Forums » Elder Scrolls

Viable Priest Build

• 6 posts
    March 19, 2016 6:12 PM EDT

One thing that bothers me with the rendition of the Elder Scrolls Priest is the practice if using blunt weaponry as I feel that weapon gets overused. I'm wondering if anyone has built and run through a more divine style priest along the lines of Cadderly in the Forgotten Realms. He had some weaponry, but ultimately got by on his faith and his friends until he became more powerful. I've been kicking around a build as follows:

Race: Breton - the magic resistance and Dragonskin would be huge.

Skills - illusion, restoration, alteration, speech, enchanting

Gear - robes, eventually enchanted monk robes, but other college robes and hood would be a start. Also thinking staffs for offensive/summoning purposes. These can be found, purchased, or made. Outside of that no other weapons, and no strong offensive magics.

Role Play

You are in Skyrim to put an end to the war, stop the dragons and ultimately return peace to the land. A good melee follower as well as a dog, horse, and any staff summons would help. Illusion for crowd control, restoration for dealing with the undead, and alteration for protection as you are only wearing robes. Enchanting seems logical as dealing with the soul is a divine practice.

Thoughts and other ideas on the reality of this kind of character?

• 215 posts
    March 19, 2016 6:19 PM EDT

I like Cadderly.  I did a cleric based (D&D) character with as close to the class rules as I could.  More a support role with a follower/companion doing the tanking for you but with the ability to strap on a shield if needed.

• 6 posts
    March 19, 2016 6:32 PM EDT

I've toyed with adding a shield to the concept, mage armor is still effective and additional defense would help. I think a ward spell seems more priestly and am leaning towards those. I'm going to try and flesh this out more and give it a run.