Forums » Fallout

Rankings?

• 69 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:54 AM EDT

Hello!

So I recently had the idea after looking around the Vault and the Skyrim CB group something very particular..

As many of you know that frequent the Skrim CB they have rankings on their builds as a tag of sorts (Ex: Bloodworks)

With this I suggest (Directed towards admins and moderators as this is their area of expertise and their overall decision) that we add a similar aspect to our Fallout CB section! With adminsitrator approval I would like a vote to go up and names to be created on such a topic so as to get the communities opinion on the matter :)

You can message me directly or (preferably) post a comment on this thread expressing any concerns on the matter

Good day fellow Vaultlings,

-- FlamezSword

Side note: I hope to improve the feedback on character builds in the Fallout section of CB and give the builder a sense of accomplishment for their outstanding works (adding these tags could also be a good option for easier access) 

This post was edited by FlamezSword at May 12, 2017 8:57 AM EDT
    • 277 posts
    May 12, 2017 9:33 AM EDT
    In the Fallout group right now, there's one build at 26 likes, a couple more at 14-15 or 8-10 and the rest at 4-6 likes. I don't know if we really need rank tags at this time since there's such an enclosed range.

Motty, what do you think?
    • 69 posts
    May 12, 2017 9:40 AM EDT

Noodles said: In the Fallout group right now, there's one build at 26 likes, a couple more at 14-15 or 8-10 and the rest at 4-6 likes. I don't know if we really need rank tags at this time since there's such an enclosed range. Motty, what do you think?

This is shorta what I was hinting at, maybe if we have rankings people will be more likely to post feedback. Getting the community more involved in the Fallout side of things was my goal here, more comments, likes, suggestions, etc. :)

• 277 posts
    May 12, 2017 10:51 AM EDT
    Honestly, having a like system wouldn't influence me in building more. I make character builds because I like experiencing the game in various ways and photoshopping. But this is me. If Motty agrees to it, we could have a poll and see what our community thinks of it.
    This post was edited by Noodles at May 12, 2017 10:51 AM EDT
    • 215 posts
    May 12, 2017 11:04 AM EDT

FlamezSword said:

Noodles said: In the Fallout group right now, there's one build at 26 likes, a couple more at 14-15 or 8-10 and the rest at 4-6 likes. I don't know if we really need rank tags at this time since there's such an enclosed range. Motty, what do you think?

This is shorta what I was hinting at, maybe if we have rankings people will be more likely to post feedback. Getting the community more involved in the Fallout side of things was my goal here, more comments, likes, suggestions, etc. :)

Honestly, there are hardly any comments/likes on the Skyrim CB any more since the site migration for the vast majority of builds from what I've seen.  One reason they got rid of Deathmatches over there.  So while it did serve a purpose the current vibe is they aren't very useful.

• 284 posts
    May 12, 2017 12:23 PM EDT

I like the idea. Skyrims build ranks is one of the things that pulled me to the site. It's like having your build progress higher in the Arena of the Imperial City. Ranking system in Fallout CB: YES

• 248 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:44 PM EDT

hey there folks - my thoughts on rank tags are...complicated. 

1. I have a spreadsheet of every build going back to the NING days including the number of likes on those old builds. Many of them had 20, 30 even 60 likes. So what would we do with those?

2. Most builds now do not eclipse 10 likes. I believe since the move to social engine, Noodles Neuromancer is leading the way with 26. But an absolutely awesome build that was universally praised like Madd's The Vagabond sits at 10. And that was WITH a Building Spotlight. 

So my general feeling is that the ranking tag is not needed and we need to let the "like" system continue to take root. For whatever reason, people are less likely to click the like button these days or are just not attuned to clicking it as often. I don't have a real rationale for that. The build spotlights series is on hold till after the event, but I am hopeful those will continue to bring more attention (and likes) to builds. 

While, the rank system may help place an emphasis on getting likes, I struggle to see a need at this time. We are a small, and slowly growing band of devotees. Those of us who are here and want to be here are already engaging with every new build that is posted. It's hard to make a strong case ranks would change or add value to that experience. I also don't want to dilute the ranks based on current like volume. Meaning, "recruit" is 1-5 and "private" is 6-10 and "captain" is 11-15....or something like that. but if we go in bands of 10 or 15 or even 20, there'll be like one build above baseline. Know what I mean? 

