Forums » Fallout

Non-Fallout Fans: What do you dislike about Fallout?

• 273 posts
    March 2, 2016 2:11 PM EST

I've never played Fallout, I'm sure I could like it if I tried it, but the only problem is GUNS! I HATE GUN GAMES! The reason I love RPGs like TES and Dark Souls is because they don't involve firearms, something about them just really doesn't appeal to me, if Fallout didn't have guns (Which is a pretty stupid idea considering Fallout's combat, as far as I know, is made up of guns), then it'd be a lot more appealing to me.

• 1441 posts
    March 2, 2016 2:13 PM EST

There are melee weapons.Bloodborne has firearms, but they are mainly used to stagger

• 273 posts
    March 2, 2016 2:18 PM EST

I know that, but I just can't enjoy a game that involves guns, its one of the many reasons why I dislike CoD and Battlefield.

I guess what I meant is I don't like worlds with guns, if I'm using a melee weapon and the rest of the world is firing at me I feel stupid (Kirito in the Gungale Arc didn't have this problem ) Then again if I'm using a gun, I don't like that either because I genuinely don't like them at all.

I'm not trying to bash at FO, I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to me as much as, say Skyrim, Oblivion or Dark Souls.

• 1441 posts
    March 2, 2016 2:37 PM EST

I understand, I'd prefer to walk around with a sword than a gun IRL. Still, one interesting game, on the WII though, was Crimson Steel. 

• 215 posts
    March 2, 2016 4:18 PM EST

Honestly for me it's a "shooter" thing.  I have never been a big fan of first person shooter games.  I bought FO:NV on Steam when it was almost free but played it twice and pretty much gave it up.  It didn't feel like it flowed; it didn't seem to have any real rhyme or reason that grabbed me from the start (granted getting shot in the head and left for dead was interesting) but it didn't carry over very long and I didn't see much in the way of flow of the game on where to go, what to do, etc.  But basically, I hate shooters and can't say I've ever enjoyed one going all the way back to Doom and before.  But hey, that's personal preference.

• 13 posts
    March 2, 2016 4:57 PM EST
    I enjoy the game. I try not to compare it to elder scrolls games, it's not meant to be the same. I play it as a immersive fps and can really get into it, it doesn't restrict my imagination at all.

That being said, I have some gripes. I don't like that you have to choose a faction. It forces you to start over at some point, you can't really do that one 200 hour build that completes every quest possible. Again I get a fps is more linear and this is supposed to be fps+, but it would've been nice to go back and do say the Brotherhood quests after running the railroads quests to the end.

Gun selection is kinda weak too. You would think with only maybe 2 or 3 types of ammo for energy weapons that we would get a little more variety. The mod system is ok, but they put way too much stock into it. That's why they thought a bunch of shitty pipe weapons were ok, because you can just modify them. Well they still suck after you modify them so there goes that.

Believe it or not I really like the perk system. I hated it at first but got used to it and started to understand it better, and now I really like planning out my build based on what perks I wanna try out this time. It always happens for me. When oblivion came out I hated the leveling system, it wasn't morrowind. Same with Skyrim, I hated it until this site showed me how to exploit it. Now I would love to see morrowind remade with skyrim' leveling system. But getting back to my point, I think the leveling/perk system is way more versatile than it seems at first glance
  • March 3, 2016 8:26 PM EST

Bethesda.

• March 4, 2016 2:32 AM EST

Having watched my husband play Fallout (might only have been 3 not 4 but I think the gripe still applies), the reason I havn't even picked it up is the look of the series. TES portrays a world I WANT to spend time in. It looks not only beautiful, but welcoming too - the houses and inns are cosy, and places you might actually want to live. There's deer and butterflies and leaping fish in the streams. You can chop wood and smith while happy children play tag in the background and feel that yes, while there is darkness and threats in this world there is also normality and warmth and your character has a chance at a good life.

Now the Skyrim people life in a world with low tech and a harsh (ish) environment and they manage to make their homes and villages nice. The Fallout folk all seem to live in slums. I get that there's been an apocalypse, but you that means can't clean, or nail a floorboard straight?? I saw a video of house construction in Fallout 4 and it seems that everything is wonkey, as if your house had been thrown up and then neglected for 50 years. As well as being depressing, I don't buy it - in those circumstances communities would benefit from being neat, organised and making things as well made as they could.  

