Forums » Elder Scrolls

Who would you worship?

    • 108 posts
    March 20, 2017 4:46 PM EDT

    The Aedra and Daedra are the most powerful beings of the Elder Scrolls universe. But what if they existed in real life, who would you worship and who would you fear?

    Take your pick, Aedra or Deadra, and chose who would you worship and follow.

    Why would you worship that deity? Leave your answer below.

     

     

     

    • 50 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:33 PM EDT
    Julianos for sure. I respect wisdom and logic.
    • 30 posts
    March 20, 2017 7:21 PM EDT

    I would recognize their power but I wouldn't worship any of them. Since there is the possibility to become a god why not go for it I mean a Hjati Early-Beard became a god (he had quite a bit of help from other factors) so why not me? :D

    • 5 posts
    March 22, 2017 8:05 AM EDT

    Well, Akatosh for sure. Why? The Daedra have power but in the end we're nothing but their playthings to abide to their wish and codes. Akatosh and Kyne for example really cared for their creation's well being, as far i'm concerned they never demanded anything in return. *cough real life religions cough*

     

    In the end, i would stick with the Aedra.


    This post was edited by Boxman Dan at March 22, 2017 8:06 AM EDT
    • 812 posts
    March 22, 2017 8:34 AM EDT

    Hmmm, interesting question. I'll start out by delving outside of the base question (which states Aedra or Daedra)

    I'm rather fond of the idea of the Tribunal, Almalexia, Sotha Sil, Vivec, the Living Gods of Morrowind. (they're a power that I could actually see, and would know exist). For me they'd just be a whole lot more real than the other gods, there is tangible evidence of their existance that anyone could easily see. I mean, it is entirely possible that sitting down to discuss morality and life with Vivec is something that could theoretically happen, while I may not come out of that entirely sane, at least it is something that is possible.

    Though I suppose you could debate the fact that the Tribunal aren't 'real gods'. That and the fact that we're assuming the gods are most certainly real (which destroys most of my logic)...So if it was the original question of just taking into account the Aedra and Daedra I'd have to pick either Julianos (consider myself more scholarly than you know, a warrior or cratsman) or possibly Mara, who seems to be somewhat universal. But then again, Akatosh or Arkay wouldn't be too bad either and I could see myself worshopping them

  • March 22, 2017 10:00 AM EDT

    If I was a worshipper of the Aedra I would worship Magnus and Juilanos, I mean they are pretty much the same person to an extent, and it is because I tend to always play a Mage character and in real life, I am more a scholar than a warrior, or a craftsman like DB said before me. Now I was a Daedra worshipper it would be between Hiricne, since in real life I love camping, hunting, and fishing, and Meridia, because she is a fallen Aedra more or less.

    • 637 posts
    March 22, 2017 10:03 AM EDT

    I love when this question comes up because I feel like depending on what's going on with me, my answer has historically been different like every single time. I think for me right now, I'm still very into Kyne (derp) and Akatosh. Dan pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about it. I think the other Aedra are important too, but for me those two just take the cake. 

    • 243 posts
    March 22, 2017 11:30 AM EDT

    Lol, that topic apparently has been raised since the beginning of this site's existance and likely will be discussed again and again))))

    Many gods are awesome and sometimes I would play a Bosmer who is a strict follower of the Green Pact or a tribal Orc who knows no gods but Malacath, or even try to put myself in the shoes of a co,pletely ruthless worshipper of Boethiah or a morally ambiguous mage who thinks that Apocrypha is the ultimate paradise, but all those are just some times. The one and only true god for me is Auri-El, his is the path of the true light and the one I would walk if I lived on Nirn.


    This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at March 22, 2017 1:43 PM EDT
    • 108 posts
    March 22, 2017 2:19 PM EDT

    Justiciar Thorien said:

    Lol, that topic apparently has been raised since the beginning of this site's existance and likely will be discussed again and again))))

    Many gods are awesome and sometimes I would play a Bosmer who is a strict follower of the Green Pact or a tribal Orc who knows no gods but Malacath, or even try to put myself in the shoes of a co,pletely ruthless worshipper of Boethiah or a morally ambiguous mage who thinks that Apocrypha is the ultimate paradise, but all those are just some times. The one and only true god for me is Auri-El, his is the path of the true light and the one I would walk if I lived on Nirn.

     

    Thorien, my mer! Auri - El's religion should be the only religion in Tamriel. I personally hate everything the Thalmor stand for but no one can deny Auri - El.

