Forums » General Gaming

Fallout or Elder Scrolls?

• 6 posts
    May 31, 2016 2:16 PM EDT

Hey people of the blog! My name's Stephanie, my friends call me Steph. I'm new here as most of you'll probably know. I want to make a name for myself here if you'll let me as a whole. I know a Shepard's gotta protect his flock but I'm simply asking if I could perhaps join the flock and make this party train move a little faster. I used to write years ago and when I heard of this site I nearly geeked all over the floor! But that's enough about me, as the title implies do you favor the Fallout or ES franchise and why?

I personally could never single one out. It's like owning two children and trying to figure out which one is better. I guess you could say they're my children, as I don't have any of my own.

First off, Skyrim has been one heck of a ride for a long time. I've enjoyed it so much in fact, I probably have 10 different characters. It's been my baby that I couldn't get rid of, and Fallout's been the cradle that held it. Sure, I got bored from time to time only to jump from Skyrim to Fallout! If all else failed, Thing 2 was there to save me. I honestly don't know what I would've done without them by my side.

So I think I've rambled far enough, proved my point. Let me know what you all think, that is if I've been accepted in to the flock! 

• 273 posts
    May 31, 2016 2:30 PM EDT

Elder Scrolls because guns and monsters <<< mythical creatures and swords

• 55 posts
    May 31, 2016 2:36 PM EDT
    Welcome to the site! Glad you have you join our humble community. I too really love both Skyrim and Fallout! However, I do know that Skyrim certainly is my favorite and I have thousands of hours of time invested in so many wonderful characters and it is by far my favorite game of all time. I have long played TES games since Morrowind came out but Fallout 4 is my first in that franchise. That said I love, love, love playing it now and have several builds that I have been or want to make to contribute to the community, something that Skyrim never brought out in me….then again I do have like 50 pages of biographies and backgrounds for all those denizens of the 4th era……At any rate, yes, welcome and yay Bethesda games!
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 31, 2016 2:52 PM EDT

Elder Scrolls is one of the greatest fantasy settings I have ever come upon. The sheer depth and complexity of it's lore expands upon the mythological roots of human cultures across the planet.

Fallout, in comparison, looks like it was dug out from a pile of detritus upon the Wastelands it so prominently displays in it's game.

• 140 posts
    May 31, 2016 3:23 PM EDT

Definitely Elder Scrolls. I hate just about everything Fallout has to offer (See This Discussion for more details), but on the other hand, the Elder Scrolls is far more diverse and unique.

• 140 posts
    May 31, 2016 3:26 PM EDT

I couldn't agree more, Tom.

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 3:28 PM EDT

I personally don't have a preference. While Fallout doesn't have too many pretty locations, I do like the alterations to our timeline, be they major or minor, and some of the guns and creatures are awesome/terrifying. All of Tom's points about ES...I agree

• 1483 posts
    May 31, 2016 3:48 PM EDT

Well, I'd go for both. Fallout for its focus on survival and dialogue which Skyrim only achieves when heavily modded or not at all. Skyrim, for the sheer freedom it gives when creating characters, both in gameplay and roleplay potential Fallout is more rigid. 

Overall, I tend to jump between the two. 

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:06 PM EDT

True, though NV had the best roleplay potential

• 203 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:12 PM EDT

I personally think that saying it "expands upon the mythological roots of human cultures across the planet" is taking it a few steps too far, seeing how diverse and intricate religions and cultures are on this beautiful ball of dirt we call home. And to be honest Tom, while I have nothing against you and am not religious in any way, it makes you look like an ignorant prick.

Now that's out of the way, I personally prefer the TES setting, but like playing the FO series nonetheless (quite a lot even), I switch between them quite often. What I don't get is why people keep comparing the games just because they're both Bethesda games (I don't see you comparing Dishonored with Doom for example, why? because that would be idiotic); the only similarity they have is in core gameplay: that is being open world games. While in the setting of this site I can understand why people would have a favorite (damn so do I) but I don't think you should compare them as if they're games from the same series.

• 411 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:22 PM EDT
    Elder Scrolls no doubt.

However i do enjoy Fallout quite a bit. Mostly due to its Dark humor and setting. Also its not afraid of crazy stuff such as Pyskers or Ghosts,Aliens,Holy hand grenades. Also [Spoiler] Immortal family that vampire off there father that they keep in there basement at a Insane asylum.
    • 203 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:24 PM EDT

I personally love the Elder Scrolls, was introduced to them in Oblivion, and have played the living divines out of Skyrim, despite that only a handful of characters ever made it past level 20, let alone 50 (only two contenders). And it is my clear favorite from the two main games this site features, hell it might even be my favorite game so far (if the hours I've clocked into it are to be believed). From the deep lore, the exotic races and cultures, damn even Morrowind's combat system, to the epic vistas of Sovngarde and the Daedric realms, there is no way I could have ever not loved it.

