Forums » Elder Scrolls

Starter tips for Elder Scrolls Online?

• 773 posts
    March 28, 2016 8:14 AM EDT

OK so I decided to take a break from blasting everything in The Commonwealth

It  was my birthday the other week, and I received an Amazon voucher which I just spent on a copy of ESO for the PS4. Should be here tomorrow

So I wondered if anyone had any starter tips for me? Things I really need to know about as I get started, useful tips, tricks and hints

Help me out guys 

• 1595 posts
    March 28, 2016 8:17 AM EDT

Well happy belated birthday Paul Advice? You'll lose your heart to Queen Ayrenn if you go Old Mary 

Something more useful? Crafting is confusing at first but it pays to start on a crafting skill early. If you like heavy armour, for example, start smithing and researching as soon as you can. Researching happens in the background and takes six hours plus in real time. It happens in the background though so don't worry. 

• 708 posts
    March 28, 2016 8:24 AM EDT

Hi Paul

Oneness wrote an excellent starter guide over in the Elder Scrolls Online group, would definitely recommend checking it out!

• 215 posts
    March 28, 2016 10:09 AM EDT

I just recently started.  Not sure if add-ons work on PS4 but if they do grab a couple...lol.

1. You can do all crafting skills no matter your class so take all six.  I heard it's easy to get enough points into them.
    2. Join a guild for dump bank space.  Inventory management is the worst. 
    3. For the crafting dailies, try to do these as they seem to be the best way to get the advanced materials you want/need.  No other reason to really skill up to waste your materials.
    4. Disenchant (well they call it deconstruct in ESO) all gear not made by you.  Get materials and best way to "learn" the skills to improve your crafting.
    5. Wander off the beaten path, materials and reagents are usually not right on the walkways so you have to go hunt for them.
    6. Put a perk into "Eye" for each crafting type.  This allows a reagent to "glow" and from a farther distance away making gathering much easier.
    7. Oh, on Wayshrines.  It does cost money to fast travel to a wayshrine...BUT if you are at another Wayshrine then it's free.  So see if you have a WS near you and save that 100g expense.  That will add up quickly.
    8. Another point that is good to spend is on hirelings in your crafting abilites.  Basically they become your farmers and send you materials daily.  It doesn't keep you from farming materials...but you can get some good/rare ones from the hirelings.

• 773 posts
    March 28, 2016 2:05 PM EDT

Cheers Ponty, I'll certainly read that 

• 773 posts
    March 28, 2016 2:08 PM EDT

Thanks John - some good stuff there 

• 224 posts
    March 28, 2016 9:32 PM EDT

I can tell you there are "three kind of way to play it", pve, pvp or playing dungeons in groups (and pledges), If you enjoy doing quests, following the stories and getting experience, you should try pve first, Its good to play it solo sometimes, the world is so huge, it seems never stop of growing up, the quests never ends (by the updates),  you can try playing pvp If you are competitive, its really fun, you have to join to Cyrodiil to join pvp (in tabs) and there the key for success is working in groups, I enjoy a lot playing it, you can also try doing group dungeons or pledges (special dungeons), you need a group by at least 4 people because the dungeons are almost impossible doing them solo. In all kind of ways to play it, you will get big rewards, one thing I like about ESO is really balanced respect the xp you get doing different kind of things, you can be in a high level and do a common quest and you will be rewarded getting a good quantity of experience, not too much but not very little. That can I tell you, and respect build you have a lot of possibilities and play in different ways, but I recommend you start focusing in a few skills and make them level up, instead of leveling up in all skills at the same time, I hope this help you in some way

• 136 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:35 PM EDT

How in the heck did I miss this post?!?!?!?!?

John and Medieval gave some solid starting advice. If you would like to know anything specific, I'd be happy to help!

• 136 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:46 PM EDT

I'll add one thing that helped me to use my skills in an efficient manner. In whatever class you choose, that class will have three skill lines (this is in addition to weapons and armor skills). Place at least one skill from each of your class' skill line and a skill from whatever weapon you plan on using on your ability bar. If you do this, all of your skills will level evenly - none will lag behind. A Skill Line will level ONLY if a corresponding skill is placed on an ability bar.