     

    • 108 posts
    March 22, 2017 2:21 PM EDT

    Dragonborn1721 said:

    Hmmm, interesting question. I'll start out by delving outside of the base question (which states Aedra or Daedra)

    I'm rather fond of the idea of the Tribunal, Almalexia, Sotha Sil, Vivec, the Living Gods of Morrowind. (they're a power that I could actually see, and would know exist). For me they'd just be a whole lot more real than the other gods, there is tangible evidence of their existance that anyone could easily see. I mean, it is entirely possible that sitting down to discuss morality and life with Vivec is something that could theoretically happen, while I may not come out of that entirely sane, at least it is something that is possible.

    Though I suppose you could debate the fact that the Tribunal aren't 'real gods'. That and the fact that we're assuming the gods are most certainly real (which destroys most of my logic)...So if it was the original question of just taking into account the Aedra and Daedra I'd have to pick either Julianos (consider myself more scholarly than you know, a warrior or cratsman) or possibly Mara, who seems to be somewhat universal. But then again, Akatosh or Arkay wouldn't be too bad either and I could see myself worshopping them

     

    I have to agree with you DB, I'd rather follow a god that I can talk to or see.

    • 243 posts
    March 22, 2017 2:53 PM EDT
    D3LTAFOX said:

    Thorien, my mer! Auri - El's religion should be the only religion in Tamriel. I personally hate everything the Thalmor stand for but no one can deny Auri - El.

     

    I don't quite agree. Auri-El's is the hard path, it's not for everyone, and it's good that a mortal can follow any Aedra whose ways are closer to their mind and heart, as long as they strive for good and not otherwise) And I actually support the Thalmor and think the Altmer should rule Tamriel.
    • 30 posts
    March 22, 2017 4:40 PM EDT

    Justiciar Thorien said:
    D3LTAFOX said:

    Thorien, my mer! Auri - El's religion should be the only religion in Tamriel. I personally hate everything the Thalmor stand for but no one can deny Auri - El.

     

    I don't quite agree. Auri-El's is the hard path, it's not for everyone, and it's good that a mortal can follow any Aedra whose ways are closer to their mind and heart, as long as they strive for good and not otherwise) And I actually support the Thalmor and think the Altmer should rule Tamriel.

    Auri-El might be better than Akatosh indeed if what is said about Akatosh is true that he has those "schizophrenic" elements in his character and that might be one of the reasons Dragon Breaks happen. If I were to chose someone to kinda side with (I 'm not a big fan of them in general :P) I think Auri-EL would be the one to go to.

     

    Altmers from what is mentioned have built a healthy society with the intellectual people having the highest authority positions so maybe they could teach the other races how to maintain a healthy society. Even so not everything was good within their society. Altmers have gone through a lot of hardships and tribulations and they had and still have national identity crisis over the course of the ages (example: Psijics leaving Summerset Isle) especially recently after the Oblivion Crisis with the destruction of Crystal Tower this had a devastating impact on them. That was what mainly helped the Thalmor claim the authority in Summerset Isles. If the Thalmor realy want to bring back their past glories and most of all show the man the superiority of their culture and make them follow it the way they do it is quite opressive to the race of man even if their culture is indeed superior. If what they do is just revenge for what Tiber Septim did to them and because they can't stand the race of man anymore in general, the guy released a weapon of mass destruction in their land, we can't judge them.

    Now if I would like the Thalmor as a group to rule Tamriel? Probably no, I think their ways are wrong to some extent.

    If I would like elven culture to flourish and be an example to be followed from the other races? Yes.

    If I would like Altmer to rule Tamriel? I would prefer a peaceful approach through diplomacy as befits their society and not through war.

    (Also to clear up something I don't think all this talk about the Thalmor destroying the world is true since it is not canon or at least not yet(?) who knows what Bethesda will do in the future but I don't think Thalmor will be put in the position of super vilains that want to destroy the world).


    This post was edited by Duvain at March 22, 2017 4:57 PM EDT
  • March 22, 2017 6:00 PM EDT

    *emerges from underneath her rock*

    Lorkhan

    *slinks back down again*

    • 433 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:05 PM EDT

    Worship? Nah. But I would be totally OK with one or two of them...

    • 243 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:10 PM EDT

    Duvain said:

    Auri-El might be better than Akatosh indeed if what is said about Akatosh is true that he has those "schizophrenic" elements in his character and that might be one of the reasons Dragon Breaks happen. If I were to chose someone to kinda side with (I 'm not a big fan of them in general :P) I think Auri-EL would be the one to go to.

