Forums » Introduce Yourself

Hiya All!

• 8 posts
    January 19, 2017 7:40 AM EST

I just found this site while looking for getting started in Skyrim info.  Just got a new PS4 for Christmas and have the special edition Skyrim ordered from Amazon.  I'm fairly new to console gaming but am a 17+ year PC vet, so at least I'll have some idea what's going on.

Anyway, I'm checking out all the great info you guys have posted and hopefully at some point I'll be able to add as well.

Cheers!

N

• 1595 posts
    January 19, 2017 12:52 PM EST

Hi Nirriti, I am glad you found the site. A first time Skyrim player.... How much I would give to experience it all again for the first time?! :D You are definitely in the right place for Skyrim info. Don't be shy, get stuck in and add your screesnhots, stories, builds and everything else. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Have you given any thought as to what type of character you'll play when you boot up? Welcome!

This post was edited by Paws at January 19, 2017 3:30 PM EST
    • 8 posts
    January 19, 2017 5:53 PM EST

Phil said:

Have you given any thought as to what type of character you'll play when you boot up? Welcome!

Hiya Phil!  Thanks for the nice welcome.  I'm not sure yet what I want to do.  Usually when I start a new game, I go for some type of melee.  Then once I get the hang of things I create a ranged whatever.  I have a heavy MMO background and played WoW since it launched.  My favorite class is a hunter, but I didn't figure that one out for several years.  So I think I'll just try everything out to start.  Amazon has "promised" delivery tomorrow (Friday).  I can't wait to jump in.

• 1595 posts
    January 19, 2017 9:34 PM EST

That seems like a good place to start, can't go wrong with melee and archery. Hunter/ranger archetypes are always fun and the setting really lends itself to that style. Some of my favourite builds here embrace that theme in a big way.

So you're into your MMOs, have you played ESO at all, or will Skyrim be your first entry into TES?

Promised delivery tomorrow is great news! I can't wait to hear your thoughts and get to know your character and his/her adventures. Please do share them :)

• 8 posts
    January 20, 2017 10:00 AM EST

I did give ESO a try over the weekend.  It was ok.  I liked the different ways you could build you template.  I really like skill based games better than the ones with straight levels.  And I sunk most of Sunday into running around and getting a feel for the controls and whatnot.  It would certainly be something to keep in a rotation of games.  

That said, it feels a lot like most of the other MMOs currently available and that's something I'm looking to get away from.  I did plenty of wandering off the beaten path, but it still felt like I was on a set course.  So I thought giving the REAL game a try would be worth the money.  My issue with MMOs today is that sameness under the pretty.  I'm not in to pvp so the current crop of sandboxes don't interest me which is too bad because there are several that look really good, except for the pvp factor.

Anyway, I'll certainly let you know how I do once I get things up and running on my PS4!

Cheers!

• 585 posts
    January 20, 2017 11:11 AM EST

Welcome, Nirriti!

If you're new to Skyrim, Skyrim Character Building should definitely be your first stop. There are so many amazing builds here (which you can sift through via the Archive) that you'll never be struggling for a build to play. Roleplay and Lore are great for building up your character more, and Tips and Tricks helps with giving your character that little extra bit to make it awesome.

• 694 posts
    January 21, 2017 8:07 PM EST

Welcome to the community, Nirriti! Glad to have you with us. I think we all might envy you a little actually. To play Skyrim again for the first time? Ah, there's nothing like it. Definitely lean into it. Join all the guilds, kill all the dragons, do all the crafting. It's great stuff. :)  If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

• 8 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:15 AM EST

Hiya Edana.  Thanks for the welcome.  I spent the whole weekend playing, lol.  I did some shopping and laundry but thats' about it for real life.  Good thing I have two controllers so one is always charged.

Anyway, I made a Nord who favors 1h Axe and Shield.  My biggest problem with him is that somehow he wound up with eyeliner!  But a strategically worn helm solves that issue.  I'm getting the hang of headshots with my trusty bow and its great fun to see the other enemies go "Huh?  Wut happened to Fred here?"

