Forums » General Gaming

How Has Your Gaming Perspective Evolved?

    • Moderator
    • 627 posts
    April 4, 2017 9:11 AM EDT

    5 years ago, I would have been currently playing COD as if tomorrow wasn't going to happen. Shooters were always one of my favorite genres because they were fast, action-packed, and had cool looking guns. But after getting Skyrim, I noticed a very slow change in how I perceived gaming. I had always loved RPGs, (thank you uncle, you can still probably kick my ass at Skyrim) but Skyrim exposed to me a different "feel" that many RPGs tend to share some certain qualities of, and some that tend to be exclusive to their respective titles. Now, I've gotten to the point of no longer really caring for shooters at all. RPGs and historical games are the only two genres I can really get immersed into now. Is this common, or am I a lunatic? I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced a similar (or not so similar) change in preferences. 

    • 425 posts
    April 4, 2017 12:34 PM EDT

    I'm pretty much the same. I was 11 when Skyrim came out, so I firmly in the 'Squeaker' demographic of COD players - annoying everyone that hadn't already muted me with high pitched gibberish.

    Then Skyrim came out, and I instantly gained an appreciiation for depth and thinking in games, hell, I put more thought into designing my character than anything else I'd done in games (well, I played Total War with my dad when I was younger, but I just watched and felt important).

    Around 2013 I got into BF3 and Total War again, which distracted me a bit from Skyrim but both games still had a lot of depth (for a shooter for BF3). Then I went back to Skyrim etc etc.

    So yeah, I reckon I've become a bit more appreciative of depth and substance in games now, not just the pretty mechanics.

    • 147 posts
    April 4, 2017 1:23 PM EDT

    The very first video game that I played was Call of Duty 2. For the next 15 years, FPS games were the only game I cared about.

     

    In 2013. , I discovered Skyrim. Most of my previous RPG experience was from WoW and I thought that RPGs are only good for multiplayer. I personally dislike multiplayer and avoid it unless it's something good. I like ESO, altough I only played it at my friends house.

     

    I opened Skyrim and learned for the first time that mindless action is not as important as a good world and an epic story. Now, my favorite genre is RPG, followed by RTS games. (can't resist Total War games).

     

    I still play all the new Call of Duty games out of respect for getting me into gaming, although they are all just "Copy, Paste" games after Black Ops 2.

     

    Here's a list of my top 6 games:

    - TESV: Skyrim

    - Fallout: New Vegas

    - Mass Effect 2 (Mass Effect 3 with the Expanded Galaxy Mod)

    - Total War: Shogun 2

    - Call of Duty 2

    - Bioshock

    • 824 posts
    April 4, 2017 6:46 PM EDT

    Hmm, well I guess they're more or less the same. I've been playing RPG's like Baldur's Gate since I was 5 or so (though at that age, playing is a really loose term :P) and Morrowind for a little less than that. So really, my core gaming of RPG's hasn't really changed in 14 years. The only major thing that's changed is that I'm a lot more open to playing MMO's, well Destiny, ESO, Warframe and Path of Exile, but I'm more open to it. I think it's because they've mostly evolved so that you can play them Solo without it casuing too many issues (though they're all much better with mates) and I'm very much a singleplayer kind of guy.

    Oh and of course I still play Age of Empires, been playing that (or the suprisingly good Star Wars version) for about 10 years now, oh and I stil maintain the desire to play every Star Wars game that comes out, even if it's just Star Wars Pinball so that definitely hasn't changed.

    So yeah, it isn't so much the type of games I play that's changed, but how I play them. 

    • 30 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:22 PM EDT

    That's a nice question for a topic.

    First of all my favourite type of games are RPG and MMORPG.  My gaming experience started when I was 7 playing with friends Tekken, Mortal Combat and some other classics. After that I got my first PC at the age of 10 and started buying all kinds of games fps, sports, strategic etc.

    What made me really get into gaming and start playing 80% (100% for long periods of time) of my gaming time RPGs was when I bought some D&D games that I don't even remember their titles. The fact that I could create a character however I liked in a fantasy setting was something amazing to me. Also the fact that I could make an Elf ! :P

    After that I got into my first online game, Lineage and that's when MMORPGs got at the top of my game list and I don't think they 'll ever come down :P . I played several mmorpg games and it is / was an amazing experiense that whoever has played that type of game in a good environment with friends, guilds/clans and even solo sometimes for the lone wolf types out there knows what I 'm talking about. At the time I also started playing Counter-Strike with friends, fun times.