     

    Actually they are not exactly one and the same. Akatosh is the oversoul, an amalgamation, while Auri-El is the god who was a person. He is not just a symbol to his people like Akatosh is to the Imperials but rather someone who showe them an example. His path is a path he walked himself, not only an ascent to Aetherius but also an ascent from bitterness and revenge towards correction and redemption.

    Duvain said:

    Altmers from what is mentioned have built a healthy society with the intellectual people having the highest authority positions so maybe they could teach the other races how to maintain a healthy society. Even so not everything was good within their society. Altmers have gone through a lot of hardships and tribulations and they had and still have national identity crisis over the course of the ages (example: Psijics leaving Summerset Isle) especially recently after the Oblivion Crisis with the destruction of Crystal Tower this had a devastating impact on them. That was what mainly helped the Thalmor claim the authority in Summerset Isles. If the Thalmor realy want to bring back their past glories and most of all show the man the superiority of their culture and make them follow it the way they do it is quite opressive to the race of man even if their culture is indeed superior. If what they do is just revenge for what Tiber Septim did to them and because they can't stand the race of man anymore in general, the guy released a weapon of mass destruction in their land, we can't judge them.

    Now if I would like the Thalmor as a group to rule Tamriel? Probably no, I think their ways are wrong to some extent.

    If I would like elven culture to flourish and be an example to be followed from the other races? Yes.

    If I would like Altmer to rule Tamriel? I would prefer a peaceful approach through diplomacy as befits their society and not through war.

    (Also to clear up something I don't think all this talk about the Thalmor destroying the world is true since it is not canon or at least not yet(?) who knows what Bethesda will do in the future but I don't think Thalmor will be put in the position of super vilains that want to destroy the world).

    Actually the Thalmor have never done anything that the Empire hasn't. It's a conflict of two equal sides and none of them is really a victim. Oh, they arrest poor little Talos worshippers! But hey, Talos worship is a religion that is all about war and human supremacy. And see, they didn't decide to simply kill all men (like our greatest hero Ysgramor did), they only want to stop a worship they see as destructive. Now who is evil here?

    And lol, if in the end Bethesda decides to make turn them into cartoon villains... it would be the most disappointing thing they could do.

    Lissette Long-Chapper said:

    *emerges from underneath her rock*

    Lorkhan

    *slinks back down again*

    This requires some bravery)))


    This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at March 22, 2017 6:10 PM EDT
  • March 22, 2017 6:21 PM EDT

    Justiciar Thorien said:

    Lissette Long-Chapper said:

    *emerges from underneath her rock*

    Lorkhan

    *slinks back down again*

    This requires some bravery)))

    I am nothing if not brave. :D

    • 243 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:23 PM EDT

    Lissette Long-Chapper said:

    I am nothing if not brave. :D

    Indeed))))

    • 30 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:24 PM EDT

    I got to agree with Henson hanging out with Sanguine and have some drinks, undress some people, you know... could be fun :D


    This post was edited by Duvain at March 22, 2017 6:26 PM EDT
    • 108 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:29 PM EDT

    Henson said:

    Worship? Nah. But I would be totally OK with one or two of them...

     

    Probably the best quest in Skyrim.

    • 123 posts
    March 22, 2017 7:40 PM EDT

    My answer to this really depends on which racial religion I'm following. Let's take a look, shall we?

     

    Altmer Faith: Probably Xarxes, seeing as how he's pretty much Hermaeus Mora without the whole eternal damnation and insanity stuff. I'm of the opinion that no knowledge is useless, so this is a natural fit.

     

    Argonian Faith: The Hist. They give us new life after death, which is comforting.

     

    Breton Faith: Julianos, for pretty much identical reasons to the Altmer Xarxes thing.

     

    Bosmer Faith: Xarxes, sure, but also Y'ffre. He saved us from eternal chaos and gave us our forms, which is nice.

     

    Dunmer (Tribunal) Faith: Either Vivec, seeing as how he is a poet god (I love me some writing!), or Sotha Sil.

     

    Dunmer (Reclamations) Faith: Azura. She's a Daedra, sure, but probably amongst the "nicer" ones (as possible as that is for Daedra)

     

    Imperial Faith: Julianos, again.

     

    Khajiit Faith: Perhaps surprisingly, Baan Dar. He's a trickster god, sure, but he embodies creativity, which I applaud. Really though, I like the Khajiiti pantheon as a whole.

     

    Nord Faith: Jhunal, who is basically Julianos to my understanding.

