Forums » General Gaming

Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch thread!

• 261 posts
    April 15, 2017 4:18 PM EDT

What is this, you ask? MM8BDM is, quite possibly, the best indie game I've ever played! It is, as the title implies, a first-person shooter inspired by the NES Mega Man games, using a modified DOOM engine, and uses the same 8-bit visual style. What really makes it unique, however, is the content. Let's take a look...

-80+ weapons! Not kidding. *Every* weapon from Mega Man 1-9 and the spin-off Mega Man & Bass (and then some!) are in the game, and all function uniquely. This leads to a slew of strategies one can do, and offers a lot of replayablility.

-80+ stages! Like the weapons, every stage from the aforementioned games is in the game, and they're all unique challenges.

-Online multiplayer! No joke, with the Doomseeker program, you can host and join online matches. This of course is awesome.

-Good Campaign! The MM8BDM team is always fiddling with their Campaign mode, so it's really good. You go through all the Deathmatch stages (complete with NPC enemy versions of the Robot Masters, who offer funny commentary), with special boss fights every now and then. Fair warning: It's pretty tough.

-It's *free*! That's right, completely free. Just download the program and play! Note that the executable is Windows, but the engine comes for Mac and Linux as well, so you can play MM8BDM on other operating systems.

Well! I think I've ranted long enough. Here's a trailer to get you even more excited (note that it's old; currently, the game is on V5) and the site link!

http://cutstuff.net/mm8bdm/

• 261 posts
    April 16, 2017 5:15 PM EDT

If there's people interested, I can make a Tamriel Vault server. That way, we can murder each other with our own rules!

This post was edited by Tenebrous at April 16, 2017 5:16 PM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    April 16, 2017 6:27 PM EDT

I've given it a bit of a shot, and I'm not sure if it's me being terrible at Doom or Mega Man (both are totally valid) but I am beyond terrible at this game. I might keep playing it, but I'm not sure if it's really the game for me (I am a big fan of the recent Doom remake, and Mega Man has always been a series that I've meant to get into) but I'm not sure how well they've combined, it seems like the mechanics of all the weapons were really better in 2D (which, correct me if I'm wrong but most/all of the Mega Man games were done as 2D side-scrollers right?) and don't translate that well to the mechanics of Doom.

But, I'll give it at least another hour to see if I can get the hang of it and have a bit of fun with this. 

• 261 posts
    April 17, 2017 5:58 AM EDT
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from. It is mechanically very different from... Well, any other shooter. Even DOOM, and they share an engine! Doesn't help that the AI is pretty good.