Question that might be a spoiler.  I didn't do the Dawnguard quest right way.  Did some other tasts for gold to buy my house and whatnot.  Then one evening, went out and found dead bodies everywhere and vampires attacking.  Would this have been a result of me not going off to join the Dawnguard?  Or is it a regular part of the game?  They killed one of my people I needed to complete a quest!  Grrr!  

I'm loving this site.  So much good info but hard to filter out so I don't wind up with a bunch of spoilers.

• 694 posts
    January 23, 2017 8:36 PM EST

Nirriti said:

Anyway, I made a Nord who favors 1h Axe and Shield.  My biggest problem with him is that somehow he wound up with eyeliner!  But a strategically worn helm solves that issue.  I'm getting the hang of headshots with my trusty bow and its great fun to see the other enemies go "Huh?  Wut happened to Fred here?"

Question that might be a spoiler.  I didn't do the Dawnguard quest right way.  Did some other tasts for gold to buy my house and whatnot.  Then one evening, went out and found dead bodies everywhere and vampires attacking.  Would this have been a result of me not going off to join the Dawnguard?  Or is it a regular part of the game?  They killed one of my people I needed to complete a quest!  Grrr!  

I'm loving this site.  So much good info but hard to filter out so I don't wind up with a bunch of spoilers.

Axe and shield, very nice. So 1H, block, sounds like some archery... what other skills are you using, if you don't mind my asking? 

OK so to answer your question without spoilers... it's ok that you didn't do the Dawnguard quest line as soon as Durak showed up, but yes after level 9 or 10 vampire attacks in town at night can occur as random encounters. If you want to keep the villagers safe, you should be ready to defend and help them when you can. If you're fast traveling and you arrive at night, it can definitely throw you off guard to just see them attacking out of nowhere, so just keep an eye out in case. :)

Now... if you're playing without mods you can load a previous save from before that attack happened and the NPC died, and you can complete the quest that way. Or, if you're playing Special Edition with mods on console, and you haven't played much farther since that happened, I can recommend a mod that will resurrect NPCs, but you have to be able to locate the body.

As far as the eyeliner is concerned, if you're ever in Riften look up the face sculptor. She can fix that for you... for a price. ;)

I hope we don't spoil too much for you. :) Some of us have played so many times we forget that some members are new to the game. I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying it. It's like... our favorite thing here. xD

• 8 posts
    January 24, 2017 7:22 AM EST

Good to know about the face sculptor.  I was hoping there would be some way to change your character's look.  I haven't been to Riften yet, but will look into it when I finally get there.

I picked 1h axe because I saw it can do bleed damage once you get enough points for that ability.  Any little bit helps with the dps.  I have been using the frost spider poison that drops when I'm up against something particularly difficult.

My lock picking sucks, lol.  But I always try each door or chest I come across because sometimes I get lucky.  And I sneak everywhere which I think is helping, not with lockpicking, but just to get around things I may not want to fight just then.  I can get close enough to the elk and deer to take effective shots with my bow.

I joined the Companions and became a werewolf right off but keep forgetting I have that ability, heehe.  I wonder what those folks in the Dawnguard are gonna think about that as we go along?  I met some chicky on the road who was totally anti supernatural beings.  Must remember to not wolf out in front of any of them.

My other skills are kind of in limbo.  I improve whatever new piece of gear I get but haven't really done much else with the crafting.  I adopted a daughter who I found out wandering around during a vampire attack!  What the heck are kids thinking these days?  And Lydia has taken up residence in my bedroom even though she has her own!  I thought I made it clear that I just wasn't interested!  But some people just don't take subtle hints.

I have to confess that I did murder Maurice Jondrelle.  He was annoying, going on about not hurting the tree and generally just getting in my way and not being very stealthy when sneaking.  So, he had to go.  Ahh the freedom to do as you please in a virtual world.