Forums » Fallout

Thoughts on Automatron DLC (Some Spoilers)

• 248 posts
    March 31, 2016 5:55 PM EDT

I happened to have started a new build and playthrough about 3 or 4 weeks before Automatron dropped.And luckily enough, it fit perfectly with the vibe. So as soon as it released I hopped right in and ran through the quest line. 

Pros: 
    -Aesthetics: I personally love the look of the robots, new areas, armor and other additions.
    -Build your own robot companions(s) and "guards": I built a few extra guard posts and assigned my robots to keep watch. Needless to say, the occasional attacks don't last very long. The general feel this adds to settlements is not to be overlooked. My character is a tinkerer/inventor/scientist and so it went perfectly.
    -New Raider "faction": The Rust Devils are robot hoarding raiders. They drop the new armor - Robot Armor, which is sort of a metal variant with better energy ratings.
    -Robotics Expert Perk: this perk is really powerful for the DLC...maybe even essential considering many of the best robot build mods require it. But as a battlefield tactician, the perk opens up a lot more combat options.
    -Robot Level Independence: Similar to the regular game, at times I was totally crushing the enemy robots I encountered. Then, every once in a while one would absolutely annihilate me in one hit (think Assaultron Head Laser Beam). I like how this makes it feel a little more "real."

Cons:
    -Questline Length: I personally found it to be too short. I think it only added 3 hours max to the play time. It's too bad, because all-in-all I really enjoyed what there was of it.
    -Lack of New Locations: There are really only 2 new locations. Again, it's a shame there aren't more, because they are really great looking. WANT MOAR!!!
    -Required Perks for Robot Building: One of the big complaints I've seen is that you have to have robotics expert, science, armorer, gun nut 1, and even blacksmith to fully realize the full compliment of robot mods. As I said, I had a high intelligence crafting type character already ready to play so it wasn't a problem. But for those who want to add this DLC to an existing leveled character with none or a few of these perks used, it could be frustrating.

That's about it on my initial thoughts. I should have a build featuring some of this coming out in the next few weeks.

What are your thoughts? 

Have it? Played it? Love it? Hate it?

• 404 posts
    March 31, 2016 5:59 PM EDT

it's cool. I got 2 of the new Head pieces. the EyeBot and the Assaultron one.

• 248 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:01 PM EDT

I think the armor addition is maybe my fav part - helmets being a major aesthetic improvement

• 404 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:03 PM EDT

the Assaultron one moves.

• 268 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:07 PM EDT
    Didn't pick it up. It just seemed like a bit of a money whore on Bethesda's part to me, and I've never been that interested in the whole building/crafting aspect of Fallout 4. Waiting on Far Harbour, I'll take new areas/items/perks over more crafting/settlement shit any day! A couple of friends who have the game love Automatron though, but they also complain about needing all the perks. It's sort of oriented at a robot/crafter centric build (surprised I haven't seen one of those yet, was expecting a ton of "The Survivalist" or "The Mechanist" builds or something :D).
    • 1441 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:11 PM EDT

I really like the DLC, and I will do a Survivalist style character once Survival Mode drops

• 411 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:12 PM EDT
    same here Chris
    • 248 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:16 PM EDT

Yeah Raid - I think that's fair. It's why I sort of pointed out how my character really thrived on the new content. To be honest, it might not add that much to someone not interested in crafting and robots or revamping an existing character around all of those new perks. Totally understandable. 

Far Harbour with a huge new landmass to explore = universal awesome (I hope!)

• 248 posts
    March 31, 2016 6:16 PM EDT

I know we're all excited about the survival mode...it will def add A LOT more hours to the game...especially with limited fast travel.

• 1217 posts
    March 31, 2016 8:11 PM EDT
    I generally agree. I didn't mind the length of the quest, but the perk requirements have proved really irksome.