All that being said, I'm open to change. Let me chat privately with Noodles a bit too. We'll chew on it and make it a priority to come to a decision. 

• 69 posts
    May 13, 2017 4:08 PM EDT

@Motty & Noodles

I understand, whenever you feel that the sight has become as popular as it once was and has a greater following feel free to message me for any ideas of names, etc.

That being said the purpose of this forum topic was to simply bring light to rankings and any other additions that we could feel is necessary on the site. This was in no way meant to pressure any moderators or server hosts into doing something that they believe to be unecessary at the time being 

Just wanted to make that clear if there were any doubts circulating in anyone's head, I appreciate everything you guys, and many others, have done for the community :)

• 248 posts
    May 13, 2017 4:19 PM EDT

dude we love the engagement - ideas are great! It's something we've talked on and off about since the Ning days when Fallout 4 launched and the first builds started dropping. At that time the hosts (which I wasn't at the time) and other influential builders were more or less uninimously opposed to adding ranks. I believe Henson summed it up roughly - "Just let builds be builds, leave the ranking out of it." 

I don't necesarily 100% agree and I see value in ranks because I think some builders and some readers really value them. It's something we'll continue to discuss. And Fallout lends itself to fun ranks. I have a word doc from May 2016 when I took over as host with this list because I was pretty sure we'd be adding ranks:

Fallout CB Ranks

But those were based on ning likes...from my previous post, I have concerns that current activity would render ranks more or less irrelevant...but yeah...we're talking. Keep engaging Flamez...you're awesome. 

• 69 posts
    May 13, 2017 4:36 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

dude we love the engagement - ideas are great! It's something we've talked on and off about since the Ning days when Fallout 4 launched and the first builds started dropping. At that time the hosts (which I wasn't at the time) and other influential builders were more or less uninimously opposed to adding ranks. I believe Henson summed it up roughly - "Just let builds be builds, leave the ranking out of it." 

I don't necesarily 100% agree and I see value in ranks because I think some builders and some readers really value them. It's something we'll continue to discuss. And Fallout lends itself to fun ranks. I have a word doc from May 2016 when I took over as host with this list because I was pretty sure we'd be adding ranks:

Fallout CB Ranks

But those were based on ning likes...from my previous post, I have concerns that current activity would render ranks more or less irrelevant...but yeah...we're talking. Keep engaging Flamez...you're awesome. 

Thanks Motty appreciate all the feedback, and speaking of engaging I just sent a request over to the Art Request Group for a Perkspread (I lack a decent PC and Editing program for making them myself atm) for the Many-Faced God (might have to send over a custom nameplate i made to get it improved as well) :)

• 277 posts
    May 13, 2017 5:43 PM EDT

Motty and I have talked about ranks and we've come to an agreement. Sometime soon, we're going to make a pool asking people if they want ranks for Fallout Character Builds to become a thing. Moreso, in order to hopefully please everyone, Motty and I will propose the following ranks in the poll:

- Vagabond (0 - 5 Likes)

- Wanderer (6 - 10 Likes)

- Atom Cat (11+ Likes)

Yes, the thresholds are a bit low but this way, we get to have more than one build in the each rank. We also want the Atom Cat rank to be within everyone's reach with some investment and a bit of luck. If the average number of likes per build grows in time, we'll adjust the thresholds and even add new ranks.

This post was edited by Noodles at May 13, 2017 5:45 PM EDT
    • 284 posts
    May 13, 2017 6:03 PM EDT

Noodles said:

Motty and I have talked about ranks and we've come to an agreement. Sometime soon, we're going to make a pool asking people if they want ranks for Fallout Character Builds to become a thing. Moreso, in order to hopefully please everyone, Motty and I will propose the following ranks in the poll:

- Vagabond (0 - 5 Likes)

- Wanderer (6 - 10 Likes)

- Atom Cat (11+ Likes)

Yes, the thresholds are a bit low but this way, we get to have more than one build in the each rank. We also want the Atom Cat rank to be within everyone's reach with some investment and a bit of luck. If the average number of likes per build grows in time, we'll adjust the thresholds and even add new ranks.

I like it! Maybe it gets people to press the like button more often.