Forums » Fallout

Canadian Eh

• 152 posts
    April 21, 2017 2:26 PM EDT

So while I'm finishing up my current build and playthrough, I'm looking towards the next idea on the list and am attempting to synthesize the core mechanics of it. So despite having done my research, I'm looking for some kind of justification for a key element in my build idea: I need a pre-war Canadian Rebel to have justification for siding with the BoS faction. For those of you who do not know this side of the lore, the US invaded Canada to get resources which led to many civilians attempting to fight back and forming a sort of rebel group (I'll be making a whole article on all of the details eventually) so I'm trying to make a kind of undercover rebellious/scout type character who uses suppressed automatics, the Flare Gun, Artillery flare, and(the main reason for needing the BoS) the Vertibird. My main goal is to explore the fun of throwing down flares and using outside help in fights which would make it a shame to not utilize the vertibird signal grenades. However I feel as though a character of this nature is more suited for the Railroad faction, and that the BoS should almost be the antagonist to this character as the "remanant of the oppressive US government" that he once fought against before. 

I probably went into way too much detail as usual, but would very much appreciate any outside help or opinions on this. Thank you!

• 277 posts
    April 21, 2017 2:52 PM EDT

As far as I've learned, the Enclave is a direct descendant of the pre-war U.S. government and military force. So, they're the ones who invaded Canada. But the Brotherhood of Steel is against everything Enclave. So there's your reason to join the Brotherhood.

• 700 posts
    April 21, 2017 3:39 PM EDT

The Brotherhood was formed by US Military deserters about 3 days before the Great War, so, maybe it's forgivable. The Enclave is the one to watch out for. They're the shadow government of the US. On the other hand, the Brotherhood does operate similarly to the pre-war US military by taking what they want with overwhelming force. So if your character can compartmentalize doing to other societies what the pre-war US military did to Canada, then sure, they seem fine to join. But I'm guessing that might be difficult for him, not because of the Brotherhood's history, but because of the means they use to gain their ends. But perhaps such means are justifiable when rebuilding human civilization as opposed to desperate acts of survivial. I guess it depends how deep you want to go to justify it one way or another. 

• 152 posts
    April 21, 2017 6:50 PM EDT

Ah yes the Enclave. I totally forgot about them since I haven't seen them since Fo3. So i guess at that point it could be that upon leaving the vault he learns about the Enclave and finds solice in joining a group that is prepared to stand against them. I guess with all the military based structure of the BoS I could just kind of be a rebellious yet necessary part of the force to keep to the against the military nature of him. Thank you Noodles and Legion!

• 55 posts
    April 21, 2017 7:11 PM EDT

I think if you step back and assume the most obvious and simple solutions are what people realistically take in situations where they face a problem/issue/etc. any character that is coming from the game's pregiven military background will find some form of comfort and familiarity with something resembling what they know. That considered any character who is heavily influenced from time in the military (of which almost any vetern is) would likely join the Brotherhood of Steel as it is the only thing resembling an organization or group that holds meaning and understanding for them. Things like raiders (although maybe not gunners....), the railroad, institute, even farmer/settlers would be utterly foreign to any military character. Now I know you said this is more of a covert style character that seems more at home with the railroad but the background of the railroad has little if nothing to do with espianoge. The modern military system does. Many if not all espianoge, special forces, covert strike teams and agents are training in a military setting with hyper advanced military training even far above regular military training. To you Canadian character the BOS would likely be the first people he meets where he goes "finally, now you people make some sense around this crazy world of ghouls, super mutants and tatos!".

My 2 cents. :)

• 152 posts
    April 21, 2017 9:59 PM EDT

Amornar said:

I think if you step back and assume the most obvious and simple solutions are what people realistically take in situations where they face a problem/issue/etc. any character that is coming from the game's pregiven military background will find some form of comfort and familiarity with something resembling what they know. That considered any character who is heavily influenced from time in the military (of which almost any vetern is) would likely join the Brotherhood of Steel as it is the only thing resembling an organization or group that holds meaning and understanding for them. Things like raiders (although maybe not gunners....), the railroad, institute, even farmer/settlers would be utterly foreign to any military character. Now I know you said this is more of a covert style character that seems more at home with the railroad but the background of the railroad has little if nothing to do with espianoge. The modern military system does. Many if not all espianoge, special forces, covert strike teams and agents are training in a military setting with hyper advanced military training even far above regular military training. To you Canadian character the BOS would likely be the first people he meets where he goes "finally, now you people make some sense around this crazy world of ghouls, super mutants and tatos!".