    After a long time playing mostly mmorpgs  I started playing some other types of games like FPS, MOBA and some time later my first online card game - Hearthstone. Of course I also played Skyrim. For years I had given up and never thought that such a good non mmorpg would come out but it was a nice surprise.

    That's how my gaming perspective evolved through the years and I 'm glad that I enjoyed playing and had fun with all these different types of games. The balanced and healthy gaming is a hobby that can really give a lot to those who do it, in many levels.

     

    Some of my favourite games without any order just randomly naming them, online and not:

    Lineage, Tera, Age of Empires, Lord of the Rings (strategy non online and online), Need for Speed series, Counter Strike, Pro, Fifa, D&D series, GTA series, Neveriwinter (mmorpg), League of Legends, Hearthstone, Blade & Soul, Rise of Nations, Dark Souls series, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Witcher, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Zelda and some other classics, Borderlands and many more :D !

    Some Honorable Mentions: 

    World of Warcraft, played it a bit from friends but never got into it a great game nontheless with long history.

    Dota, a great MOBA and enjoyable to play with friends for fun.

     

    Have fun gamers-adventurers!


    This post was edited by Duvain at April 4, 2017 8:24 PM EDT
    • 425 posts
    April 5, 2017 8:35 AM EDT

    Duvain said:

    Some of my favourite games without any order just randomly naming them, online and not:

    Lineage, Tera, Age of Empires, Lord of the Rings (strategy non online and online), Need for Speed series, Counter Strike, Pro, Fifa, D&D series, GTA series, Neveriwinter (mmorpg), League of Legends, Hearthstone, Blade & Soul, Rise of Nations, Dark Souls series, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Witcher, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Zelda and some other classics, Borderlands and many more :D !

    Bloody hell mate, I don't think I've played that many games in my entire life! They're some good choices though. Have you played any Total War? With the amount of strategy games in you list I think you'd really like it.

    • Moderator
    • 627 posts
    April 5, 2017 10:37 AM EDT

    Zonnonn said:

    I'm pretty much the same. I was 11 when Skyrim came out, so I firmly in the 'Squeaker' demographic of COD players - annoying everyone that hadn't already muted me with high pitched gibberish.

    Then Skyrim came out, and I instantly gained an appreciiation for depth and thinking in games, hell, I put more thought into designing my character than anything else I'd done in games (well, I played Total War with my dad when I was younger, but I just watched and felt important).

    Around 2013 I got into BF3 and Total War again, which distracted me a bit from Skyrim but both games still had a lot of depth (for a shooter for BF3). Then I went back to Skyrim etc etc.

    So yeah, I reckon I've become a bit more appreciative of depth and substance in games now, not just the pretty mechanics.

    This was too relatable to be honest:p 

    I tried BF1 and it was a small scale repeat of my COD stage. Enjoyed it for the first two weeks, traded it in and picked up Diablo 3. 

    • Moderator
    • 627 posts
    April 5, 2017 10:38 AM EDT

    D3LTAFOX said:

    The very first video game that I played was Call of Duty 2. For the next 15 years, FPS games were the only game I cared about.

     

    In 2013. , I discovered Skyrim. Most of my previous RPG experience was from WoW and I thought that RPGs are only good for multiplayer. I personally dislike multiplayer and avoid it unless it's something good. I like ESO, altough I only played it at my friends house.

     

    I opened Skyrim and learned for the first time that mindless action is not as important as a good world and an epic story. Now, my favorite genre is RPG, followed by RTS games. (can't resist Total War games).

     

    I still play all the new Call of Duty games out of respect for getting me into gaming, although they are all just "Copy, Paste" games after Black Ops 2.

     

    Here's a list of my top 6 games:

    - TESV: Skyrim

    - Fallout: New Vegas

    - Mass Effect 2 (Mass Effect 3 with the Expanded Galaxy Mod)

    - Total War: Shogun 2

    - Call of Duty 2

    - Bioshock

    It's easy to fall into the shooter trap, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just found it to be hollow, which seems to be your case here as well!

    • Moderator
    • 627 posts
    April 5, 2017 10:40 AM EDT

    Dragonborn1721 said:

    Hmm, well I guess they're more or less the same. I've been playing RPG's like Baldur's Gate since I was 5 or so (though at that age, playing is a really loose term :P) and Morrowind for a little less than that. So really, my core gaming of RPG's hasn't really changed in 14 years. The only major thing that's changed is that I'm a lot more open to playing MMO's, well Destiny, ESO, Warframe and Path of Exile, but I'm more open to it. I think it's because they've mostly evolved so that you can play them Solo without it casuing too many issues (though they're all much better with mates) and I'm very much a singleplayer kind of guy.

