Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim Remastered: What's Bethesda's Game?

• 743 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:04 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

Difficult to say, the Remastered editions launch certainly has been quiet even by Bethesdas standards, just a small couple of lines, "you all asked for it and so yes we have ben working hard" que Skyrim theme, weird, just weird, what worries me is what was said about ES6, that being the technology does not yet exist for us to make the game as we see it, so yes as far as I am concerned, and as much as I am looking forward to it, Skyrim Remastered is a big FU to us that were expecting ES6, yes consoles will be abl to use Mods for the new version, but I think they sold us short.

You bring up very good points, Bonelord. Sadly I wish that wasn't the case, but I do think it is indeed an insult to all of us.

• 743 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:05 PM EDT

Karver said:

You´re finally getting it. Screw consoles, buy PC. Now we just have to persuade Phil the Arsehole to do the same. :D

Did you already forget about Xbox?

#Xboxmasterrace

• 743 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:06 PM EDT

Paul said: Well, the lack of PS4 mods has killed Skyrim Remastered for me. There's simply no point paying money to get a game that I've already played for years on PS3

Time to join the superior race, Paul. Xbone ftw.

• 743 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:09 PM EDT

After reading all of these well written comments, it makes reask the scary question, is Bethesda EVER going to make TES6? It would make insane amounts of money, so why the hell are they being so meek?

• 50 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:15 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

After reading all of these well written comments, it makes reask the scary question, is Bethesda EVER going to make TES6? It would make insane amounts of money, so why the hell are they being so meek?

They said they wanted to wait till the technology is available to do it justice plus they wanted to release a couple more games based on other franchises first rather than a vending machine i.e press the elder scrolls button, press fallout, rinse, repeat. Add development time as well I'm guessing 2021 / 2022 by the time we see it.

As for Bonelord's earlier question about high end PC's I have an i7-4790K, 16Gb RAM, GTX970 and SSD storage. I expect it to last me 10 years with a graphics card upgrade or two during that time. The i7-4790K is a bit of an overkill for today's games. True an i5-4690 would have been more suitable but it was only around £40 more for the i7 so it made sense to get the fastest CPU at the time. That system cost me £1199 - I still have my Pentium 4 system as well that cost me over £2000 many years ago. That has been relegated to games for the kids to tit about on now.

This post was edited by Teekus at September 10, 2016 4:23 PM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:41 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

I bow to your superior knowledge Chris, its a real pity though not just for Playstation owners, us Vault dwellers will miss out too, builds, chatter, and most other extras that full Modded Game play offers, perhaps there will be a re-think by Sony in the future

That´s what Ie heard though. Hopefully they reconsider, or else Microsoft will take all the revenue. Makes me want to get a XBONE even more now. But first, a 3DS, giving money to a better Japanese company

• 1467 posts
    September 10, 2016 4:49 PM EDT

Heh, upgrading to a gaming laptop just to play Skyrim (oh alright, I'd probably buy The Witcher 3 as well) just isn't a viable option for me, and the XBone (when I last used it) was a flaming piece of shit (by this I mean, it was buggy to the extreme, wouldn't play new games and was just inferior to the 360, PS3 and the PS4), so I'd much rather just play Remastered without the mods. 

What I think everyone has to remember about mods, is that we wouldn't really be getting the cream of the crop so to say. Oh that isn't to say we won't be getting any good mods, but we won't get some of the best mods that PC has to offer, and as I mentioned on one of these threads, there were a number of issues with how mods were ported to Xbone (were these fixed? Things like anyone being able to submit a mod as there's). It wasn't the best system, or the best mods (I mean, to be fair I think you'd get a fair few Quest mods, but you wouldn't get any of the really heavy fun mods that require SKSE). So I suppose what I'm saying is that a Modded Skyrim was probably third on my list for why Remastered was going to be a good purchase, I still get a game that look much nicer, and Skyrim was getting a bit dated on Console, compared to things like Witcher 3 and even Fallout 4 it just doesn't come close if you really take your time (well the colour tone arguably beats F4's). I get the ability to share my content more easily, either with screenshots (which might not be PC quality, but they'd be damn good), streaming it on Twitch or easily recording video (because on my superior PS4, I don't need to pay for those features :P) and to me those are better than any mod.

But hey, that could just be me and my strangeness, I mean mods are kind of cool (though, honestly when I play modded Skyrim, I spend more time setting up my mods and downloading them than I do playing the game), but they aren't what makes Skyrim Remastered better. Sony's shown me that it's surperior to the XBONE time and time again, so I certainly won't be ditching it (plus I don't have the money...that's an insane cost). 

• 1441 posts
    September 10, 2016 5:00 PM EDT

The Mighty Deeb said:

Heh, upgrading to a gaming laptop just to play Skyrim (oh alright, I'd probably buy The Witcher 3 as well) just isn't a viable option for me, and the XBone (when I last used it) was a flaming piece of shit (by this I mean, it was buggy to the extreme, wouldn't play new games and was just inferior to the 360, PS3 and the PS4), so I'd much rather just play Remastered without the mods. 