My 2 cents. :)

Appreciated as always Amornar :) I guess the main problem I had was just that the whole Canadian rebel part was coming from me coming up with an idea for Noodle's event where the build is based on something involving "filling the gap" of the huge hole in the main characters background. For me, I was going to say that yes he was apart of the military, but the filler is that during his time he was positioned in Canada and having both some roots there and seeing how cruel the people were being treated, he chose to join with the rebels and successfully did so with little detection from his US superiors. This simply presented the problem that he "left" military life which would be weird to make him go back to it while still retaining his newfound rebel nature. But again, your point still stands that regardless he would likely gravitate to any kind of military life, making the BoS desirable. Thank you again for your thought Amornar 

• 55 posts
    April 21, 2017 10:25 PM EDT

MaddMannatee said:

Appreciated as always Amornar :) I guess the main problem I had was just that the whole Canadian rebel part was coming from me coming up with an idea for Noodle's event where the build is based on something involving "filling the gap" of the huge hole in the main characters background. For me, I was going to say that yes he was apart of the military, but the filler is that during his time he was positioned in Canada and having both some roots there and seeing how cruel the people were being treated, he chose to join with the rebels and successfully did so with little detection from his US superiors. This simply presented the problem that he "left" military life which would be weird to make him go back to it while still retaining his newfound rebel nature. But again, your point still stands that regardless he would likely gravitate to any kind of military life, making the BoS desirable. Thank you again for your thought Amornar 

What if he previous to the annex by the US was a canadian....special forces...agent....sneaky person what have you and following the takeover the US military absorbs the Canadian military assets. Your character is subjected to a lot of testing if he can be trusted to work -for- the US and passes (because he is a covert op and good at this stuff). The US desperate for help against the Chinese in Alaska presses him into service but all the while he works behind the scenes to aid Canadian rebels who hope that following the defeat of China they can reclaim their home country. I imagine the character would be very unhappy with the US for what it did....but China would still be worse to him for the threat they pose. Also I might add that the BOS might be US military founded, but little to nothing of "America" remains. More food for thought. :)

• 11 posts
    April 22, 2017 4:09 AM EDT

You could say he escaped from Canada after it was annexed and was living in the US illegally on false documents but also due to this he got conscripted into the military like other citizens. The BoS is derived from the US military yes, but it's a completely different type of organisation now, it serves no nation, they are pretty much an order with a goal, a fairly noble one at that, safeguarding technology which may be abused by certain groups or individuals. I think someone thinking in the long run for the 'greater good' would be able to sympthasize with them. Though you could still be rebelious in nature such as sparing that certain individuals and how you handle certain side missions.

• 152 posts
    April 22, 2017 7:22 AM EDT

Amornar I REALLY like that idea, it'd give both explanation to the rebel covert nature as well the militaristic lifestyle attachment. I'll have to weigh all of this and see what I wanna weave together. Thank you everyone! 

• 152 posts
    April 22, 2017 7:24 AM EDT

Elyrius said:

You could say he escaped from Canada after it was annexed and was living in the US illegally on false documents but also due to this he got conscripted into the military like other citizens. The BoS is derived from the US military yes, but it's a completely different type of organisation now, it serves no nation, they are pretty much an order with a goal, a fairly noble one at that, safeguarding technology which may be abused by certain groups or individuals. I think someone thinking in the long run for the 'greater good' would be able to sympthasize with them. Though you could still be rebelious in nature such as sparing that certain individuals and how you handle certain side missions.

I guess with the right mindset it could be argued that by him being apart of a seemingly "oppressive" group (not saying the BoS is evil, they just have this greedy "superior than you" attitude that seems to linger) he could ensure that it doesn't get out of hand while also having someone to watch his back