On the other hand I appreciate playing Fallout as well. It is in fact my go-to FPS now-a-days (was an avid Halo player for a while). While I know the earlier games were more RPG than FPS (they weren't FPS to begin with), I also think that Bethesda and Obsidian did a great job of translating it into an RPG flavoured/centered (depending on the game) FPS, I spent hours in NV, am still exploring FO3 and thought until recently I had mastered FO4 (what a change in playstyle can't bring). And what can I say, I'm a sucker for post-apocalypse settings, and given Fallout usually comes with a nice balance of humor and gloominess makes it even better.

And before I forget, of course you're accepted in the flock! The more the merrier.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 31, 2016 5:45 PM EDT

I personally think that saying it "expands upon the mythological roots of human cultures across the planet" is taking it a few steps too far, seeing how diverse and intricate religions and cultures are on this beautiful ball of dirt we call home.And to be honest Tom, while I have nothing against you and am not religious in any way, it makes you look like an ignorant prick.

Besides pissing me off, what the fuck are you talking about? Because you either don't know anything about the lore of this series (Elder Scrolls), or you've misread what I stated. In either case, you're talking out of your ass.

What I don't get is why people keep comparing the games just because they're both Bethesda games (I don't see you comparing Dishonored with Doom for example, why? because that would be idiotic); the only similarity they have is in core gameplay: that is being open world games.

I don't give two shits about Dishonored and Doom, for example. One can compare any two games if they so desired, and since the topic of this thread is opinions on Fallout vs. Elder Scrolls, I fucking compared the two games together.

While in the setting of this site I can understand why people would have a favorite (damn so do I) but I don't think you should compare them as if they're games from the same series.

That's nice. You really shouldn't be commenting in this thread then.

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 5:49 PM EDT

DIshonored has quite a bit of Lovecraft inspired lore, you should check it out

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 31, 2016 5:56 PM EDT

I'll have to add it to my list of games to check out. I don't have much of a budget for video games, and I've been eyeing Total War: Warhammer.

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 6:01 PM EDT

Hmm, nice choice. Tough decision

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 31, 2016 6:33 PM EDT

It looks really good. I'm not that familiar with Warhammer lore, but I'm more interested in the RTS and aesthetic. I'm not sure if my laptop can run it though.

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 6:35 PM EDT

I'm more familiar with 40K then Warhammer Fantasy, but Dawn of War is a 40K RTS I believe

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 31, 2016 6:50 PM EDT

I've played in a Warhammer 40k Black Crusade game, and I really didn't find much to enjoy in it.

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 7:23 PM EDT

Eh, I guess the Tabletop game, and Space Marine, a third person shooter, are better

• 708 posts
    May 31, 2016 7:34 PM EDT

Welcome to the blog, Steph. I'm sure you'll fit right in here

Like you I enjoy both Fallout and the Elder Scrolls. I think TES is one of the best fantasy settings around and it only gets better the more you immerse yourself in it. My first TES game was Morrowind back when I was 11 (10 years ago now!) and your appreciation of the setting and the stories they are telling in it only grows over time as you learn more about the world, its history, inhabitants and cultures. Many of my friends didn't enjoy ESO so much since they just skipped through most of the dialogue. Being the TES nerd I am I scoured every conversation and sought out new books to expand my knowledge. It was especially great to explore and experience some of the places and events that had only been mentioned in books before.

Fallout is still a lot of fun but I don't find the setting nearly as compelling. I haven't done more than 2 playthroughs of 3 or New Vegas. Don't get me wrong though - New Vegas was absolutely stellar for my first playthrough! Fallout 4 has some really fun gameplay but the RPG elements are a bit lacking. I've still managed to get about 250 hours out of it (down a little from my 1200 in Skyrim) and I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point.

• 122 posts
    May 31, 2016 8:37 PM EDT

I like both, however the dystopian wasteland feel of Fallout is sort of a turnoff for me, and Skyrim is freaking gorgeous. I like playing with the Automaton DLC to make neat robots in Fallout, but I still prefer Skyrim even with its age. 

• 59 posts
    May 31, 2016 9:18 PM EDT

i agree with you. right now its fallout. a month ago it was skyrim. it depends

• 45 posts
    May 31, 2016 11:52 PM EDT
    I've killed a legendary deathclaw with a chainsaw and a grenade launcher, and slain legendary dragons on legendary difficulty. I've seen the throat of the world, and the ass end of the mojave. And I can honestly say that given the choice between the wasteland and tamriel, I'd sooner sell my soul to molag bal, than even spit in the general direction of another gods damned cazador!
    • 367 posts
    June 1, 2016 1:21 AM EDT

Awwwooo Steph

It's nice to see new members coming out of the shadows and taking a run with the pack. I'm sure you'll be fine here. We're a friendly bunch.

As to what game I prefer, well I’ve been playing TES games ever since Morrowind came out. I’ve tackled Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and I still play all three; although I hardly change my character but that’s for a few reasons.