Forums » The Lounge

Does anyone still buy music?

• 700 posts
    December 27, 2016 4:03 PM EST

What was the last piece of music you bought and in what format?  

And if you don't buy, why not? 

I'll go first: 

I really like CDs. Most of my music buying anymore has to do with replacing all of my old, terrible mp3s but I still stay on top of buying new stuff I like. That lovely lossless audio...so good. 

• 71 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:46 PM EST

I'm pretty much the only one of my friends who still regularly purchases music, and it's almost always a CD or vinyl, for me. I have an old car, and happen to love music, so CDs are a must. I have two wicker baskets on the backseat stuffed full of them, ahaha. The last one I bought was a best of Leonard Cohen collection, but I got some Tragically Hip and STP for Christmas, which was nice.  

• 700 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:56 PM EST

:D Yaaay, I'm not alone! Good shit getting music for Christmas though, that's a great present. And you've given me the gift of new music to check out, so thanks for that! Any recommendations for albums of Tragically Hip and STP? 

• 215 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:12 PM EST

God, I used to love going to the record store and thumbing through the music bins checking out album art and seeing the new releases.

I still buy when I find something that gets my attention but sadly I am not enthralled with the new generation of music and my generation is slowly dying off.  I've converted over to iTunes, mainly for convenience.  iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch for the car.  I am looking for some vinyl to complete my album collection and need to get a UBS turntable to burn a bunch of old albums that I never got on CD or iTunes.  Definitely much more convenient to have 8000 songs in one place but not as much fun and having a bookshelf full of albums and discs.

Oh, last one bought was KIX: Can't Stop the Show, a live CD and DVD combo and also before that their latest album, Rock Your Face Off.  Before that, Halestorm's It's a Wild Life.

This post was edited by Ragin Cajun at December 27, 2016 7:14 PM EST
    • 215 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:17 PM EST

Legion said:

:D Yaaay, I'm not alone! Good shit getting music for Christmas though, that's a great present. And you've given me the gift of new music to check out, so thanks for that! Any recommendations for albums of Tragically Hip and STP? 

Had a co-worker that loved Tragically Hip.  He recommended their album (1993) called Fully Completely.  I have it, but never got into it.  Maybe Core and Purple for STP. 

• 700 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:51 PM EST

John LeBlanc said:

God, I used to love going to the record store and thumbing through the music bins checking out album art and seeing the new releases.

I still buy when I find something that gets my attention but sadly I am not enthralled with the new generation of music and my generation is slowly dying off.  I've converted over to iTunes, mainly for convenience.  iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch for the car.  I am looking for some vinyl to complete my album collection and need to get a UBS turntable to burn a bunch of old albums that I never got on CD or iTunes.  Definitely much more convenient to have 8000 songs in one place but not as much fun and having a bookshelf full of albums and discs.

Oh, last one bought was KIX: Can't Stop the Show, a live CD and DVD combo and also before that their latest album, Rock Your Face Off.  Before that, Halestorm's It's a Wild Life.

USB turntables are a thing?? Damn. Agree about the convenience versus fun thing. I like the fun. Building a collection, hunting albums, lyric and art books, all that good shit. I'll be looking all this up, by the way! Lookin out for new stuff. 

John LeBlanc said:

Had a co-worker that loved Tragically Hip.  He recommended their album (1993) called Fully Completely.  I have it, but never got into it.  Maybe Core and Purple for STP. 

And thank you for this

This post was edited by Legion at December 27, 2016 7:53 PM EST
    • 585 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:11 PM EST

If iTunes counts, sure, I buy music all the time. Only ever a song here or there, rarely full albums, but it's still pretty regular.

Unfortunately for me, I'm at least one generation below vinyl, which is annoying becuase from what I heard it really does sound much better, but no player = no music for me. And most people my age pirate music anyway (bloody teenagers :P), so I'm a bit alone in my honest purchasing of music.

• 133 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:34 PM EST

I don't think I've ever bought a CD in my life, but because for a long time I didn't have cable internet, I did used to buy a ton of stuff off iTunes so I wouldn't have to stream it (by ton of stuff I just mean everything that The Black Keys ever put out @Edana). Nowadays though I love getting new records. Nothing like putting one on for the first time and hearing the little bit of scratchiness behind the music. 

• 700 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:54 PM EST

Zonnonn said:

If iTunes counts, sure, I buy music all the time. Only ever a song here or there, rarely full albums, but it's still pretty regular.

