Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4: Survival Mode Details

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    March 29, 2016 10:26 PM EDT

"Taken together, it creates a Fallout experience unlike before. You feel the wasteland.”
    – Todd Howard; BGS Game Director, Survivor

It's coming. You can already download the Survival Mode Beta if you're on Steam, and provide some helpful feedback to Bethesda here.

Are you pissed off because you don't play on PC and can't download the beta? Well, you should be. But don't worry, because for you console players Bethesda has also released a little treat: some precious information on Survival Mode. Here's an interesting excerpt, you can find the full article here.

Tough Choices

At a high level, we wanted to force you to make interesting choices. We did that by bringing more contrasting motivations to Fallout 4 using the type of circular systems you might find in a game like Dark Souls. (By which we mean, two or more systems that push against each other.) This resulted in four major pillars for Survival Mode.

1. Strategy: Intensify decisions involving when to get into combat versus when to avoid it, and also make you think more about what gear to take into combat. Then back up those decisions with faster, more brutal fights.

2. Exploration: Slow down the pace of the game and encourage players to explore the nooks and crannies of the world.

3. Resource Management: Balance out items in the world that may be too easy to acquire or horde, giving players more to consider when planning their current loadout.

4. Role Playing: Increase the realism of the world and the issues one might face there.

Take some time to read through that article, there is some good amount of information there. Once you do, please, tell us your impressions, your expectations, if the way you feel about Survival Mode has changed and all that quality talk. If you're on PC, perhaps you can download and play the beta? It would be some golden opportunity for us to have our own dweller's impressions on this new addition to Fallout 4!

I myself will be downloading it, but will only be able to play it tomorrow afternoon. I'll make sure to return here and tell you guys how good (or bad) it is!

• 98 posts
    March 30, 2016 9:15 PM EDT
    I cannot wait for this to hit the Ps4. I've got my build planned and everything.
    • 558 posts
    March 30, 2016 9:19 PM EDT
    Same. I think my opinion of the game might change after I play survival.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 2, 2016 1:07 PM EDT

One of the major complaints people seem to be having with Survival Mode is saving. While I agree that it is awfully inconvenient for the player once immediate RL stuff strikes you (someone was complaining that he didn't like having to come back all the way to Diamond City just so he can go to sleep... I was thinking about more serious situations), there is an easy solution: allow players to carry sleeping bags. There's already a mod for that, but Beth could surely expand on it.

• 1441 posts
    April 2, 2016 1:16 PM EDT

True, true

• 1217 posts
    April 2, 2016 4:57 PM EDT
    I really like the concept of survival mode, but I am concerned about the frequency it will require us to eat/drink. But the changes to combat, the requirements for saving, the carry weight adjustments; it'll drastically change the game, and in very fun ways, I think!
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 2, 2016 6:09 PM EDT

Regarding base needs, I hope they find a way to tone it down before releasing it to everyone. Right now, it's way too frequent, likely because of how the time scale works in FO4. Sometimes you go to sleep fine and wake up to absurdly high levels of starvation.