Forums » Elder Scrolls

On a scale of One to Ten, how much do you hate the Thalmor?

• 5 posts
    May 18, 2017 10:33 AM EDT

When I started playing Skyrim I hated the Thalmor and assassinated every one I saw.  However, after researching the lore and history of how all the races of Tamriel have interacted with each other over the years I came to the conclusion that the Thalmor, while they are an extremist group who takes things too far, are no worse than alot of Skyrim's nords who are just as racist and extreme.  Plus, we all know if the altmer conquered Skyrim, the nords would seek revenge and that is basically what the Thalmor are doing is their extremist way.

A side note, it amazes me how the dark elves get so little hate in Skyrim even though they opening worship daedra and have enslaved more races of Tamriel than any other race. Yet, everyone hates one the argonians who pretty much never went to war against anyone except the dark elves to retaliate for years of enslavement.

• 12 posts
    May 19, 2017 3:52 PM EDT

Thank you for your work, i already marked all this lesser beings for the Thalmor, soon the purge will begin.

In a scale of one to ten i will say -10 that means that i admire them. (this is a personal opinion, no roleplaying or whatever)

Necromancy i guess depends on the character i'm playing. For the killings, the guy i always kill is the Synod wizard in Mzulft and the Whiterun priest, and honestly nothing more, the rest it's all random or depending of what character i'm playing.

This post was edited by ThalmorWizard at May 19, 2017 3:54 PM EDT
    • 87 posts
    May 19, 2017 9:02 PM EDT
    Dragonborn1721 said:

I don't know, in the end I have to say, are the Thalmor worse than anyone else? They are an extremist group (which is always extremely important point to hammer down) but then the Dunmer did enslave Khajiit and Argonians for generations, possibly centuries and treated them pretty terribly, and that was as far as I can tell either out of misguided revenge (which one could argue is the same reason for the modern day Thalmor) or just racism. 

The Nords, well we can point out Ysgramor and Talos, and say that really they're big bad people who like murdering Elves but just look at some of the extremists mentioned in the Stormcloak Army and how they treat the Dunmer. That kind of just piles on with all the Ancient Elf-Murdering, and it just shows that the difference between the modern day Thalmor and Stormcloaks, well the only difference is that the Thalmor are far enough away from any leader that might potentially get all shitty about what they're doing, while the Stormcloaks are in their own city. It'd be interesting to see if say 'Folgard Dunmer-Killer' was sent of to Morrowind for whatever reason with a group of Stormcloaks, well I wonder what would happen there and whether we'd expect anything better than what the Thalmor are doing.

Let's see, the Bretons are boring so I don't even know. The Redguards don't have enough history yet for me to make assumptions and the Imperials can just be lumped in with the Nords (except they did slightly more invading). 

Are the Thalmor bad? By my real-life standards, totally evil guys, very bad. But by TES standards? Well then that could be a different story. I only mentioned things I can think of off the top of my head so I didn't name every evil, bad thing that someone did. So...Evil, but not as evil as I think they're portrayed. Yes they're supposed to be the bad guys, but they aren't the only bad guys. 

Well...that was a good dose of moral relativism. Of course all the races have done terrible things and they are all reprehensible, but that does not lessen the horrible acts the Thalmor have committed. For this reason, I say a 10.
  • May 22, 2017 6:21 PM EDT

Dragonborn1921 said:

... The Redguards don't have enough history yet for me to make assumptions ...

Wiped out the Left-Handers in Yokuda. Blew up Yokuda in a (probably) civil war. Then docked at Hammerfell and purged the land of its assortments of nedes, nords, orcs, and giant goblins.

Ah, what a week.

Back on topic: I'd say a 6 or 7 out of 10. I don't buy Kirkbride's assertion that they're the biggest threat to Nirn. We still got Dagon, Bal, Mora (I've heard some theories), old Jyg was said to have started conquering other planes of Oblivion before he was turned so he's a wild card, the Hist are still sketchy as fuck, etc. The Thalmor are dangerous, but Nirn has faced some major shit in the past. Some pointy-earred loonies down south don't really match up to the Lord of Destruction, eh? Yeah, they're in power now, but the same kind of invasion that put them in power could take them right back to square one.

• 39 posts
    June 22, 2017 4:56 PM EDT

As a Nord? 10. There is no group more reprehensible and disgusting. No one can deter us from our gods but ourselves.

As a rational on-looking RL player? 3. They are jerks but you can't judge the whole on the few we see in Skyrim.