    Oh and of course I still play Age of Empires, been playing that (or the suprisingly good Star Wars version) for about 10 years now, oh and I stil maintain the desire to play every Star Wars game that comes out, even if it's just Star Wars Pinball so that definitely hasn't changed.

    So yeah, it isn't so much the type of games I play that's changed, but how I play them. 

    Dude, Age of Empires was my first historical/RTS game I ever played. I used to sit in front of my monitor hours on end researching and hitting the resource camps to slow down their progress. I'm gonna have to repurchase Ao2. I'm still not sold on the Star Wars game, though :p

    • Moderator
    • 627 posts
    April 5, 2017 10:44 AM EDT

    Duvain said:

    That's a nice question for a topic.

    First of all my favourite type of games are RPG and MMORPG.  My gaming experience started when I was 7 playing with friends Tekken, Mortal Combat and some other classics. After that I got my first PC at the age of 10 and started buying all kinds of games fps, sports, strategic etc.

    What made me really get into gaming and start playing 80% (100% for long periods of time) of my gaming time RPGs was when I bought some D&D games that I don't even remember their titles. The fact that I could create a character however I liked in a fantasy setting was something amazing to me. Also the fact that I could make an Elf ! :P

    After that I got into my first online game, Lineage and that's when MMORPGs got at the top of my game list and I don't think they 'll ever come down :P . I played several mmorpg games and it is / was an amazing experiense that whoever has played that type of game in a good environment with friends, guilds/clans and even solo sometimes for the lone wolf types out there knows what I 'm talking about. At the time I also started playing Counter-Strike with friends, fun times.

    After a long time playing mostly mmorpgs  I started playing some other types of games like FPS, MOBA and some time later my first online card game - Hearthstone. Of course I also played Skyrim. For years I had given up and never thought that such a good non mmorpg would come out but it was a nice surprise.

    That's how my gaming perspective evolved through the years and I 'm glad that I enjoyed playing and had fun with all these different types of games. The balanced and healthy gaming is a hobby that can really give a lot to those who do it, in many levels.

     

    Some of my favourite games without any order just randomly naming them, online and not:

    Lineage, Tera, Age of Empires, Lord of the Rings (strategy non online and online), Need for Speed series, Counter Strike, Pro, Fifa, D&D series, GTA series, Neveriwinter (mmorpg), League of Legends, Hearthstone, Blade & Soul, Rise of Nations, Dark Souls series, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Witcher, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Zelda and some other classics, Borderlands and many more :D !

    Some Honorable Mentions: 

    World of Warcraft, played it a bit from friends but never got into it a great game nontheless with long history.

    Dota, a great MOBA and enjoyable to play with friends for fun.

     

    Have fun gamers-adventurers!

    This was a very interesting reply! Neat to see you starting off of Mortal Kombat, I have MKX and it's fantastic. My first one was Deception. The fatalities were disturbing for 7 year old me but I thought it was too badass to quit playing, lol. Also, another Age of Empires fan? I didn't know anyone on this site ever knew about it.

    • 199 posts
    April 5, 2017 11:09 AM EDT

    I started at a very young age; my first game was Pokemon Ruby. After I exclusively played Pokemon for a few years, I expanded to other Nintendo properties, particularly Zelda. Then, my interest in Transformers led me to War for Cybertron (which was a pretty boss game), which introduced me to shooters, from which I expanded into Halo and old-timey Doom. And having a modern console led me to Skyrim, and by extension Elder Scrolls. And the rest is history. Really, I never stop playing games; I only add new ones to the list.

    • 30 posts
    April 5, 2017 12:57 PM EDT

    This was a very interesting reply! Neat to see you starting off of Mortal Kombat, I have MKX and it's fantastic. My first one was Deception. The fatalities were disturbing for 7 year old me but I thought it was too badass to quit playing, lol. Also, another Age of Empires fan? I didn't know anyone on this site ever knew about it.

    MK rulz :P . Age of Empires is in the top list of my favourite strategy games even thought it's been quite a few years since I last played it.


