Forums » Fallout

Questing v Grinding

• 215 posts
    May 22, 2017 2:21 PM EDT

Has anyone tried (really tried) to level up just by grinding and bypassing all the faction quests?  Seems that a ton of quests are tied into the factions and thus limiting the leveling possibilities.  Granted, you can let places re-pop and then clear them over and over but seems that missing out on quest XP really puts a damper in leveling up. 

Thoughts? 

• 284 posts
    May 22, 2017 3:41 PM EDT

I like both. Most of the time, my Pip-Boy is full of incomplete quests. If I see an opened building, however, I'll go in and explore. And I don't see any connection between side quest from normal wastelanders and the factions.

• 215 posts
    May 22, 2017 4:04 PM EDT

D3LTAFOX said:

I like both. Most of the time, my Pip-Boy is full of incomplete quests. If I see an opened building, however, I'll go in and explore. And I don't see any connection between side quest from normal wastelanders and the factions.

I do the same with buildings...but you don't see it being slower by missing quests for those same buildings?  Just striking me as lost XP. 

• 152 posts
    May 22, 2017 8:54 PM EDT

For my raider plauthrough I didn't touch a single faction quest. Instead I just went about killing everything and with the idiot savant perk I felt like I almost leveled faster this way (probs just felt like this cuz it was way more fun)

• 248 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:44 PM EDT

I know what you're saying here. I recall in my Torturer playthrough I intended on completely avoiding factions....and I did feel like the leveling suffered. You get really big XP boosts by some quests (especially institute quests, and BOS quests). The best way to offset this is actually perking INT or keeping INT low with Idiot Savant and / or chugging mentats with a perked chemist, and / or outfitting yourself in INT gear.

The game does tend to push you into faction/main quest lines. But not totally

This post was edited by Mottyskills at May 24, 2017 4:46 PM EDT