Unfortunately for me, I'm at least one generation below vinyl, which is annoying becuase from what I heard it really does sound much better, but no player = no music for me. And most people my age pirate music anyway (bloody teenagers :P), so I'm a bit alone in my honest purchasing of music.

Itunes counts! I've heard similar things about vinyl. I've also heard that it adds a desireable "texture" to music. A texture that adds to the experience, especially with the kind of music we hear in Fallout (hence the vinyl soundtrack available for purchase). I used to pirate all of my music but I've been filling out my library with the CDs of all the music I've downloaded over the years. I'd recommend CDs for you if you're looking for quality, but it's hard to recommend if you're not buying full albums. I know some sites offer lossless formats. Bandcamp I think? 

• 700 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:55 PM EST

ProbsCoolerThanYou said:

I don't think I've ever bought a CD in my life, but because for a long time I didn't have cable internet, I did used to buy a ton of stuff off iTunes so I wouldn't have to stream it (by ton of stuff I just mean everything that The Black Keys ever put out @Edana). Nowadays though I love getting new records. Nothing like putting one on for the first time and hearing the little bit of scratchiness behind the music. 

Scratchiness! I think that's the vinyl texture I was trying to think of. What was the last record you bought? 

• 133 posts
    December 28, 2016 1:53 PM EST

Legion said:

ProbsCoolerThanYou said:

Scratchiness! I think that's the vinyl texture I was trying to think of. What was the last record you bought? 

Haven't bought many myself except for a BB King album a month or so ago, but I got Saturday Night Fever among others for Christmas.

• 312 posts
    January 2, 2017 1:44 PM EST

I bought the Valkyria Chronicles II and Valkyria Chronicles 3 soundtracks on iTunes (I hate iTunes, so that shows how much I wanted to support the game) last year. I also bought all of Suara's music on Amazon.

• 743 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:14 PM EST

I pirate everything pretty much. I really don't see the need to give money to bands that I like that aren't hurting for cash, lol. Especially considering it's just as convenient to go to a pirate site as it is on the Play Store. That's not even mentioning Spotify. One day, though, I might purchase a record player. I need to own some kickass vinyl 

• 312 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:16 PM EST

RogueSilver said:

I pirate everything pretty much. I really don't see the need to give money to bands that I like that aren't hurting for cash, lol. Especially considering it's just as convenient to go to a pirate site as it is on the Play Store. That's not even mentioning Spotify. One day, though, I might purchase a record player. I need to own some kickass vinyl 

You're fortunate that most bands make their money touring nowadays.

• 743 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:18 PM EST

WuYiXiang said:

RogueSilver said:

You're fortunate that most bands make their money touring nowadays.

Tell that to Led Zeppelin :p

• 700 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:24 PM EST

WuYiXiang said:

I bought the Valkyria Chronicles II and Valkyria Chronicles 3 soundtracks on iTunes (I hate iTunes, so that shows how much I wanted to support the game) last year. I also bought all of Suara's music on Amazon.

Nice, I always approve of soundtrack purchases. So many games have so many excellent scores. 

RogueSilver said:

I get it, I used to be the same way. A lot of the bands I listen to don't actually make all that much so I do like supporting them. And even if an artist I listen to does make a lot, well, same deal. It's a small price to pay for what amounts to 100+ listening hours of just one album. 

• 558 posts
    April 20, 2017 6:36 PM EDT
    I listen to most of my music on youtube (people upload full albums of innumerable bands), but if I hear an album that really catches my ear, I go to Amazon and buy a physical CD of it. The last purchase from Amazon was two CDs from the Norwegian experimental band Arcturus (English lyrics). The two albums that I got are space themed metal. The reason I got the albums is because they are really unique and my favorite drummer is on both and all of Arcturus's releases.
    • 700 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:15 PM EDT

Gollum said: I listen to most of my music on youtube (people upload full albums of innumerable bands), but if I hear an album that really catches my ear, I go to Amazon and buy a physical CD of it. The last purchase from Amazon was two CDs from the Norwegian experimental band Arcturus (English lyrics). The two albums that I got are space themed metal. The reason I got the albums is because they are really unique and my favorite drummer is on both and all of Arcturus's releases.

This is pretty much what I do too. I tend to choose youtube over spotify because of the playlists without commercials, then buy the CD from Amazon or the record store if it's a big enough release. Sometimes I gotta buy off of bandcamp though because the band isn't yet funded enough to make CDs. That's cool though! I never got into Arcturus but, shit, metal's metal. I just checked out their wiki. It's good that their drummer has stayed through it all since you like him so much. I know the most jarring lineup changes in a band for me are always either the drummer, or god forbid, the vocalist.