    This post was edited by Duvain at April 5, 2017 12:59 PM EDT
    • 30 posts
    April 5, 2017 1:02 PM EDT

    Zonnonn said:

    Duvain said:

    Some of my favourite games without any order just randomly naming them, online and not:

    Lineage, Tera, Age of Empires, Lord of the Rings (strategy non online and online), Need for Speed series, Counter Strike, Pro, Fifa, D&D series, GTA series, Neveriwinter (mmorpg), League of Legends, Hearthstone, Blade & Soul, Rise of Nations, Dark Souls series, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Witcher, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Zelda and some other classics, Borderlands and many more :D !

    Bloody hell mate, I don't think I've played that many games in my entire life! They're some good choices though. Have you played any Total War? With the amount of strategy games in you list I think you'd really like it.

    And to be honest looking the list again I see many missing like Halo, Unreal Tournament, Fable, Dragon Age etc... :P . Yeah I 've played some Total War even though I didn't own the game and it really is a good one.

    • 551 posts
    April 5, 2017 8:12 PM EDT

    Shooters used to be all I played. Gears and Battlefield were my mainstays, Halo was a good one to throw in for the campaign mode. After Halo CE, the multiplayer turned to shit. Hell, when I first played Oblivion, I returned it a week later. Never even made it outside of the Imperial City. Before Oblivion, I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, loved those. Before that, the only RPGs I'd ever played and finished were the Pokemon games. Never finished Chrono Trigger, never finished FF III, never finished FF IV, and so on. The classics were left in the dust. I only picked up Skyrim because a friend I trust who heard my earful of complaints about Oblivion vouched for Skyrim. Man am I happy he was right.

    Post-Skyrim, I still bounced between Battlefield and Gears. It wasn't until I had been here a few years that my tastes refined and I found myself hungry for narrative-driven games, character depth, interesting stories, and player choice. I wanted a game that didn't hold my hand. The internet told me to play the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, I listened. Hated it, thought it was a steaming pile of ass. Haven't touched a Witcher game since. But I still wanted a challenge. That's how I got into the Souls series. Haven't finished one Souls game but I've enjoyed almost every hour I've put into them. The atmosphere and combat attracted me most and made me hunger for more action. 

    Enter Arkham and Mordor. They're exactly what I want in an action game and typically act as my respites from Skyrim. Now, Skyrim is still about 70% of everything I play. I bounce between Skyrim, Fallout, Bloodborne, Batman, and Mordor now, maaayyybe with a little Xcom 2 mixed in every now and then. It wasn't until I played Battlefield 4's campaign a few weeks ago that I realized how much my tastes have changed. Or how far the standards for campaigns have fallen. It was laughable. Frankly, it was insulting! The whole time I was playing it, I was thinking, "I didn't make that decison - you could have put a choice here and here and here and here...". And I had that specific complaint because BF4 advertised their campaign as allowing player choice. There was one. At the end. It tried to be an emotionally heavy choice but it was flat and boring. BF4 is probably a bottom-of-the-barrel example anyway, but it made clear how spoiled I've become on Skyrim and similar player-driven games. 

    I'm really not sure where there's left to go from here. ES6 will be a "better Skyrim" I'm sure, but what innovation can truly be accomplished at this point? I suppose that's one reason I've taken to writing. The events of the world is 100% my choice. But that's neither here nor there. Skyrim ruined me. Nothing has lived up to the expectations that it set and I doubt anything ever will. But I can hope. 

    • 147 posts
    April 6, 2017 4:46 AM EDT

    Legion said:

    Shooters used to be all I played. Gears and Battlefield were my mainstays, Halo was a good one to throw in for the campaign mode. After Halo CE, the multiplayer turned to shit. Hell, when I first played Oblivion, I returned it a week later. Never even made it outside of the Imperial City. Before Oblivion, I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, loved those. Before that, the only RPGs I'd ever played and finished were the Pokemon games. Never finished Chrono Trigger, never finished FF III, never finished FF IV, and so on. The classics were left in the dust. I only picked up Skyrim because a friend I trust who heard my earful of complaints about Oblivion vouched for Skyrim. Man am I happy he was right.

    Post-Skyrim, I still bounced between Battlefield and Gears. It wasn't until I had been here a few years that my tastes refined and I found myself hungry for narrative-driven games, character depth, interesting stories, and player choice. I wanted a game that didn't hold my hand. The internet told me to play the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, I listened. Hated it, thought it was a steaming pile of ass. Haven't touched a Witcher game since. But I still wanted a challenge. That's how I got into the Souls series. Haven't finished one Souls game but I've enjoyed almost every hour I've put into them. The atmosphere and combat attracted me most and made me hunger for more action. 