What I think everyone has to remember about mods, is that we wouldn't really be getting the cream of the crop so to say. Oh that isn't to say we won't be getting any good mods, but we won't get some of the best mods that PC has to offer, and as I mentioned on one of these threads, there were a number of issues with how mods were ported to Xbone (were these fixed? Things like anyone being able to submit a mod as there's). It wasn't the best system, or the best mods (I mean, to be fair I think you'd get a fair few Quest mods, but you wouldn't get any of the really heavy fun mods that require SKSE). So I suppose what I'm saying is that a Modded Skyrim was probably third on my list for why Remastered was going to be a good purchase, I still get a game that look much nicer, and Skyrim was getting a bit dated on Console, compared to things like Witcher 3 and even Fallout 4 it just doesn't come close if you really take your time (well the colour tone arguably beats F4's). I get the ability to share my content more easily, either with screenshots (which might not be PC quality, but they'd be damn good), streaming it on Twitch or easily recording video (because on my superior PS4, I don't need to pay for those features :P) and to me those are better than any mod.

But hey, that could just be me and my strangeness, I mean mods are kind of cool (though, honestly when I play modded Skyrim, I spend more time setting up my mods and downloading them than I do playing the game), but they aren't what makes Skyrim Remastered better. Sony's shown me that it's surperior to the XBONE time and time again, so I certainly won't be ditching it (plus I don't have the money...that's an insane cost). 

Here, here DB.

Also, on an unrelated note, in Australia, is it soda, or pop? The thought just struck me for some reason

• 96 posts
    September 10, 2016 6:05 PM EDT
    Damn.
    • 627 posts
    September 10, 2016 7:27 PM EDT

Also, on an unrelated note, in Australia, is it soda, or pop? The thought just struck me for some reason

I've only ever heard it called soft drink, but that might be different elsewhere.

• 1467 posts
    September 10, 2016 7:33 PM EDT

Really I've only ever called it by the specifc name of the drink, I've never asked for a Soda or Pop, just you know Coke or Fanta or whatever...But yeah I guess Soft Drink is mainly what I call it. 

• 558 posts
    September 10, 2016 8:06 PM EDT

Teekus said:

I see Skyrim Remastered as a way for Bethesda to make a bit more cash out of the game yet. Fallout 4 was developed for the PS4 and Xbone and both consoles are not that different from a PC the Xbone especially so. In other words it didn't take much to port the existing Skyrim game to consoles and do a bit of tweaking here and there too. They can push that out, make ton of money from it which will then help fund their next unannounced franchises.

As a high end PC and PS4 owner I don't see the point of existing owners of the original game purchasing the remastered version as the original can be improved vastly by mods enb's etc. I think Bethesda's game was to get more money out of the console audience which hey, I don't have a problem with - if its makes them money to go towards future games then that's only a good thing. They are after all a business which needs to make money to succeed and produce the games we know and love. With a good developer, more cash usually means better games in the future.

I think Bethesda is waiting for the PS5 / Xbox two or whatever they will be called before they think about making ES6. I doubt we will be seeing ES6 until at least 2022 unless the PC version comes out first.

To me, it seems like Bethesda is waiting for Project Scorpio to come out before they make ES6. Todd Howards comments point towards this conclusion. Playstation has no equivalent, so ES6 might be a high end PC/ProjScorp only game. There is pretty much a 100% chance that they will make ES6 a version for Virtual Reality. I just hope that isn't the only version.

• 312 posts
    September 10, 2016 11:28 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Time to join the superior race, Paul. Xbone ftw.

Pfft. I can't trust Microsoft after the crap they tried to pull with the XBOne and Win 10.

• 743 posts
    September 11, 2016 1:42 PM EDT

Teekus said:

RogueSilver said:

They said they wanted to wait till the technology is available to do it justice plus they wanted to release a couple more games based on other franchises first rather than a vending machine i.e press the elder scrolls button, press fallout, rinse, repeat. Add development time as well I'm guessing 2021 / 2022 by the time we see it.

As for Bonelord's earlier question about high end PC's I have an i7-4790K, 16Gb RAM, GTX970 and SSD storage. I expect it to last me 10 years with a graphics card upgrade or two during that time. The i7-4790K is a bit of an overkill for today's games. True an i5-4690 would have been more suitable but it was only around £40 more for the i7 so it made sense to get the fastest CPU at the time. That system cost me £1199 - I still have my Pentium 4 system as well that cost me over £2000 many years ago. That has been relegated to games for the kids to tit about on now.

The issue is that no one wants to wait another 5 years minimum to even get a tease for TES6. The Elder Scrolls community can only wait so long before rumors start becoming more and more prominent.

