Forums » Elder Scrolls

What's the best combat mod?

• 15 posts
    May 21, 2017 5:06 PM EDT

What is the best combat mod according to your own opinion and why?

I finish exams in a week and I want to start Skyrim again but while I already modded my skyrim with immersive mods but I don't know which combat mod is the best. Vanilla combat is kinda boring and I want something challenging without just adjusting the difficulty to make the enemies just have more hit points.

Tell me your opinion and thanks in advance!

• 1595 posts
    May 21, 2017 7:47 PM EDT

I have been using Smilodon Combat of Skyrim on X1, and think quite highly of it. Combat isn't too different as to not be familiar, but it is more challenging and more rewarding in my opinion. Stagger affects both hinder and help, while timed-blocking provides for and encourages a more reactive and instinctual style.

I look forward to other opinions, as I have yet to experience things like Wildcat.

• 224 posts
    May 21, 2017 8:21 PM EDT

Like Phil said, Smilodon is great for Xbox One, so I have nothing to say about it.

Now, if you want a challenge beyond belief to use Wildcat, Vigor, Athelik, and YASH2 all of them together. Good lord, you will die in 5 or so seconds, you have to keep moving, be aware of enemies, you will have to know when to block properly, watch out for power attacks, and more. It is just unforgiving and brutal.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Modder's Conclave and not Elder Scrolls?

This post was edited by David at May 21, 2017 8:22 PM EDT
    • 224 posts
    May 21, 2017 8:25 PM EDT

I use six without having issues, activate just some features of the mods depending on your liking and considering the other combat mod features:

Also I use this settings on Skyrim.ini file:

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=1.0
    fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=2.0
    fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1500.0

Those makes the script works better on my gameplay

1.- Action Combat

2.- Deadly Combat

3.- Ultimate Combat

4.- Deadly Mutilation

5.- Vigor - Combat and Injuries

6.- Melee Weapon Range Fix

And some blood mods as Enhanced Blood Textures

Use those and you will have the best combat experience ever!!

This post was edited by Medieval at May 22, 2017 12:10 PM EDT
    • 64 posts
    May 22, 2017 2:01 AM EDT

Uhhhhhhh, combat mods my oh my! I run a combination of about 7 mods which make Skyrim just about as deadly as Dark Souls but also adds other essentials to combat like movement speed and the ability to dodge.

I would recommend using:

1) Wildcat - my favorite combat mod

2) Ordinator - not a combat mod but much nicer than ordinary perks

3) Imperious, Races of Skyrim - makes the races play out differently and adds some interesting mechanics to combat

4) Aurora, Standing Stones Mod - adds special combat abilities to all the standing stones

5) TK Dodge - a simple mod that makes a world of difference!

6) Apocalypse, spells of Skyrim - because everyone should use it! 

7) Crank your difficulty up to legendary and die from skeevers! No literally, these mods will force you to play slow, especially when combined with OBIS and mods of that sort.

(I have a few other mods to make the game harder but I cant remember them oof the top of my head)

Overall I've had some seriously awesome moments with these mods. I once had a 1v1 with a Badit Leader that took 8 minutes and it was a seriously awesome fight to the death with times blocks, dodges and powerattacks. However, if you arent so much a suicide fanatic as me, you should just play on adept and this combo should still work fine. 

• 15 posts
    May 23, 2017 3:54 PM EDT

Thank you all for the input.

To be honest I don't want to make it ridicusly difficult to kill someone when the enemy can kill me in 2 hits. This is what I hate in Legendary in vanilla skyrim.

I will install TK Dodge for sure, Violens and I will see what else.

Is Apocalypse, spells of Skyrim too OP for the game??? and in general all the magic mods I see, they seem very OP

• 87 posts
    May 24, 2017 9:23 PM EDT
    Wildcat-Combat of Skyrim is the number one best combat mod out there. You should definitely try it out. It doesn't make it ridiculously hard but it does add a significant challenge. Ordinator is also fun but a bit of a pain to set up.
    • 64 posts
    May 25, 2017 4:06 AM EDT

Apocalypse is the biggest and most well balanced spell mod out there. Go for it! It dosent break the game at all and if anything it adds even more playstyles to an already diverse skyrim.

• 15 posts
    May 25, 2017 7:28 AM EDT

BlueDremora said:

Apocalypse is the biggest and most well balanced spell mod out there. Go for it! It dosent break the game at all and if anything it adds even more playstyles to an already diverse skyrim.

i installed around 50 mods and apocalypse i will test it now with my orc shaman!