this activity is to give references and explain a bit what is about the coat opf arms or sigil you have created, from what have you inspired on and some lore references, thanks for participating, will be nice to see more.

    Alright, Medi.

    It's the sigil of the Ravencrone family. The Dynasty of Morthal.

    The triskellions indicate the fact they rule Morthal, the raven comes from their name and the eye is not specifically meant to be the eye of Winterhold but it's about as good a mystical eye I could find within TES imagery.

    It is actually linked to their motto: To see the forest for the trees means you achieved a level of clarity above everyone else, just like the eye it references to the Ravencrones' hereditary ability to receive divine visions.

    • 191 posts
    September 20, 2017 11:38 PM EDT

    Nice concept Teineeva!, thanks for your participation!

    I must update this post, will be great to see more