Forums » Elder Scrolls

Do you think Oblivion or Morrowind will ever be remastered?

• 21 posts
    September 23, 2016 3:47 PM EDT

Hello all! This will be my first of many topics on the new site. I would like to hear your thoughts on TES III (Morrowind) and TES IV (Oblivion) possibly being remastered for the next-gen consoles. After the news of Skyrim coming back, the ES community is buzzing with the possibility of more previous installments being brought back. I am one of those people, and having never played Morrowind I would gladly pay top dollar to see it brought back for the PS4 or the XBox One. Bethesda has announced that they have a few big projects lined up before the release of TES VI (???) in the next couple of years. What do you think they could be? Could we possibly see the return of these much-loved installments? Please leave some comments/replies down below on what you think will happen! 

*Also, please let me know if this has been already posted - Thanks!*

• 140 posts
    September 23, 2016 4:29 PM EDT

A copy of my reply on the Gateway:

I think it has already been said by one of the developers (Through I could be completely wrong) that neither Morrowind nor Oblivion wil get re-mastered, as it'll basically entail re-creating everything from scratch. That being said, I would absolutedly love to see a next-generation version of Morrowind, though at the same time, it probably won't have the same "style" as the origional, which is something I've grown rather fond of.

Now Arena and Daggerfall I could really see benefitting from a re-master, especially the former. Perhaps an Arena Special Edition for it's 25th anniversary (2019)? Eh, I doubt it, but it would really be nice.

• 21 posts
    September 23, 2016 5:29 PM EDT

Caesar said:

A copy of my reply on the Gateway:

I think it has already been said by one of the developers (Through I could be completely wrong) that neither Morrowind nor Oblivion wil get re-mastered, as it'll basically entail re-creating everything from scratch. That being said, I would absolutedly love to see a next-generation version of Morrowind, though at the same time, it probably won't have the same "style" as the origional, which is something I've grown rather fond of.

Now Arena and Daggerfall I could really see benefitting from a re-master, especially the former. Perhaps an Arena Special Edition for it's 25th anniversary (2019)? Eh, I doubt it, but it would really be nice.

I actually played Arena and Daggerfall but I couldn't get into them. I do agree that it would be difficult to bring these older games back but hey, you never know!

• 641 posts
    September 23, 2016 5:47 PM EDT

Skywind is the best we are going to get and I don't know about you but I am pretty excited about it.

• 21 posts
    September 23, 2016 10:28 PM EDT

Veloth the Vampire-Hunter said:

Skywind is the best we are going to get and I don't know about you but I am pretty excited about it.

I wish I could get it on console...

• 224 posts
    September 26, 2016 12:24 AM EDT

Well, would be nice. It seems there are Skyblivion and Morroblivion still being developed, I dont really know If someday those will be released, here is the project site of both projects: https://tesrenewal.com/ . But what I can told you you can see now days If you have the game, is The Elder Scrolls Online, there you got the whole Tamriel, despite is in other time, too many times before Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim events happens even Redguard and Battlespire, here is the timeline accordinly the games:

Image result for elder scrolls timeline games

Taking that in consideration, I played Elder Scrolls online, love the game, specially because adds something all other Elder scrolls miss what is the social online interaction with other players, also because the developers of the game took in consideration the fans and respect them and the game lore it self. Even so distant in time, you can see all the cities and towns sometiems are a bit different and others have all about Skyrim for example to say something, to mention other place Cyrodiil, there is devastating by Deadras and is really cool, but all the buildings are still there, evem the towns like Chorrol, Bruma, etc. Elder Scrolls online is a remastered version of Elder Scrolls but a different game what take place in a distant time what have a lot of lore friendly aspects. I think is really cool because you can travel and pass from Daggerfall, Cyrodiil, Skyrim and Morrowind and other places

• September 30, 2016 4:51 AM EDT

Oh how I would love to see it, the main storyline for Morrowind was beautiful, and to see it brought back for next Generation Consoles would fill me with happy bits, sadly its never going to be an option, cost, cost, cost, astronomical would be the estimates I understand, pity well back to dreaming about something else..................

• 490 posts
    September 30, 2016 7:52 AM EDT
    I did see a post on reddit (comment I think) where it was suggested that for whatever the next "gap" is within the series, preferably between 6 and 7, to have all the previous games somewhat updated and released as a modern anthology. My eyes exploded from reading that and brain exploded from thinking that.
    This post was edited by Henson at September 30, 2016 7:52 AM EDT
  • September 30, 2016 8:49 AM EDT
    Henson we can but dream
    • 21 posts
    October 1, 2016 9:34 AM EDT

Henson said: I did see a post on reddit (comment I think) where it was suggested that for whatever the next "gap" is within the series, preferably between 6 and 7, to have all the previous games somewhat updated and released as a modern anthology. My eyes exploded from reading that and brain exploded from thinking that.

I think the World as we know it would implode lol

• 21 posts
    October 1, 2016 9:36 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Oh how I would love to see it, the main storyline for Morrowind was beautiful, and to see it brought back for next Generation Consoles would fill me with happy bits, sadly its never going to be an option, cost, cost, cost, astronomical would be the estimates I understand, pity well back to dreaming about something else..................

Well with today's technology (not to mention the tech of the future) you never know!

• 224 posts
    November 5, 2016 11:02 AM EDT

Good question, that  would be really cool, there is soemthing similar as a remastered version and is named Morrowblivion, is really cool you should try it

• 312 posts
    November 6, 2016 6:19 AM EST

I don't think they'll be remastered. They're a bit too old for that, in my opinion. Whether or not they'll be remade, however, is a different question.

• 224 posts
    January 10, 2017 4:37 PM EST

In some way are already remastered by my overhauls, for Morrowind is one big overhaul what takes the game to now days graphics, its named Morrowind Graphic Extender: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/

For Oblivion there is Oblivion graphic extender: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/30054/?

If you also add more mods and other overhaul mods along with those mods. Its definitely a remastered version of those games.

Also exists:

- Morroblivion a really functional overhaul mod

- And Skyblivion is under development

I think the most important feature of a remastered version of a game is the new script engine writen in x64, that opens a huge world of possibilities, but I really dont think that would happen with Morrowind or Oblivion, for do that must be writen the whole script engine and the whole game using this x64 engine

Skyrim SE is a totally remastered version, is written using x64 engine, despite what people say about this version of Skyrim, just the fact of the game is made using x64 engine, immediatelly the majority of issuesa related to crashes are fixed and opens a new world of possibilities to develop and create new kind of mods, more complex and with the double capacity of features

• 2 posts
    January 12, 2017 11:47 AM EST

I believe one of the developers at Bethesda said: 'why look in the past when we can make so many new wonderful things' or something like that. So no, remakes will not be done by Bethesda. Modders probably will