    Enter Arkham and Mordor. They're exactly what I want in an action game and typically act as my respites from Skyrim. Now, Skyrim is still about 70% of everything I play. I bounce between Skyrim, Fallout, Bloodborne, Batman, and Mordor now, maaayyybe with a little Xcom 2 mixed in every now and then. It wasn't until I played Battlefield 4's campaign a few weeks ago that I realized how much my tastes have changed. Or how far the standards for campaigns have fallen. It was laughable. Frankly, it was insulting! The whole time I was playing it, I was thinking, "I didn't make that decison - you could have put a choice here and here and here and here...". And I had that specific complaint because BF4 advertised their campaign as allowing player choice. There was one. At the end. It tried to be an emotionally heavy choice but it was flat and boring. BF4 is probably a bottom-of-the-barrel example anyway, but it made clear how spoiled I've become on Skyrim and similar player-driven games. 

    I'm really not sure where there's left to go from here. ES6 will be a "better Skyrim" I'm sure, but what innovation can truly be accomplished at this point? I suppose that's one reason I've taken to writing. The events of the world is 100% my choice. But that's neither here nor there. Skyrim ruined me. Nothing has lived up to the expectations that it set and I doubt anything ever will. But I can hope. 

    I can relate to you. I only played FPS games before and now they are at the bottom of my genre list. I only play them because an FPS (CoD2) was what got me into gaming. I can't play a game that doens't have a good story or at least a singleplayer.

    • Moderator
    • 627 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:24 AM EDT

    Legion said:

    Shooters used to be all I played. Gears and Battlefield were my mainstays, Halo was a good one to throw in for the campaign mode. After Halo CE, the multiplayer turned to shit. Hell, when I first played Oblivion, I returned it a week later. Never even made it outside of the Imperial City. Before Oblivion, I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, loved those. Before that, the only RPGs I'd ever played and finished were the Pokemon games. Never finished Chrono Trigger, never finished FF III, never finished FF IV, and so on. The classics were left in the dust. I only picked up Skyrim because a friend I trust who heard my earful of complaints about Oblivion vouched for Skyrim. Man am I happy he was right.

    Post-Skyrim, I still bounced between Battlefield and Gears. It wasn't until I had been here a few years that my tastes refined and I found myself hungry for narrative-driven games, character depth, interesting stories, and player choice. I wanted a game that didn't hold my hand. The internet told me to play the Witcher 2. Unfortunately, I listened. Hated it, thought it was a steaming pile of ass. Haven't touched a Witcher game since. But I still wanted a challenge. That's how I got into the Souls series. Haven't finished one Souls game but I've enjoyed almost every hour I've put into them. The atmosphere and combat attracted me most and made me hunger for more action. 

    Enter Arkham and Mordor. They're exactly what I want in an action game and typically act as my respites from Skyrim. Now, Skyrim is still about 70% of everything I play. I bounce between Skyrim, Fallout, Bloodborne, Batman, and Mordor now, maaayyybe with a little Xcom 2 mixed in every now and then. It wasn't until I played Battlefield 4's campaign a few weeks ago that I realized how much my tastes have changed. Or how far the standards for campaigns have fallen. It was laughable. Frankly, it was insulting! The whole time I was playing it, I was thinking, "I didn't make that decison - you could have put a choice here and here and here and here...". And I had that specific complaint because BF4 advertised their campaign as allowing player choice. There was one. At the end. It tried to be an emotionally heavy choice but it was flat and boring. BF4 is probably a bottom-of-the-barrel example anyway, but it made clear how spoiled I've become on Skyrim and similar player-driven games. 

    I'm really not sure where there's left to go from here. ES6 will be a "better Skyrim" I'm sure, but what innovation can truly be accomplished at this point? I suppose that's one reason I've taken to writing. The events of the world is 100% my choice. But that's neither here nor there. Skyrim ruined me. Nothing has lived up to the expectations that it set and I doubt anything ever will. But I can hope. 

    I think that says a lot as far as Skyrim, and it's why I always say it's the closest to a perfect RPG there is so far. The encouragement to make your own character, the lore, the overall atmosphere is simply amazing. 

