Forums » Fallout

Character Build Spotlight Channel

• 152 posts
    June 11, 2017 6:00 PM EDT

Hello hello! BaddMannatee here looking for some opinions on a recent desire of mine. So I love this site and love contributing to it, and I really enjoy my position as a host for the Hub. However, I want to do just a little bit more to bring up some activity and noteriety to the Fallout group and the TamrielVault in general. Now, I'm generally unskilled in MOST things involving a computer, but one thing I enjoy is video editing. Now again, I'm not ultra tech savvy, but I do have the basics learned from lots of annoying trial and error. My idea for how I could add to the inflow of Fallout member would be in the form of a Youtube channel that creates character build spotlights. Now, this wouldn't necessarily be a channel that is "directly" connected to the Vault; i.e. no on-site promoting of the channel. Instead, I would simply ask any of you builders if you would LIKE a video to be made for your build, I would replicate the build(I'm on PS4 but there are 2 mods that would make it easy to skip a long playthrough), and then make a nice spotlight of how the character works, key aspects, etc. (like a toned down version of FudgeMuppet if you've ever watched their content) and link your build and Tamriel Vault in the description. All benefit with no bad side effects (at least that I can see, let me know if you think there could be downsides)

Now, I understand that getting attention on a youtube channel is difficult, especially if you don't have a ton of time to invest into it. I get it. But, a random little video that I had to upload so I could get it onto this site has like 250 views and pretty decent watchtime. Again, 250 isn't a lot by any means but if i were to actually try then I'm sure that some of those viewers would maybe, just maybe, follow the link to your build, like what they see, and then become a member themselves. It's a stretch, but it seems like a worthy goal and fun road to it that I'd be willing to travel

So please just let me know what you all think, being 100% honest, and if you as a builder would like to raise your hand as a volunteer to have your build potentially showcased if I were to do this. 

Thanks guys! 

• 277 posts
    June 11, 2017 6:16 PM EDT

I'd volunteer my work as long as you inform your viewers who made the build, both verbally and written/displayed in the video. I'm willing to bet you'd get front page showcases here too.

• 152 posts
    June 11, 2017 6:34 PM EDT

Noodles said:

I'd volunteer my work as long as you inform your viewers who made the build, both verbally and written/displayed in the video. I'm willing to bet you'd get front page showcases here too.

yes yes full credit would be given to the builder! If desired, the builder's other works could be linked/mentioned as well

• 694 posts
    June 11, 2017 6:41 PM EDT

This is really awesome for you to offer up, Madd. :) I hope our builders take you up on this!! It'd be great to see some of the awesome work here get some more exposure. 

• 152 posts
    June 11, 2017 8:37 PM EDT

Edana said:

This is really awesome for you to offer up, Madd. :) I hope our builders take you up on this!! It'd be great to see some of the awesome work here get some more exposure. 

Thanks Edana, mutual benefits for everyone is always the goal :)

• 284 posts
    June 12, 2017 4:24 AM EDT

I think this is a great idea, but I'm a bit worried. While it has to potential to get new members, it could hurt the current ones. Let's say a new member makes his first build and you feature it on youtube. Here in the Vault, were friendly and give advices to one another. On youtube, there are people that aren't so nice. Some douche could easily comment shit and discourage the member from creating more builds. I still think this is a good idea, but we have to be carefull.

• 152 posts
    June 12, 2017 10:05 AM EDT

That's a very good and helpful point to make Delta. I think the best way to combat that would be to 1: focus on featuring builds that have been around awhile and recieved their proper praise on the site, rather than throwing out a new person's build that would need some reworking in the first place  2:I'd be regulating comments anyways (If the vids even get any lol) so I'd be sure hate is hastily deleted. Plus, I have confidence that our builds here are good enough to hardly recieve any scrutiny. I think I'll start it off by featuring my own bulids, for practice/trial and error and to at least build up a bit of a base of viewers before others' work gets put up. That way if it's all one embarrassing flop, only my work would be effected 

• 284 posts
    June 12, 2017 12:46 PM EDT

You can feature mine as well, I don't really care if some idiot spits on it. Plus, it would be good to see what people outside the Vault think. I could improve my building a lot. Plus, I like to confront assholes myself (that might have come out wrong) :)

• 248 posts
    June 12, 2017 2:14 PM EDT

go for it!

• 700 posts
    June 12, 2017 2:16 PM EDT

Absolutely. You have my full support.