Forums » Fallout

[MAIN QUEST SPOILERS] So how was your reign of terror?

• 203 posts
    February 25, 2016 3:44 PM EST

One of my favourite songs is a song by Coldplay, you probably know it. It's Viva la vida. I personally do not care too much about the melody but I adore the lyrics. The song features the last thoughts of a king as revolutionaries are breaching the gates of his palace and he makes his peace with the world. Said king went from being idolized and having his name sung by the populace in adoration, to having his home assaulted and probably getting executed. In the song he is both surprised about what is happening and understanding about the whole ordeal, he knows where he fucked up.

So, now that the anti spoiler paragraph is over, let's get to why I brought this up in the first place. I suspect that by now some of you might have finished FO4 at least once and you might know that in the end your chosen faction will probably rule the wasteland, or at least they will have gotten rid of their enemies.

I personally chose to play the Minutemen in my first run (and so far it's the only questline I have completed so let's be as vague as possible about the rest OK). I needed to Google how to do that first as the actions needed to start the questline weren't really instinctive for me (I don't tend to go on killing sprees), but once that was out of the way and Father lay bleeding in his chambers, killed by a father who couldn't believe that that creature was his son, the way was clear for my campaign.

And it was glorious. General A.Keene led a great host of minutemen soldiers to retake the castle, destroy the Institute, blow up the Prydwen (this felt way better than it should have), and Obliterate the Railroad resistance. It was bloody, but now, there was peace.

After the final pièces of the smoldering Prydwen wreckage were salvaged and the war was finally over, I thought back at what brought me to the top, and I was horrified.

See my character became the general to help his fellow men, however sacrifices had to be made for his reunification and I only noticed this when it was all over.

• First of all, to finance the army I had been producing metric tons of jet and had been selling it to anyone with caps, large amounts of wood, or copper. Basicly I had become the biggest drug lord the USA had ever seen.
    • I had created a militarised society with a working policy that bordered on slavery and the only justice was dispensed either by nuclear arsenal or by blasts from the ever so powerful Minutemen artillery: no trials, no prisons, just airstrikes and bullets to the brain.
    • The last point also concerned settlements that weren't happy with my government (Covenant, I do not regret nuking your face off!)
    • The settlements I built were so secure they looked more like we had returned to the french Terreur (a period in the french revolution which was best known for it's record guillotine use) rather than an age of security and unity. And well that probably wasn't too far off.

I had basicly become a dictator, not by deliberate choice but just because I didn't really think about what I had done until the very end. So my question is to you:

What compromises did you make in order to "save" the commonwealth?

• 1441 posts
    February 25, 2016 3:48 PM EST

You have to kill the Railroad? I thought the Minutemen and the Railroad could work together. 

Anyway, SPOILERS for the Institute, but in one playthrough, while there were things my character disagreed with, he felt that using the technology of the Institute, and turning a blind eye to some of the more deplorable acts, stopping some, would allow a better future for the Wasteland.

Another character basically wanted to use the Institute, which he had been a part of before the war, to rule the Wasteland, killing or mutating any that stood in his way

• 203 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:44 PM EST

Well, no I decided that a group having a robot capable of predicting the future would end up being just as dangerous as the institute. so I decided to get rid of them. I still don't understand they weren't prepared to the 50. I put in their heads.

I have been devising a build that would work well with the institute and follow a similar path. Especially since killing Father was probably the hardest choice I ever had to make in a Bethesda game, I wanted to do the minutemen ending just to know how Bethesda would do the whole "General" thing (I was surprised, in good a way) and because it was what my character would do, but killing/betraying your own son... I wasn't happy with the choice I had to make.

• 1441 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:49 PM EST

Well, PAM herself does say her predictions aren´t accurate. Plus, the Minutemen have Mama Murphy

• 203 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:53 PM EST

Oh, that old hag? I did Preston a service and got her clean as soon as I could. So she was basicly useless.

Also, my 50. were accurate, take that Railroad!

• 627 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:53 PM EST

For my latest character it cost him the trust and life of his best friend, it's the only thing he regrets about helping his son.

• 1441 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:55 PM EST

My first character was family over anyone else

• 203 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:58 PM EST

That is a very high price to pay, I mean my character basicly became what we would consider a criminal at best, a dictator otherwise, but sacrificing your best friend for your son... That's a gutpunch waiting to happen.

• 1217 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:58 PM EST
    Your 50?
    • 203 posts
    February 25, 2016 6:00 PM EST

50 caliber sniper rifle rounds

I love that sound.

Btw I don't particularly dislike the railroad, but my character did.

• 627 posts
    February 25, 2016 6:01 PM EST

The character was normally fairly sneaky in combat, but when it came time to confront his friend he walked up to him in the open to give him a fair chance 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 25, 2016 8:02 PM EST

I'm eager to start a new playthrough, I feel like my first interaction with the game was too short and not as deep as it should have.

[Fallout 4 spoilers]

Anyway, my only character also followed the Minutemen questline, though he was a good guy. I didn't had the guts to kill my son, I didn't blow up Prydwen, I left the Railroad alone (if the sole reason for their existence is no longer present, it won't take long for them do disband) and it was a hard decision to nuke the Institute knowing everything they had developed... I even took robot Shaun with me - Yes, he was a robot, but he looked and acted like a kid. How could I leave a kid to die?!

As a general, I like to think I worked really hard to establish a stronger foothold for a safe and civilized community in the entirety of the Commonwealth and not only around the old Boston center, though in-game I only developed The Castle and Sanctuary...