Forums » Elder Scrolls

Daedric Prince Discussions: The Quests

• 278 posts
    August 13, 2017 8:21 PM EDT

Part One in a series of discussions I plan to do on the Daedric Princes, each focusing on a different aspect: This one is on Daedric Quests in every game. I want you to tell me your favoruite moments, (do it on the quests, not the Artifacts - their will eb a seperate discussion for that) I want you to tell me if there were moments were you just went "Wow" in a Quest. I'll do mine first: I've got two favourite moments, all from Skyrim. 

The Break of Dawn: I loved the Break of Dawn quest for one reason - the shrine of meridia. When she raises you into the sky, and you're flying and can see all of Skyrim, it just made me want to stay there forever - just like when Sheogorath raises you above the sky in Shivering Isles (if you attack him) The corrupted Shades were also super cool!

Ill Met By Moonlight: Hircine being my favourite prince of all time, he was bound to be on this list - but when I entered bloated man's grotto, and I went through that small arch and saw Sinding standing on the large pillar, the bloodmoon illuminated behind him - I just adored that imagery and stood there for about seven minutes just marvelling at the view.

Tell me yours!

• 1467 posts
    August 13, 2017 9:12 PM EDT

Hmm, to be honest I wasn't all that fond of most of the Daedric Quests in Skyrim, they were fine you know but ah... nothing flash for me. 

Honestly... Namira's is the only one that really stood out, the entire cannibal cult aspect of the quest line just made it really memorable and when they ask you to start chewing on the Priest, well it stands out as just a kind of WTF moment. I distinctly recall that first moment the first time I did the quest, but other then that I've always been more into doing them for the RP benefits or the reward rather than actually liking the quest.

• 1595 posts
    August 13, 2017 9:14 PM EDT

Meridia's statue and shrine is the cat's sack, only statue beating her's is Nocturnal's. That's good statuary right there, like "oh wow, I want one."

I think Dagon's little dagger reforming still makes me smile.

Image result for mehrunes razor gif

• 1467 posts
    August 13, 2017 9:20 PM EDT

Meridia's statue and shrine is the cat's sack, only statue beating her's is Nocturnal's. That's good statuary right there, like "oh wow, I want one."

Is it weird that the dagger always impresses me more than anything else (visually) in the game? Every time I see it I kind of imagine how badass they could have made other things, even though really things like the landscape should be more impressing. I'm kind of imagining how awesome it'd be if the dagger could always do that (like it disassembled in order to attack) 

Anyway, I forgot about that, the end of that quest is pretty solid (though honestly the quest itself never screamed DAGON to me you know. Not enough Destruction).

• 224 posts
    August 13, 2017 9:21 PM EDT

All the Daedric Quest in Skyrim were quite lackluster, to be honest.

I don't have a favorite, but I do agree with Paws Dagon's Razor reforming is pretty cool.

• 1595 posts
    August 13, 2017 9:26 PM EDT

Dragonborn1921 said:

Is it weird that the dagger always impresses me more than anything else (visually) in the game? Every time I see it I kind of imagine how badass they could have made other things, even though really things like the landscape should be more impressing. I'm kind of imagining how awesome it'd be if the dagger could always do that (like it disassembled in order to attack) 

Anyway, I forgot about that, the end of that quest is pretty solid (though honestly the quest itself never screamed DAGON to me you know. Not enough Destruction).

I totally get it. It's one of the neatest looking weapons in the game, and just begs to be played with. Grrr, need to add One Handed to the Red Wife now. I'd think she'd be skilled with her mitts, no? Also, that quest gives us the the cool red robes and access to the Commentaries, always a good read. Kinda want to get the robes and see how they look with Enmead-Cloaks of Evening Star.

• 1467 posts
    August 13, 2017 9:33 PM EDT

I totally get it. It's one of the neatest looking weapons in the game, and just begs to be played with. Grrr, need to add One Handed to the Red Wife now. I'd think she'd be skilled with her mitts, no? Also, that quest gives us the the cool red robes and access to the Commentaries, always a good read. Kinda want to get the robes and see how they look with ___________

Does that one have a pink option, Phil? Don't see the point in it if you can't run around with a pink hood on :P I was always a tad bummed about how cool the Mythic Dawn Robes looked but it was a fair bit better than the Oblivion version (which let's be real, were so bland) but without seeing all of the colours I suppose that it'll probably work together fairly well. 