• 50 posts
    September 11, 2016 3:33 PM EDT

The way I took Hine's comments is exactly that - it'll be 5 years or more before ES6 as they want to concentrate on new franchises / games first and take a break from Elder Scrolls. I don't want to wait 5 years but I think this will be the case.

• 743 posts
    September 11, 2016 4:53 PM EDT

Teekus said:

The way I took Hine's comments is exactly that - it'll be 5 years or more before ES6 as they want to concentrate on new franchises / games first and take a break from Elder Scrolls. I don't want to wait 5 years but I think this will be the case.

If that's the case, I fear for our community.

• September 11, 2016 6:14 PM EDT

Yes and me also, it would be a real shame to loose what we have here, having said that the community is over 6 years old now and still growing, I am not sure that any delay will harm us that much, however another 5 years to wait for the next ES IS NOT GOOD, not for Bethesda, not for their fans, like I said before Remastered is a sweet for us to chew on untill they get their arse in gear

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:03 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

Yes and me also, it would be a real shame to loose what we have here, having said that the community is over 6 years old now and still growing, I am not sure that any delay will harm us that much, however another 5 years to wait for the next ES IS NOT GOOD, not for Bethesda, not for their fans, like I said before Remastered is a sweet for us to chew on untill they get their arse in gear

My thoughts exactly, Bonelord.

• 694 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:13 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Bonelord said:

My thoughts exactly, Bonelord.

Let us hope it doesn't take another five yrs... I will be pretty cranky if it actually takes that long!

• September 12, 2016 12:24 PM EDT

Nice to have your input Ed, we can only hope, and if cranky is an American expression for, exasperated, then ill be cranky too, lol

• 773 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:32 PM EDT

What I can't get my heard around is why Bethesda seemingly has to work on only one project at a time. I mean, its not as if they are some back-bedroom operation with a couple of guys, and they can't afford to employ more people...

With the amount of money they must have made from Skyrim and Fallout 4, they could easily afford to emply sufficient people to be simultaneously working on several projects at once. Why they keep spinning this 'we want to work on other projects first' line is a complete mystery to me

I can only assume that Todd Howard is actually a control freak who cannot bear not to have his finger on the pulse of everything that goes on at Bethesda. And when Pete Hines says 'we want to focus on other projects first' what he actually means is 'Todd can't let anything happen without him being involved'.

I can't think of another reason why Bethesda couldnt just employ another, separate in-house development team to be working on Elder Scrolls VI at the same time as working on these other projects that they keep mentioning.

• 15 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:37 PM EDT

I believe Bethesda is barely working on TES6 right now. They have to end the engine they used for Fallout 4 and Skyrim, the Creation Engine. Creation Engine is just too old to go forward with. They have to develop or find a new engine first, one that they can use for all of their games during this console generation. Without a shiny new engine it will be difficult for them to do much work on TES6. They can do a lot but they cannot outright go full steam ahead.

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:39 PM EDT

Paul said:

What I can't get my heard around is why Bethesda seemingly has to work on only one project at a time. I mean, its not as if they are some back-bedroom operation with a couple of guys, and they can't afford to employ more people...

With the amount of money they must have made from Skyrim and Fallout 4, they could easily afford to emply sufficient people to be simultaneously working on several projects at once. Why they keep spinning this 'we want to work on other projects first' line is a complete mystery to me

I can only assume that Todd Howard is actually a control freak who cannot bear not to have his finger on the pulse of everything that goes on at Bethesda. And when Pete Hines says 'we want to focus on other projects first' what he actually means is 'Todd can't let anything happen without him being involved'.

I can't think of another reason why Bethesda couldnt just employ another, separate in-house development team to be working on Elder Scrolls VI at the same time as working on these other projects that they keep mentioning.

Great points, Paul. It adds onto the list of this simply not making any sense, and it worries me the further we go.

• 557 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:41 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

With all this chatter about high end PCs, I was wondering what price tag would be on such, in UK Pounds, I speak of a PC that could run Games such as Skyrim Remastered, and the Mods that go with same, I would hope for technology could last around 5 years before an upgrade would be required, anyone any ideas? Please

I just traded my PS4 to someone yesterday for an Xbox One, then bought a new copy of Fallout. 

• 743 posts
    September 12, 2016 12:42 PM EDT

Hawkward said:

I believe Bethesda is barely working on TES6 right now. They have to end the engine they used for Fallout 4 and Skyrim, the Creation Engine. Creation Engine is just too old to go forward with. They have to develop or find a new engine first, one that they can use for all of their games during this console generation. Without a shiny new engine it will be difficult for them to do much work on TES6. They can do a lot but they cannot outright go full steam ahead.

The engine excuse isn't really an excuse, Hawk. Take Assassin's creed for example, they alternate engines almost every 2-3 years. It doesn't take THAT long when you put it all into perspective.