• 1467 posts
    March 4, 2016 2:40 AM EST

I should specify, I am a Fallout Fan, just not a Fallout 4 fan. I had a lot of fun with 3, not enough to give it more than 20-30 hours but a lot of fun, and Fallout NV was a really awesome game that I'll probably keep coming back after and run Melee and Sniper Characters, or a tribal assassin, that'd be awesome. Anyway the point is I really love these games.

Fallout New Vegas was the best in the series by a long shot, it was a fully developed world with more character than 3 or 4, and it had throwing spears. When a game gives me Spears, I give it positive reviews and my eternal love, especially when I can throw them 

• 140 posts
    March 4, 2016 6:11 AM EST

I think the main reason Bethesda makes houses look so run-down in Fallout is to add to effect that everything's supposed to be long abandoned. It sort of makes sense for the houses that are actually abandoned, but I agree that ones people still live in should look more well made.

• 13 posts
    March 4, 2016 7:26 AM EST
    This got me good. Fallout 4 honest trailer http://youtu.be/Y90uj8hs78c
    • 739 posts
    March 4, 2016 8:55 AM EST

Loved it! 

• 13 posts
    March 4, 2016 9:27 AM EST
    I've said "ooh, is that aluminum?" out loud so many times

That video reminds me though, I got used to Skyrim saving every 4 steps and don't save nearly enough. I fell off the bottom level of Trinity Towers after beating everything and taking the elevator down and died, and my last save was before I fought Fist. I turned it off and went to bed
    • 1441 posts
    March 4, 2016 9:51 AM EST

Kind of have to agree Dragon

• 40 posts
    March 15, 2016 6:35 PM EDT

I had the same problem with the landscape. It was so horribly bleak. I recently fixed that using mods (Flora Overhaul Forested edition and Fellout). It still looks very very much like a post-apocalyptic world with all the destruction and ruins but as if nature had started to reclaim it.

As it turns out its not un-scientific either. I did some research and found that plant life can thrive in those conditions (Chernobyl, Hiroshima, Nagasaki) and in fact has shown adaptability to radiation. Plus, for humans and mutants to survive you'd need an eco-system which starts with plants converting sun in to energy.

So, ya, now I'm loving Fallout 3 and eventually will check out Fallout 4. I hope there's a mod to add some green by then.

This post was edited by Game at September 1, 2016 4:17 PM EDT
    • 288 posts
    March 16, 2016 4:08 AM EDT

Fallout/Non-Fallout fans and "Fallout" can be somewhat different concepts depending on perspective.

I was definitely a fan of the original Interplay Fallouts (1 and 2). I'm not a particularly huge fan of the Bethesda ones, although I did play F4 for some time, even completed the main story twice; however I never even finished F3, found it extremely boring and lacking.

So, as a general perspective, I am a Fallout fan. But from a Bethesda only perspective I'm more of a non-Fallout fan.

And in that aspect my main gripes with the Bethesda Fallouts lie in what was lost from the originals. Gone is the tactical turn-based combat that allowed you to outsmart the opposition rather than just outgun them. Gone is the option for non-violent playthroughs; too many combat now, too few conversations. Gone is the party based setup. Gone are some of the more mature elements. At last but not least, gone is the option to kill anyone you please (there were no essential characters in F1 and F2). And I still havent's seen an enemy in the Bethesda Fallouts that can top Frank Horrigan in badassery (Your ride's over, mutie. Time to die).

As for the post-apocalytpic setting - I'm generally not a fan and usually prefer medieval fantasy settings. However Fallout somehow does it well and it doesn't bother me much.

• 140 posts
    March 16, 2016 6:17 AM EDT

It actually doesn't look too bad with more greenery. For some reason it kinda reminds me of Oblivion, too.

• 40 posts
    March 16, 2016 8:49 AM EDT

Ya, I can't play without it, honestly. The vanilla landscape was way too bleak (what the hell does everyone and everything eat? canned food?) 

This post was edited by Game at September 1, 2016 4:16 PM EDT
    • 40 posts
    March 16, 2016 8:55 AM EDT

Also, I found that there are some greenery mods for Fallout 4 already.

• 207 posts
    March 18, 2016 7:31 PM EDT

Everytime you talk of the possibility of a Voiced Protagonist in ESVI it feels like you announce the apocalypse. *shudders*

• 1441 posts
    May 31, 2016 3:30 PM EDT

There are still quite a few mature elements in Fallout, and it IS possible to do a non violent run