• 1595 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:05 PM EDT

Dragonborn1921 said:

I totally get it. It's one of the neatest looking weapons in the game, and just begs to be played with. Grrr, need to add One Handed to the Red Wife now. I'd think she'd be skilled with her mitts, no? Also, that quest gives us the the cool red robes and access to the Commentaries, always a good read. Kinda want to get the robes and see how they look with ___________

Does that one have a pink option, Phil? Don't see the point in it if you can't run around with a pink hood on :P I was always a tad bummed about how cool the Mythic Dawn Robes looked but it was a fair bit better than the Oblivion version (which let's be real, were so bland) but without seeing all of the colours I suppose that it'll probably work together fairly well. 

You like the pink too, eh? There's not enough pink in Skyrim. There damn well better be a pink hood to wear or I am writing a letter to the mod author! I quite like the MD robes. Alright, you've given me a task. I'll dl that mod and try it out with the robes, see how it looks on Ilibi. Last time I played she was using the min-skirt collection mod. For reasons. I think that was taken down so this'll be safe to witness.

• 1467 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:15 PM EDT

You like the pink too, eh? There's not enough pink in Skyrim. There damn well better be a pink hood to wear or I am writing a letter to the mod author! I quite like the MD robes. Alright, you've given me a task. I'll dl that mod and try it out with the robes, see how it looks on Ilibi. Last time I played she was using the min-skirt collection mod. For reasons. I think that was taken down so this'll be safe to witness

Boo, nobody wants the Red Wife of Dagon to be safe to witness, that defeats the entire point of the character :P Hmm, pink is the natural colour for all characters. I guess there's probably some cool symbolism that you could throw into it too, something about I dunno...someone has to have a connection with the colour pink, maybe Sanguine...feels like the kind of guy who'd wear Pink Robes on Tuesdays.

• 278 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:21 PM EDT

Okay, now - let's focus on the Oblivion Quests! My absolute favourites have got to be Sanguine's quest, Hircine's Quest (UNICORNS! And he's my fave prince) and Sheogorath's quest - namira's is terrible, Molag Bal's is odd, and I didn't like Azuras - too boring. 

Sanguine: The ability to make eveyrone naked just made me so happy and laugh so hard, it was such a fun quest, just like his quest in Skyrim, and it was just so fitting for the Prince of Lust.

Sheogorath: Oh my god. Border Watch was such a cool town - all khajiit! - and the prophecy was cool, the cheese was unique, the rat plague, the falling dogs - it was just so cool! I adored this quest, and the wabbajack was also so cool!

Hircine: Unicorns!

• 1467 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:26 PM EDT

OH shit me, Azura's was boring as all hell. I think it was always supposed to be such a simple quest because you're supposed to do it for the Main Quest but they still could've made it slightly interesting. 

I have to admit that the only one that I really recall is Sheogorath's quest, to be honest, I mean it was just bloody hilarious and the way that they really integrated it in well with the Shivering Isles DLC. It wasn't just a good quest but it was also just really well planned out. Let me think, I ah, oh I never did like Malacath's questline, to be honest, I mean it was just kind of boring (like Azura).

That's all I can really remember, there were a few others that aren't great but...Nah I'll have to run a dedicated Oblivion playthrough designed to focus on the Daedric Quests.

• 224 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:50 PM EDT

For Oblivion I would have to go with Mephala's quest.

• 367 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:55 PM EDT

The one which I feel sinks its fangs in far deeper than any other, 

The one that howls out far louder than any battle cry, 

the one who's claws are razor sharp, slicing through anything else......

It has to be Hircine-Morrowind-Bloodmoon.

I don't care what or who you are, these scenes claws at your soul and wakens the inner wolf in us all.

Remember.....

There are no keys to the Hunting Grounds, 

the doors open to everyone.

• 404 posts
    August 13, 2017 11:17 PM EDT

one of my most Memorable Quest was the Sanguine one in Oblivion. that one was funny and bad if you have certain mods on.

• 367 posts
    August 13, 2017 11:52 PM EDT

In what way Shy? Also, what sort of mods did you mean?