     

    Orc Faith: Trinimac. Though I know little of Orcish faith, I'd say that Trinimac is pretty much Malacath, but less brutal and more "civilized" (though of course there are Malacath Orcs with plenty of culture)

     

    Redguard Faith: Alas, I can't say I know Redguard lore enough to really say.

     

    If I had to pick from *any* Tamrielic religion, I'd probably go with Xarxes (not Julianos/Jhunal). Anyhoo, nice thread!


    This post was edited by Tenebrous at March 22, 2017 7:41 PM EDT
    • 6 posts
    March 22, 2017 8:45 PM EDT
    The 8 Divines seems fine to me, especially Mara. Not worshipping them but I have nothing against them.

    Daedra, I'll stay away from them... Even the nicer ones.

    Magnus is a cool guy as far I know.
    Lorkhan is a douchebag as far as I know.
    Shor is Lorkhan ?

    Auri-El = Akatosh ? I don't know what that means. (I don't really know the lore of TES)
    Alduin = Akatosh ? (same as above)

    The Hist is wtf ?
    Sithis is the void ?
    The Skaal god (forgot his name) is whatever...

    Didn't play Morrowind but Sotha Sil and Almalexia have badass names, I might worship them just for that. (sorry vivec)



    • 108 posts
    March 23, 2017 3:06 AM EDT

    Well, my answer is Auri - El. He's trying to get his people (The Aldmer) to become gods again.

    My other favorite is Azura. Yeah, that's right, a Deadra. I can hear those Vigilants of Stendarr right now.

    • 243 posts
    March 23, 2017 7:14 AM EDT

    D3LTAFOX said:

    Well, my answer is Auri - El. He's trying to get his people (The Aldmer) to become gods again.

    I suspect neither he nor his people would put it exactly like that. More like that he's trying to free his people from a prison that he is partially responsible for creating.


    This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at March 23, 2017 7:15 AM EDT
    • 1207 posts
    March 23, 2017 4:57 PM EDT

    The question of faith in Tamriel is one I waver on depending largely on how contrary I am feeling at the time. As a rule I do tend to border on the Else God-Hater side of the fence, although not quite as extreme:

    "Yes. I hate the gods. All gods. They can all bite my garters. And if you don't like it, YOU can bite my garters, too... Ask me what I think about chapels, praying, the Nine Divines. Go ahead. Ask me. The gods don't do a damn thing. Do they even exist? How could anyone tell? Daedra Lords, sure. They exist. They do things. Bad things, mostly, but things you can see. The gods? They don't do a damn thing. So why do we build big chapels and sit around and mumble, and ask them to save us from this and that? It's stupid. And chapels and priests and folks groveling on their knees, they're stupid, too."

    The gods in TES gave up so much of themselves and are so tied to Mundus that they are as protean and malleable to the cultures that revere them as to be like playdough. As such, they are reflections of the people and sometimes what is reflected is ugly to look at. Not only that, but the idea that these spirits gain power from that which they reflect is very dangerous. Stendarr is a good example of that, and I couldn't hate what he has become more if I tried. The god of mercy and justice is now a god of zealots who can justify the worst sort of persecutions by uttering his name.

    Kyne would be another example of reflecting a culture which holds war, bloodshed and battle in such high esteem that death by combat is the ultimate goal for many so that they can achieve an immortality until the final battle. Their goddess so reflects this belief that she takes the souls of those who die like that and carry them to Sovngarde, by her nature actively encouraging the darkest aspects of humanity.

    Auri-El who was so severe that he turned his back on the Snow Elves when their blood became corrupted.

    In real life could I follow such gods or goddesses? Absolutely not.

    However, these original spirits embody concepts, concepts which when viewed objectively and uncorrupted by a culture's stories are worth respecting.Love, mercy, justice, and knowledge are things which should be pure.

    So from that perspective, I am more inclined to follow those mortals who have been inspired by these emotions and have done genuinely good and praiseworthy things. Alessia, the Tribunal Saints, and Saint Pelin were mortals whose faith in the uncorrupted concepts of divinity inspired the to do true and noble good. The exceptions and hypocrisy to the above are the divine feminine which has always drawn me. Dibella, Kynareth (specifically) and Mara, along with Almalexia, make up something I would happily venerate.


    This post was edited by Paws at March 23, 2017 5:59 PM EDT
    • 5 posts
    March 23, 2017 5:03 PM EDT

    Kyne is just awesome, i like how her worshippers talk about her in a way which only shows absolute respect, not a single drop of fear. That is mainly what i would look for in a  god.