    • 122 posts
    April 6, 2017 3:28 PM EDT

    The first game I ever played was the origional Age of Empires, around the time I was six or so. I've never cared much for fancy graphics, and I remember playing it for days, building up my city, hunting some gazelle, and of course, mercilessly crushing the AI with my Legions. I got AoE 3, and the War Chiefs expansion, in 2010, and that pretty much sealed the deal for RTS games for me. I got 2 a bit later, and just last year bought the HD version on Steam (The first and only purchase I'll ever make there, but that's a story for another day). Of course, I bought it (With expansions) just before Rise of the Rajas was announced, so I've yet to get that yet.

    Perhaps the second game I played was GTA: San Andreas, at my uncle's house. I must have been around six or seven, and even with the volume off, I had a lot of fun. And for all you who say Video Games make people violent, guess what? I'm not a drug-addicted, raging maniac who steals cars and blows up helicopters! Infact, I pretty much never swear, even despite playing such "Violent" games at a young age.

    I wasn't really a big gamer until a few years later. For the next coulpe of years, I remember playing a lot of Lego games (Which I still love to this day!), but then when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was realeased, it began my long love of FPS. Unfortunately, the very franchise that started that love, pretty much ended it. I played and liked all CoDs up until Black Ops 2, which wasn't bad, but still not the best. Ghosts helped revive FPS for me, but Advanced Warfare was just too futuristic for my liking. I still play them all, including the older ones, but unless 2017's CoD is set in the past, I don't see myself going back.

    Then along came Skyrim. Now, I didn't play it until a few years after release (It was either early 2012 or 2013, my memory isn't the best), but I instantly fell in love with the game. I played it almost non-stop for weeks, and it shot straight to the top of my favorite games. It was about another year or so (2014) when I got Oblivion. I had played it in the past (Uncle's house again, sometime around 2008), but for some reason lizard-men and elves weren't that interesting to me then. Then I got Morrowind toward the end of 2014, but at the time I couldn't stand the combat or lack of voices, so I didn't play it too much. A few months later, in early 2015, I got the Elder Scrolls Anthology, and thought I'd give Morrowind another shot, and I'm incredibly glad I did.

    Prior to this, I only played TES games on Xbox, because, at least to me, a controller will always be superior to a keyboard. After Anthology, I started playing more on PC, but I especially took a liking to Morrowind after I found out that mods can fix a lot of it's problems. I gave it another go, and after a few weeks of sleepless night from all the gaming, it finally reached the top of my favorite games list. Ater hearing some of the NPCs in Skyrim and Oblivion taking about the province (And in particular the Dragonborn expansion, which I also played prior to Morrowind), I was excited to finally be exploring that strange, alien land of ash. And after getting the hang of how the game works, I've even started playing it without mods, and it's still an incredile experience.

    In and amongst all this, I also started playing Assassin's Creed, and Red Dead Redemption for some time. I got Fallout 3 a bit after Skyrim, mainly because I envisioned it as being a Skyrim-GTA hybrid. I didn't like it very much, as some of you may know, so It's just been sitting on a shelf for the past 2 years. There's also a few other games I've played, such as Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six, and with CoD becoming more and more futuristic, I'll probably expand more into those series'. And of course, I also play all those games that came pre-installed on my laptop. Solitaire, Free Cell, and the like. They help pass the time when I'm bored.

    As of now, the list of my top five eight games is as follows:

    1. - Morrowind

    2. - Skyrim

    3. - A tie between AC: Black Flag, and Red Dead Redemption

    4. - CoD: Ghosts (For some reason, not a lot of people on the Internet would agree, but I like it nonetheless)

    5. - A very close three-way tie between AoE 2, CoD: MW2, and GTA: San Andreas

    So there it is. I started out with a bit of RTS, moved on to some Lego games and whatever the Hell GTA's genre is, then onto FPS, and finally fantasy RPGs. I still play pretty much all of my games today, depending on what mood I'm in. Sometimes I like to crash cars, others I like to kill dragons, all with a bit of war against WWII Germany in between. You know how it is.

    • 375 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:57 PM EDT
    I started on Nintendo 64. Perfect Dark got me into shooters, Super Smash Brothers got me into fighting games, and I also played action games like Gex and a Donald Duck game. We then got the Gamecube, and I think I mostly played Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., and Lego Star Wars. Fast forward to Xbox. Lots of COD in the beginning. Then I gave Skyrim a chance (or hundred). Skyrim was the first RPG I liked (not counting Paper Mario because it is different), and I got hooked on other action RPGs, namely Dark Souls. On PS4, I stuck with the Soulsborne genre and I also gave up on COD after BO3. I then started playing Smite and Paragon (MOBAs), and now what I enjoy playing is a shooter called Paladins and souls-likes.