• 404 posts
    August 14, 2017 12:09 AM EDT

that quest was funny and also body mods

This post was edited by ShyGuyWolf at August 14, 2017 12:09 AM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    August 14, 2017 12:37 AM EDT

I was just browsing through the Oblivion Questlines and I'd forgotten how they at least tried to make you work towards starting them. The addition of the summoning requirements was kind of nifty and at times (I'm looking at you Namira) could be quite troublesome and made you actually work towards the quest. Not in a major way, but ah better than just showing up like in Skyrim (also they were hidden a lot better) 

Oh and I forgot how interesting Hermaeus Mora's was, and of course, Boethia (spelt differently oooooh) had a pretty badass one. Man I really do need to go play Oblivion sometime...Eh maybe Skyblivion will work for me whenever it comes out.

• 1595 posts
    August 14, 2017 2:21 AM EDT

Wulf said:

Okay, now - let's focus on the Oblivion Quests! My absolute favourites have got to be Sanguine's quest, Hircine's Quest (UNICORNS! And he's my fave prince) and Sheogorath's quest - namira's is terrible, Molag Bal's is odd, and I didn't like Azuras - too boring. 

Sanguine: The ability to make eveyrone naked just made me so happy and laugh so hard, it was such a fun quest, just like his quest in Skyrim, and it was just so fitting for the Prince of Lust.

Sheogorath: Oh my god. Border Watch was such a cool town - all khajiit! - and the prophecy was cool, the cheese was unique, the rat plague, the falling dogs - it was just so cool! I adored this quest, and the wabbajack was also so cool!

Hircine: Unicorns!

Ok, so had to remind myself of Ob's quests. Agree on Uncle Sheo, was a great quest. Azura's too, but mainly because I did that soon after The Noble's Daughter and meeting Lord Rugdumph, best NPC in the region. Honorable mention to Molly B whose quest was sick enough to be memorable.

• 367 posts
    August 14, 2017 2:58 AM EDT

You know, the more I think on it the more I feel Morrowind and it's expansions had the best selection of quests over all. 

Wish there was a Companion Mod for it.....

• 275 posts
    August 14, 2017 5:03 AM EDT

I'm particularly fond of the first part of Mora's quest in Skyrim. Something about that dungeon crawl through Alftand and finally finding Blackreach is very satisfying to me. I've "bucketed" my way through the Tower Of Mzark before when I needed to hurry but I always felt sad because I deprived myself of the experience.

• 1467 posts
    August 14, 2017 6:37 AM EDT

Huh, I've always found Alftand and Blackreach to be some of the most mind-numbingly long and boring parts of the game. I just did it again recently and I think it was my fastest time but it still took a good four hours. Ah well, I guess that just shows off how people can enjoy different parts of the game :D

• 773 posts
    August 14, 2017 6:53 AM EDT

I think the problem with a lot of the Daedric Quests in Skyrim is that it was so easy to acquire the Artifacts that they didn't really feel all that epic when you did get your hands on them.

If they'd have had a long and involved 'chain' of quests that made you work really hard to get the artifact, then the artifacts would have felt more 'special' at the end of it.

• 127 posts
    August 14, 2017 10:08 AM EDT

One of my issues with the Daedric quests in Skyrim is that there are so few instances when you can stick it to the Daedric Princes.  I think there's, what, Clavicus Vile, Mehrunes Dagon and Hircine where you can take things in to your own hands and not just be a puppet in their games?  And even then it hardly changes things.  I would have liked more opportunities to carve out my characters' religious views rather than just going along with what the Princes want from me.

And preemptively, I don't think saying "if your character doesn't want anything to do with the Daedra, don't do their quests" is good enough.  I mean, the Daedra have a habit of dragging mortals into their games whether they like it or not, so it is more than likely that you, as the hero of the story, will be put firmly in their crosshairs.  And if I'm to be a deciding factor in how history will remember this era, surely there should be more options in the way you interact with all-powerful hell demon god things.

• 284 posts
    August 14, 2017 12:52 PM EDT

I have a hard time picking between Azura and Sheogorath's  quests. So, I'll choose Meridia's quest.

• 585 posts
    August 20, 2017 5:19 AM EDT

I don't even think I've completed a few Daedra quests so I'm not that qualified, but Sheo is great just because I had absolutely no idea what was happening most of the time. It wasn't difficult, just weird, which feels right for the Madness Man. It could've been a little more fast paced and random, stuff spawning outside the arena thingies for example, even if it wasn't an enemy like a fish or fox, it'd make everything a little more intense and overwhelming.