Forums » General Gaming

Is No Man's Sky...fixed?

• 248 posts
    March 8, 2017 1:18 PM EST

I was super all-in on No Man's Sky. I pre-ordered it and played it non-stop....for about 20 hours. Then I put it away and forgot about it. 

It had problems...lots of them that I won't re-hash. Most people who cared anything about it know the harrowing story of un-fullfilled hype. 

But...a few months ago Hello Games released the Foundation update (free) which added three game play options, base building, and the ability to store inventory on a planet or out in space as a barge. Pretty cool. I checked it out and enjoyed the improvements...but still it felt not quite there. Back to FO4 CB I went. 

Today, Hello Games have announced their Pathfinder Update. The main highlights include planetary vehicles (exocraft), new play difficulties including Permadeath mode, PS4 Pro support, Multi-tool and ship specializations, Photo Mode, traders and Steam Workshop support helping connect explorers. 

The thing I really wanted in NMS was the ability to feel like I could create an immersive character capable of deep Role Play. Basically, I wanted to load up NMS and zone out into space. 

With these updates, we've gotten closer to that goal. The ship and weapon specialization options along side planetary exploration vehicles and robust base building will make it feel like you can really explore, trade, survive and fight in your own universe. It looks like being able to connect to others in the world across platforms I think needs some more support, but I'm encouraged. 

What do you think? Time to give No Man's Sky another chance?

This post was edited by Mottyskills at March 8, 2017 1:20 PM EST
    • 215 posts
    March 8, 2017 1:51 PM EST

My only question is...is it still mine, mine, mine; build and repeat?  If so, I'm still out.

• 248 posts
    March 8, 2017 2:04 PM EST

John LeBlanc said:

My only question is...is it still mine, mine, mine; build and repeat?  If so, I'm still out.

hmm yeah I think that's kind of why I didn't really dive back in after the Foundation update. The lack of any real objective can be off-putting. I do think that a possbile solution for that would be a permadeath run to the center (trophy chasing style). That way you have a clear objective / mission / task and reason to take care. As opposed to jsut ahving to mine and build in circle. 

My guess is there's probably other things that still need to happen to make it more that that. 

• 152 posts
    March 8, 2017 4:29 PM EST

I read an article somewhere that did an excellent job of opening my eyes to what No Man's Sky really is as a game and how to enjoy it as such; basically you can't look at it as an epic adventure of dynamic characters and thrilling combat or even deep lore, but rather as a game that lets you sit down and just kind of relax as you drift off and enjoy being in another world with no real objective to be fulfilled. For most players, this is a let down because it's a very rare taste to be had, but once I accepted it as that and just sat down to do some casual play for an hour then I found myself really enjoying it more. For me these updates still don't exactly change the game to what a lot of players want it to be, but as you stated it is still a step in the right direction. I'll never call NMS an "amazing" game, but to say it's a bad game just means you're not looking at it the right way yet. Did Hello Games screw over a lot of people? Yeah probably. But that doesn't mean their whole game should be trashed just because it's an unique and practically brand new form of game. I'll give this new update a try and see if my opinions are changed. Sorry for the rambling :P

• 1467 posts
    March 8, 2017 4:32 PM EST

A lot of what you guys described (not liking the mine, mine, mine; build and repeat process) seems to be the main point of the game. When they were creating I always thought the selling point they tried to work with is that you didn't have a goal, that you had to set your own goals when exploring the world which I think was the enitre premise of the game. 

Not my type of game, I never bought it (Called early on that it would be a disappointment) but I don't think it's ever going to be more than Minecraft in Space...with 2 less objectives.

• 122 posts
    March 9, 2017 4:46 AM EST
    I was into the idea of it being a multiplayer game, which it never was. Once I learned that, I lost interest. Would've been nice to build an entire settlement with friends.
    • 248 posts
    March 12, 2017 10:30 AM EDT

MADD- I think YOU ARE RIGHT! Competely agree. I didn't know what the game was going to be when I bought it. It sounded and looked cool. I legitimately got goosebumps playing it the first time. Being able to hop in a ship and go anywhere and explore...it's awesome. The music is underrated (and has been improved with the recent update). A good set of headphones and I can zone out and fly into the infinite. 

Now, was the original game one that I could play long term? No. Is it now? IDK...hoping it may get there. But I'm still finishing a bunch of FO4 stuff :) Which is funny bc people think FO4 isn't very good. lol Guess I have poor standards - or maybe, just maybe we can all like what we like and not sh!t on stuff we don't. 

MERC - I still wonder if they are setting the stage for more multiplayer gameplay. Don't know, but with the update, it sort of hints at some future options. And I agree, linking up with others would be cool (although not why I got the game).

• 152 posts
    March 12, 2017 11:39 AM EDT

Mottyskills said:

MADD- I think YOU ARE RIGHT! Competely agree. I didn't know what the game was going to be when I bought it. It sounded and looked cool. I legitimately got goosebumps playing it the first time. Being able to hop in a ship and go anywhere and explore...it's awesome. The music is underrated (and has been improved with the recent update). A good set of headphones and I can zone out and fly into the infinite. 

Now, was the original game one that I could play long term? No. Is it now? IDK...hoping it may get there. But I'm still finishing a bunch of FO4 stuff :) Which is funny bc people think FO4 isn't very good. lol Guess I have poor standards - or maybe, just maybe we can all like what we like and not sh!t on stuff we don't. 

Well Motty, if people think FO4 is a poor choice of gaming, then I am proud to be crazy enough to enjoy it XD Btw I 1000000% agree that the music is pretty fantastic. Matches the innate beauty and wonder of the game

• 152 posts
    March 12, 2017 11:39 AM EDT

Sidenote: Music is extremely important for me when it comes to a video game :p

This post was edited by MaddMannatee at March 12, 2017 11:41 AM EDT
    • 248 posts
    March 13, 2017 10:55 AM EDT

Soooo - I fired it up yesterday. First I played a Survival Mode level start. It was quite exciting to be almost dead trying to repair my suit and ship. That took about an hour and I decided to blast off to the space station....but I was immediately scanned by pirate ships and blown out the galaxy. The problem is when this happens they reload you onto the space station, minus your cargo. So all of the stuff I was going to sell to finish repairs on my ship went bye-bye...I lost interest, not wanting to start over. 

But, I reloaded my original save and started messing around with base building, recruiting aliens to help build more stuff. Figured out how to teleport from the space station to my base...etc. 

The main issue I see now is, in order to build new things like the exocraft and other blueprints, you have to find fairly rare items...unless you play the new "no-cost crafting" mode. I'm torn...I want to earn the ability to build the new stuff, but who knows how long it will take just to get an exocraft going? 

I will say there is A LOT more to do now in NMS...now I have to see if I want to do it :)

This post was edited by Mottyskills at March 13, 2017 10:55 AM EDT